• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Samari Curtis is N (To Transfer)

Also a reminder, he is a 3* for a reason.

I am not complaining but I think some need to realize that we are filling out a depleted roster and many of these guys probably (I hope) wouldn't be good enough to join the team 4 years from now.

Or am I expecting too much?
I would expect our roster to have its share of 3* players four years from now as well. And as we see in football, the star system is flawed and tends to get too enamored with AAU participation. 34 points a game, shooting better than 50% is pretty impressive at just about any level.

Of course because we lost the over-whelming majority of our scoring.

But there were going to be 12 guys earning scholarships no matter what.
Seriously? Are you intentionally overestimating the prior roster’s talent for a reason?

I would expect our roster to have its share of 3* players four years from now as well. And as we see in football, the star system is flawed and tends to get too enamored with AAU participation. 34 points a game, shooting better than 50% is pretty impressive at just about any level.
Which is why his offer list is good but not great.

Of course star systems are flawed, but it could be just as flawed in the other direction.

We will see. I have never seen him play but I do know that he is a 3* and he has three offers from pretty good basketball schools. Its all I have to go on.

Seriously? Are you intentionally overestimating the prior roster’s talent for a reason?
What are you talking about? Overestimating? We had no roster. :Signhuh:

I am saying it was going to get filled at some point no matter what.

To note, Virginia Tech offered less than two weeks ago. The Rivals link had Curtis as "100% Virginia Tech."

There were some quality programs interested in his services.

To note, Virginia Tech offered less than two weeks ago. The Rivals link had Curtis as "100% Virginia Tech."

There were some quality programs interested in his services.
VaTech, Cincy and Xavier. Like I said, good offers but not a lot and VaTech had a mass exodus of players as well.

Outsie of VaTech, all of his interest was in-state.

Again, I am not bashing the guy and he is a good recruit.

Last edited:
VaTech, Cincy and Xavier. Like I said, good offers but not a lot and VaTech had a mass exodus of players as well.

There's nothing wrong with in-state interest if you are in a state with several quality hoops programs. Now, if Curtis was from Montana, it'd be another story.

Sure, it would be nice if Hoiberg was reeling in multiple 4 and 5-star recruits right off the bat. But the vast majority of kids for the 2019-20 season have already committed. FWIW, 247 lists Yvan Ouedraogo as a 4-star recruit. They also rank Curtis as the 5th best player from the state of Ohio (again, that's a solid basketball state). Also FWIW, Roby was a 3-star recruit.

Personally, I cannot imagine any coach in this situation at Nebraska doing better than what Hoiberg is doing right now. He's finding pieces that he believes will fit his system in short order. I recall reading an article where Hoiberg stated that he relied on transfers heavily early at ISU -- in order to establish a system and show some success on the playing floor -- and then that opened up doors for higher-ranked high school recruits. I'm really not counting on Nebraska competing for an NCAA Tournament berth in the upcoming season. I'm just looking for Hoiberg to get a system in place that shows promise for the future. Not much more can be asked from a total overhaul.

I think the assumption was he wanted to stay in state, and even if the Buckeyes weren’t interested, UC and Xav are pretty attractive programs. He may not be anything amazing, but if you haven’t read much, this is a nice article on the kid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...rticleid=2c9f4a36-6042-45ec-b160-7227cf04c24e

I was browsing a couple of articles, and one said he was a 4* on 247. Was he downgraded, or was this just erroneous reporting?

I thought he was a 4 star on ESPN and a 3 star on 247. I dunno. All I know if the kid put up over 34 points a game last year and hung 40+ 9 times. Like you said, really good for any level.

What’s crazy is the only recruit we picked up this year that needs a lot of refinement is the French kid. Not to say that others don’t need to work on their games, but I watch their videos and they all no-doubt belong at a fairly high level. Even the French kid has measurables and a motor that are well worth a flyer, decent ceiling.

I was browsing a couple of articles, and one said he was a 4* on 247. Was he downgraded, or was this just erroneous reporting?

At least currently, 247 has him with three stars. But I tend to think if you're ranked #5 in the state of Ohio, you're no less than a high 3-star/borderline 4-star. His numbers are pretty amazing. And being named Mr. Ohio Basketball is no small feat.

I thought he was a 4 star on ESPN and a 3 star on 247. I dunno. All I know if the kid put up over 34 points a game last year and hung 40+ 9 times. Like you said, really good for any level.

What’s crazy is the only recruit we picked up this year that needs a lot of refinement is the French kid. Not to say that others don’t need to work on their games, but I watch their videos and they all no-doubt belong at a fairly high level. Even the French kid has measurables and a motor that are well worth a flyer, decent ceiling.

And as I mentioned above, 247 has the French teen as a 4-star recruit. I've even seen him listed on NBA draft sites. He's young and a bit raw -- though he won't be too raw after playing in the FIBL tournament -- and obviously, his ceiling is quite high.

To your point, this closeout over the last week has given us some interesting possibilities, and at worst, creates some better practice opportunities. Just my 2 cents:

-The kid from Arkansas needs to fire the outlet and quit thinking he’s supposed to lead the break, but other than that, his inside game isn’t bad. He needs to get quicker and continue to improve S&C.

-The Tennessee transfer probably got a wake up call and knows he’s not good enough to cruise, but if he hasn’t, he won’t be around long. Having a couple of freshman coming at him daily, and trying to make him look bad could help light that fire.

-Yvan just needs a coach to teach him how to use that body. That, and practicing against people he can’t just push around will give him a shot to be a future contributor.

-Curtis needs to improve his 3 pt shooting. That might be a strength issue, which he’ll get plenty of help with. But having the ability to average 23.4, 29.8 and 34.4 over a HS career means you can put the biscuit in the basket.

It’s going to be a fun time until November.

We seem to pick up a new recruit just about every day! At this pace we will have 100 players on the roster by the time the season starts in the fall!! :Corn2:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back