• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Saban: Our QB is approaching 7-figures in NIL money...

That is a really nice team you have their Saban. It would be a shame if something happened to it.
Something will. He will retire someday, sooner than later. They will fall back. Saban has it all figured out. Like Tom did. Nebraska keeps on rolling if Osborne stayed, say until 2010 or so. He had another 10-12 years in him. He had it all figured out. Probably minimum 5 more NC’s.

I read a comment saying that the kid could be only getting like $10k and Saban is just saying that for recruiting. Would be a pretty genius move, honestly.

Either way, perception if reality. If we can get kids thinking that a ticket to Lincoln means a ticket to stardom, so be it.
If I’m the IRS, I’m taking notes, and when he goes to file taxes for $10k, I audit the hell out of him and launch an investigation due to Oatmeal Pie man’s comments.

If I’m the IRS, I’m taking notes, and when he goes to file taxes for $10k, I audit the hell out of him and launch an investigation due to Oatmeal Pie man’s comments.
I’m sure these 16 year olds will be very smart with their new found wealth. We will see a lot of them switch their major to economics, they will invest wisely making the money work hard for them.

This kid has yet to play a down in college football and he's likely to become a millionaire.

Here's hoping Trev Alberts gets this figured out - FAST. If we don't have the clout of Alabama (we don't) maybe we can scrounge up enough boosters and companies who will support NU like we do have the clout of Alabama.

I keep saying it, but we gotta get ConAgra, Union Pacific, TD Ameritrade, etc., on board with this, or we find some hip, young companies who aren't afraid to make a splash in marketing. Something like paying Martinez $250k to shave his head on live TV or something stupid. Call it gimmicky (it is) but if it turns heads and makes 5* kids look at Lincoln as a destination, I'm all in at this point.

I kinda doubt Nebraska will ever compete with sec schools on nil money. I hope they do but I'm not confident they will.

I'm skeptical Con Agra and TD Ameritrade will be significant boosters. Con Agra left Omaha quite a while ago. They still have some operations in Omaha but it's a pretty small foot print. Similar thing with Ameritrade. Charles Schwab completed their acquisition last fall. They're still in the midst of integrating, but that company is now head quartered in Texas. The Ricketts family and Buffett could definitely pump some money into UNL. I'm not aware of them having a history of doing so though.

As always, it would really help if Nebraska had a good season. Winning always helps- whether it's recruiting or this new nil stuff.

Last edited:

I'm not a fan of NIL at all. So will recruits just follow the money now? I would like it that if a kid was on a scholarship, was getting paid and then transferred or left early they would be required to repay the school tuition for the time spent there.
I wonder if private companies will put this stipulation on endorsement deals. Let's just use Runza as an example. Could they give our QB a deal that has a penalty if they leave the state as it would be detrimental to the marketing?

Finally a top coach speaks out on NIL. At least Saban is honest when he says NIL might well cause team issues. Anyone that doesn't believe a QB making a million while an offensive lineman makes nothing isn't going to create team problems doesn't know much about young kids imo.

At SEC media days last week, Saban said he was unsure what the future held with players now able to profit off their name, image and likeness.

Saban hinted that someone like Young potentially earning so much more than his teammates could cause tensions in the locker room.

"It's not going to be equal, and everything that we've done in college athletics in the past has always been equal," he said. "Everybody's had equal scholarship, equal opportunity. Now, that's probably not going to be the case. Some positions, some players will have more opportunities than others. And how that's going to impact your team, our team, the players on the team, I really can't answer because we don't have any precedent for it."

I can't help but think this is going to cause a lot of fan bases to start demanding more of their team going forward. "Either that bum produces or bench him for the next guy, he's making serious coin, we need to see a return."
How will the fan base influence play? I dont think money changes that unless you are the one paying him.

Last edited:

It will probably all be legal now as they can write it off as a tax deduction
I don't know how you could screw up and do anything illegal now. You would have to be a real knucklehead to not be able to funnel money to a player legally.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back