• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sausage!

bugeater61

Kill All Humans
20 Year Member
Anyone do their own sausages? We did some a while back with a kitchen-aid mixer with attachments but it didn’t work real well so we picked up a new one off Amazon which worked really good. First round was a couple of different Thai sausages. Left side is south style and right side is north style.
58D0A2E7-EB64-4E15-ABD0-BE2F92417C58.jpeg

Been making it for years. Mostly mix pork and venison - good eating! There are several mixes/kits you can use or you can do a little research and roll your own. Polish sausage, brats, summer sausage, breakfast sausage....you name it. If you have access to a smoker, it even gets better!

I used to do the same thing with the pork and venison mix. Made my own jerky, etc.

Now it's just added to the list of things I used to do, LOL.

Looks great! When I make mine (usually Florida hogs) I try and stay away from the really sugary mixes as everyone seems to get tired of them after only a few. Lots of good spicy mixes though that are amazing.

Got any good Pork recipes, I don't get too much access to Deer, but I got a stuffer, a grinder, and a smoker, so everything but a good recipe

A couple weeks ago I defrosted a double pack of pork shoulder. Ended up with 8 lbs. of breakfast, 4 lbs. of chorizo, and 4 lbs. of something close to Andouille. I did not link any of it, just vacuum bagged it all in 8 oz. packages and into the freezer. I didn't really scrape the bones, actually I kind of squared off around them and used that to make close to two lbs. of carnitas for dinner, and some for the freezer.

I need to get me some more casings for some smoked poblano sausage that I worked up a recipe for.

A couple weeks ago I defrosted a double pack of pork shoulder. Ended up with 8 lbs. of breakfast, 4 lbs. of chorizo, and 4 lbs. of something close to Andouille. I did not link any of it, just vacuum bagged it all in 8 oz. packages and into the freezer. I didn't really scrape the bones, actually I kind of squared off around them and used that to make close to two lbs. of carnitas for dinner, and some for the freezer.

I need to get me some more casings for some smoked poblano sausage that I worked up a recipe for.

I used to smoke jalapeños almost every year when we lived in Colorado and had completely forgotten about it until I saw this post.

I'm still trying to get out planting beds sorted out from a soil standpoint, so most of my garden is crap. I have produced bushels of damned jalapeños and made almost every dish I could think of with them, froze a bunch, but didn't smoke one.

That will change this summer and now I'm thinking about how to add in sausage making to my schedule.....

I used to smoke jalapeños almost every year when we lived in Colorado and had completely forgotten about it until I saw this post.

I'm still trying to get out planting beds sorted out from a soil standpoint, so most of my garden is crap. I have produced bushels of damned jalapeños and made almost every dish I could think of with them, froze a bunch, but didn't smoke one.

That will change this summer and now I'm thinking about how to add in sausage making to my schedule.....
Last year's peppers just didn't work out. But two years ago I had a pretty big harvest. I ended up with full 32 oz. shakers of smoky Ancho powder, Chipotle powder, and Hatch powder. Any thing that didn't make it into those containers was given to friends.
I also dried and pulverized a mix of cowhorn, cayenne, and habanero just for a quick heat add in stuff that I cook for myself since the wife likes things milder.

Last year's peppers just didn't work out. But two years ago I had a pretty big harvest. I ended up with full 32 oz. shakers of smoky Ancho powder, Chipotle powder, and Hatch powder. Any thing that didn't make it into those containers was given to friends.
I also dried and pulverized a mix of cowhorn, cayenne, and habanero just for a quick heat add in stuff that I cook for myself since the wife likes things milder.

I tried a couple of other types of peppers this year and there were just ravaged by insects. Mini Cajun bell peppers and hot hungarian wax peppers both produced one early crop of a handful of peppers each and then it was a race to see which was chowed down on by the many pests we have down here in the south. They destroyed my tomatoes, kale and butternut squash as well, but didn't hardly touch the jalapenos, save for a hole or two in the leaves. I don't get it. The thing that pissed me off most is I could never find an insect on the plants to explain the damage and the planting beds are covered with hardware cloth to keep birds and such out. I don't like using chemicals, but I may not have a choice.

There is always next year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back