• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sam (Hoiberg)

Here's hoping Sam becomes that annoying too-small guard that hits every big shot, takes every charge, plays amazing defense and that opponents can't believe is still playing 3 years later!

Last edited:

....a chance to coach one of his sons.
It’s a unique thing. There are only 22 father-son combos in college basketball this season, with Juwan and Jett Howard at Michigan and Fran and Connor and Patrick McCaffery at Iowa as the two other Big Ten basketball families.
Fred doesn’t linger on it in-game. He’s so caught up in the action. But when he watches film? That’s when it hits.
“That’s when it’s pretty cool, when it’s your kid out there helping do really good things when he’s still in the very early stages of his career,” Fred said.

Sam Seals the Deal (OT WIN) vs Maryland. He made other key plays in OT, like taking a charge for a turnover.

Jacob Padilla:
I went in-depth on this special stretch of play from Sam with some insight from his biggest supporter (i.e. his twin).

A good article including several video clips. :nod: (the vido clips are things of BEAUTY; watch full-screen. Northwestern game, 2nd chance Put-back off Briedenbach miss; Sam gets absolutely FLATTENED by NW #2 driving to basket (I thought they were in a wrestling match; #2 pinned Sam to the floor) Sam passes to Derrick, immediately cuts to basket, for a pass back from Derrick = Score! Maryland clips; Sam gets rebound from own missed lay-up; drives to basket & Scores. Several good plays in Maryland clips. Job guarding Jahmir Young, preventing game-winning basket; Positioning himself to take a charge in OT (turnover); Picking up the ball Griesel jarred loose from Maryland player driving to the rim; and Win Sealing steal & lay-up near the end of OT.)

https://hailvarsity.com/basketball/...sive spark in 21.6 minutes per game. [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Great Listen! (good on the eyes too!)

I thought it was interesting to hear Sam talk about trying to guard Tominaga... I think that's part of the reason that he flashes open for Walker to hit him on cuts. I'm hoping that Wilcher and the other guards will learn this as well. Need to get someone to trigger that offense for next year also.

Hoiberg is never going to be a huge scorer or anything, but he will do all the little things well and get 5-7 pts every night and 15 3-4x a year. Just a good solid gym rat basketball player. Sometimes I think Nebraska could use 2-3 more of them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back