• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Salsa recipe

NU_Alum

Husker Fan
5 Year Member
I have a few beefsteak tomatoes lying around and want to make some salsa.

I've made it in the past and it's always good, but thought I'd look here for some thoughts.

We like hot and somewhat traditional; ie onions, some type(s) of peppers salt, I use red wine vinegar, parsley, cilantro, etc...

Maters
onion
Jalapenos
Salt
Lime juice

Optional:
cucumber
tomatilos
pablano or chilis

Roast everything on the grill if possible.

Last edited:
Maters
onion
Jalapenos
Salt
Lime juice

Optional:
cucumber
tomatilos
pablano or chilis

Roast everything on the grill if possible.

Do you roast the tomatoes as well, skin on? Onions, jalapenos and chilis I can see but I'm not sure I want tomato skin in my salsa!

I make a green salsa with tomatillos, love those!

Do you roast the tomatoes as well, skin on? Onions, jalapenos and chilis I can see but I'm not sure I want tomato skin in my salsa!

I make a green salsa with tomatillos, love those!

I love salsa Verde and I make it every time I'm cooking Mexican/Southwest. I roast my tomatillos on the grill, first.

If it were me, I'd roast them with the skin on. Put them in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap for a few minutes, pull them and then peel them. Comes right off and the tomato retains its integrity versus becoming a hot mess.

I have a killer mango, grilled corn and black bean salsa recipe that I just won a contest with here at work but I don't think that will work in this application.

I've made it in the past and it's always good, but thought I'd look here for some thoughts.

We like hot and somewhat traditional; ie onions, some type(s) of peppers salt, I use red wine vinegar, parsley, cilantro, etc...

What did you end up going with, dude?

What did you end up going with, dude?

Pretty basic. I think I had 10 or so tomatoes that I peeled and chopped. Cut up a yellow and white onion. Handful of jalapenos (some seeds and membranes tossed in to add some heat). Parsley and cilantro. Salt and lime juice. It made 3 jars worth. It's a good decently hot basic salsa.

Next time I'm going to roast everything and add bell peppers and some other type of spicy peppers as well.

Pretty basic. I think I had 10 or so tomatoes that I peeled and chopped. Cut up a yellow and white onion. Handful of jalapenos (some seeds and membranes tossed in to add some heat). Parsley and cilantro. Salt and lime juice. It made 3 jars worth. It's a good decently hot basic salsa.

Next time I'm going to roast everything and add bell peppers and some other type of spicy peppers as well.

Gotcha. I love salsa and put it on just about everything (Sriracha is a close second). Do you can yours? I've been giving serious thought to taking that up as a hobby. Unfortunately, my HOA covenant prohibits gardens so I'm not sure I can justify the cost. They never said anything about elevated garden beds so I'm thinking about building a few next spring just for peppers and tomatoes.

Gotcha. I love salsa and put it on just about everything (Sriracha is a close second). Do you can yours? I've been giving serious thought to taking that up as a hobby. Unfortunately, my HOA covenant prohibits gardens so I'm not sure I can justify the cost. They never said anything about elevated garden beds so I'm thinking about building a few next spring just for peppers and tomatoes.

I have canned in the past (bigger garden). I love it. It's so easy!

I did an elevated garden this year. Two 4 by 4 boxes, I got so much this year. Next year I'm going with 5 or 6 boxes I think.

I have canned in the past (bigger garden). I love it. It's so easy!

I did an elevated garden this year. Two 4 by 4 boxes, I got so much this year. Next year I'm going with 5 or 6 boxes I think.

Do you have a lot of wildlife in your area? If I do the boxes, I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep the deer, rabbit, squirrel and other animals out while retaining easy accessibility.

Do you have a lot of wildlife in your area? If I do the boxes, I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep the deer, rabbit, squirrel and other animals out while retaining easy accessibility.

You can buy that wolf urine stuff to scare them away...or you can start peeing outside yourself and see if that works...

I don't really have a recipe per se, I just eyeball it. But I've made several times in the past what I think is a pretty decent black bean salsa.

Tomatoes
White Onions
Cilantro
Lime Juice
Salt
Canned black beans
Chiles of your choice

I usually make a lot of this at one time, so 1-2 large onions, 7 or 8 medium-sized tomatoes, plenty of lime juice and salt, and 3-4 cans of black beans. Like I said though, I just eyeball it until it looks "right". Fresh cilantro, and for the chiles I usually go for jalapenos and serranos, and toss in a habanero or two just for a little extra kick.

For the non-chile vegetables, I toss 'em in raw. For the chiles, I roast in the oven until the skin is blackened and peel off the skin. I leave the seed pods intact. Everything is a rough chop (though I try to get the onions in smaller pieces). Mix it all up, taste for any added salt or seasonings (more lime juice, etc). Then I cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight or (preferably) 24 hours so everything can get mingled and the acid from the lime juice and tomato can go to work on the onion a little bit.

Used to make it and bring it in to work, people seemed to like it.

Rabbits mostly. We didn't have many problems but we have two dogs as well so I think the scent helped keeping them away.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back