• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

S&C ??? Supplements

Does anybody know what the supplement side of things is for the football team? I think training table is required now, but I was wondering if they use anything beyond that.

My son is wanting to buy pre-workout/post-workout powders and as someone who has just relied on “food” for my nutrition, the whole supplement world for exercise is sorta wild.
My degree is in Exercise Science & Nutrition. I had my own sport nutrition company for 15 years. I got out by selling it when I realized the truth that most sport nutrition supplements are over priced GARBAGE and not healthy. I used to take a product called “Xenadrine” it gave me adrenal failure and took many years to recover.

A carnivore based diet with lots of red meat, salmon, oysters and eggs is the best way to put on muscle. Research Dr Shawn Baker in YouTube.

Caffeine is a great pre workout. That’s it.

Also if you have access to a local farmer providing raw milk and raw cheese that would be amazing for a growing kid. Raw milk & cheese contain all the good probiotics/good bacteria, enzymes and colostrum that will be so beneficial for your kid.

Last edited:
My degree is in Exercise Science & Nutrition. I had my own sport nutrition company for 15 years. I got out by selling it when I realized the truth that most sport nutrition supplements are over priced GARBAGE and not healthy. I used to take a product called “Xenadrine” it gave me adrenal failure and took many years to recover.

A carnivore based diet with lots of red meat, salmon, oysters and eggs is the best way to put on muscle. Research Dr Shawn Baker in YouTube.

Caffeine is a great pre workout. That’s it.
Damnit I knew it but still bought the stuff anyways.

There's really three pillars to focus on.

1. Training Stimulus

2. Balanced quality nutrition

3. Adequate rest

The rest is largely minutia that distracts people from the basics.

Focus on consistent longterm hard work in the gym. For a young person I would stay away from fad diets like keto, carnivore, ect. You can find plenty of experts that support these on the web but the majority of doctors, nutritionists, and others dont advocate for these. Eat balanced quality nutrition and get plenty of protein. And it's easy to overlook adequate rest.

If you're not hitting on all three of these, you're going to be worrying about the wrong things.

I honestly think your best bet is good nutrition.

No "supplements" have any evidence whatsoever they work, other than anecdotal evidence.

Don't waste your money on them.

Spend your money on good quality food.

I honestly think your best bet is good nutrition.

No "supplements" have any evidence whatsoever they work, other than anecdotal evidence.

Don't waste your money on them.

Spend your money on good quality food.

OK, protein. Eat meat.

It's a fraction of what you'd pay trying to eat all the foods you just suggested. No one is saying supplements should replace food. They're called supplements for a reason, but you're speaking out of pure ignorance here and it shows.

When I was in it 100%, I could never eat enough real food, strictly from a time standpoint, to hit my protein requirements and not cause another problem. Whey and Casein protein powders were a part of my overall meal/supplementation plan. This was fifteen to twenty years ago, but the same would hold true for me now.

Steak, fish, chicken, eggs, milk, peanut butter, almonds.....and protein powders. $1 scoop would replace a meal. Made sense to me then and makes sense to me now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back