• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sand Pits in NE?

A trip down nostalgia lane, but grew up fishing sandpits and spending more time taking crappie and bullhead off the line then putting bait on the hook. This was near Richland. Are sandpits still good fishing up there?
Fishing is still there, not sure about good fishing,

Where is Richland?

A trip down nostalgia lane, but grew up fishing sandpits and spending more time taking crappie and bullhead off the line then putting bait on the hook. This was near Richland. Are sandpits still good fishing up there?

Yep, those were the days. I fished some nice sandpits around there as a kid. Haven't done that in 40 years, so I don't know how it is these days. Grew up fishing sandpits and farm ponds, and now all I fish is streams. Not sure how that happened. Hope to get back to some pond fishing in retirement.

Yep, those were the days. I fished some nice sandpits around there as a kid. Haven't done that in 40 years, so I don't know how it is these days. Grew up fishing sandpits and farm ponds, and now all I fish is streams. Not sure how that happened. Hope to get back to some pond fishing in retirement.
How did it happen? Well, old Louie found out wealthy Omaha business execs would pay big money to stay in a shack and catch a bunch of fish. I haven't tried streams, just really getting back into fishing.

now all I fish is streams
I wish this were true for me. I grew up fishing ponds, creeks, small reservoirs, and the Missouri River (both the big reservoirs and the wild, natural stretch near Niobrara). After spending the past 15 years fishing small streams all over the world, I'm back where I grew up, taking my kids to city ponds and bumming a boat ride to occasionally catch some walleye. I dream of trout streams and smallmouth streams.

The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess.

Many of the old sandpits have now turned into residential lakes. Built our current house on one of em. The fishing is FANTASTIC. These suckers have been in the lakes for over 30 years.

Walleye, Bass, Crappie, Channel Cat, Perch. There some beautiful lakes near the Platte.

And the sunsets are to die for. Pic below from our deck.

sunset2.jpg

Last edited:

Many of the old sandpits have now turned into residential lakes. Built our current house on one of em. The fishing is FANTASTIC. These suckers have been in the lakes for over 30 years.

Walleye, Bass, Crappie, Channel Cat, Perch. There some beautiful lakes near the Platte.

And the sunsets are to die for. Pic below from our deck.

View attachment 49712
green with envy.

Lots of sand pits around Kearney. My college buddy has some south and east of town and we always catch nice bass there.
well, living in florida is one great big sand pit I guess. A lot of good fishing (fresh water), just have to know which lakes aren't overfished.
1598196822927.png

The biggest of the bunch this a.m.(ok i'm not an expert selfie taker), weighed about 3.5, went through every weed and reed patch on the way in.
what are bass eating up there? Use anything green pumpkin/ chartreuse and after a couple days of rain, they were lively this morning. Plenty of bass, but couldn't get a bluegill to save my life. (I'm particular to those little guys-living in Hastings and walking to Hastings lake with the neighborhood crew catching stringer fulls at the bridge at south end-wonder if it's still there)

well, living in florida is one great big sand pit I guess. A lot of good fishing (fresh water), just have to know which lakes aren't overfished. View attachment 49749
The biggest of the bunch this a.m.(ok i'm not an expert selfie taker), weighed about 3.5, went through every weed and reed patch on the way in.
what are bass eating up there? Use anything green pumpkin/ chartreuse and after a couple days of rain, they were lively this morning. Plenty of bass, but couldn't get a bluegill to save my life. (I'm particular to those little guys-living in Hastings and walking to Hastings lake with the neighborhood crew catching stringer fulls at the bridge at south end-wonder if it's still there)

Nice fish. The water is pretty dingy up here, which is typical this time of year. I've been doing well with a 3/8 oz blue/black jig in the dingy water. Also the early season vegetation has started sinking so now there is a lot of vegetation just under the surface. I've done fairly well bringing a wake bait across the top of the vegetation, or running a chatter bait through it.

Back in 1976 (before I went to Navy Bootcamp) my Dad and I went fishing in the Sand Hills in between Thedford and Valentine. We camped out near one of the lakes. My Dad caught a 3+ pound bull head which was all we caught. That night the mosquito swarms were so huge/bad that as we lay in our tent we could hear them buzzing all night long.

Last edited:
I grew up fishing sand pits, ponds, and canals around North Platte. Last time I fished out there was over 20 years ago when I was visiting in early May. Went out with the intent to fish for a couple hours in the morning and ended up not making it home until dinner. Wipers, largemouth, bluegill were all on fire that day.

I have noticed on recent visits that some of the sand pits around there have been residentialized (is that a word?) like Hskrdavey's pic.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back