• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sand Volleyball coming to NU

Huskermedic

Retired
Lifetime Member
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The University of Nebraska announced on Wednesday that it will add sand volleyball as a women's intercollegiate sport, beginning with the spring 2013 competition season.[/FONT] [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The addition of sand volleyball to Nebraska's list of sport offerings, gives the Huskers 24 intercollegiate programs, including 14 women's teams and 10 men's teams. Sand volleyball is the first sport Nebraska has added since women's rifle began competition in the 1998-99 season.

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Sand volleyball was approved as an NCAA Emerging Sport for women in 2009 and began play in the 2011-12 school year. Fifteen schools sponsored varsity teams in the spring of 2012, the first season of competition for Division I schools. The inaugural AVCA Collegiate Sand Volleyball Championships were held last April in Gulf Shores, Ala., and that site will host the championship from 2013 to 2015.

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]More than 20 schools are currently sponsoring sand volleyball, with that number expected to grow in the coming years. When 40 institutions in Division I and II have sponsored varsity programs for one year, the NCAA will sponsor an NCAA Championship in the sport. Should funds be approved for a championship in the next budget cycle, the NCAA would host its first national championship in the spring of 2016.

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nebraska Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst said the majority of the groundwork for the addition of sand volleyball was completed before he took over his position last week. The final steps to Nebraska's sponsorship of sand volleyball were approved by the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference over the past few days.

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Coach Osborne and Coach Cook had discussions about the possibility of adding sand volleyball over the past few months and things came together quickly in recent weeks," Eichorst said. "We are excited to sponsor a sport that is beginning to emerge on the national level, and plan to grow with the sport in the coming years. Our volleyball program has a remarkable record of success over a long period of time, and we hope to add to that legacy through our sand volleyball team in the years ahead."

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nebraska Volleyball Coach John Cook said the growing popularity of sand volleyball made the addition of the sport at Nebraska an attractive option.[/FONT]

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205896263

It is great to see another sport added but this should really help NU in its regular volleyball program as is great increased time with coaches, increases recruiting ability, increases player development, and team cohesiveness.

It is great to see another sport added but this should really help NU in its regular volleyball program as is great increased time with coaches, increases recruiting ability, increases player development, and team cohesiveness.

I agree...but it will also help w/ recuiting iirc Dykstra (sp) transferred cause she wanted to play sand volleyball. Where will the matches be held?

On one of the sandbars in the Platte River. ;)

Cool with me as long as they serve beer
biggrin.gif

Hmmmmm, now that makes 14 sports for women against only 10 for men........so since it would seem we are so way ahead as it pertains to Title X, does this mean we can add 1 or 2 men's sports without adding anymore women's sports?....or is Title X still so overly geared towards women's sports that the men can be -4 but still not be able to legally add a sport?

Hmmmmm, now that makes 14 sports for women against only 10 for men........so since it would seem we are so way ahead as it pertains to Title X, does this mean we can add 1 or 2 men's sports without adding anymore women's sports?....or is Title X still so overly geared towards women's sports that the men can be -4 but still not be able to legally add a sport?

Problem is that it's not the number of sports; but, the number of participants. Football uses a lot of male participants.

I agree. I just had a conversation with a former NU player. She was really excited about it because of how much it helps to improve your overall game. She told me that it really helps you to read hitters better and understand angles. She also stated she had played on their sand and it is really nice. Thought it was interesting.

You don't go by number of sports only but of total scholarships awarded in proportion to the student population, at least that is my understanding of it and i just did a little research to confirm it. (http://www.sadker.org/TitleIX.html)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back