• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Running shoes

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member
Just curious, I need new running shoes, Any runners out there that have any recommendations? I tend to have Achilles tendonitis so I need to consider that. I saw an article on the Gravitydefyer shoes, anyone ever try those?

http://gravitydefyer.com/

I have had the best luck with New Balance. About the last 5 or 6 pairs of running shoes I've purchased have been NB and they have all been great shoes.

First, if you haven't done so, you should go to a running store and have them determine what type of shoe you should wear (i.e. cushion level, stability, motion). Once you know that, you can either buy from the store or go online. I wear neutral running shoes and have always had success finding good, reasonably priced shoes at runningwarehouse.com. You can even find some good deals on brand new shoes from ebay.

I have had the best luck with New Balance. About the last 5 or 6 pairs of running shoes I've purchased have been NB and they have all been great shoes.

First, if you haven't done so, you should go to a running store and have them determine what type of shoe you should wear (i.e. cushion level, stability, motion). Once you know that, you can either buy from the store or go online. I wear neutral running shoes and have always had success finding good, reasonably priced shoes at runningwarehouse.com. You can even find some good deals on brand new shoes from ebay.

My wife is a marathoner and agrees with getting advice from a running store. We are all different with different running styles. She's been wearing nothing but a certain model of Asics for many years. I went to the running shoe store years ago due to getting sore knees when running; they ended up recommending a Saucony shoe and I've had very few problems since.

I just started a running program two weeks ago.

My best advice is simply to go to a running store. Yes, the shoes will cost more. But it's the first pair. And you'll get a full consultation, assuming the store is worthy. And many running stores have an area set up where you can truly run in the shoes to try them out.

Every person's feet are different. And you really cannot give advice for the best shoe via forum chatter. You really just need to go try out several types of shoes for yourself.

Now, once you've figured out what your feet like most ... you can buy the second pair from a cheaper retailer. :)

FWIW ... I found Brooks to be the best for my feet.

Just curious, I need new running shoes, Any runners out there that have any recommendations? I tend to have Achilles tendonitis so I need to consider that. I saw an article on the Gravitydefyer shoes, anyone ever try those?

http://gravitydefyer.com/
I used to coach cross country and track & field, and I also managed a running specialty store like those that @Ellis Boyd Redding, @BGRed, and @HuskerWeatherman are talking about. Having someone watch how you run and talk to you about the different types of shoes is important.

I checked out the Gravitydefeyer on the website and don't know as much about that shoe. It's definitely a shoe for people who are heel strikers. Not exactly sure from just looking at a the picture on the internet, but it looks like the heel-to-toe drop is at least 8mm. Since you have Achilles challenges, my first question would be if you are a mid-foot striker, and then I would watch you run.

Where do you live? I might be able to find a store in your area that would work for you. If you want to, send me a PM.

Last edited:
I can't even imagine running in that gravitydefyer.

They look like I should be walking a 5K with the grandmas.

I just started a running program two weeks ago.

My best advice is simply to go to a running store. Yes, the shoes will cost more. But it's the first pair. And you'll get a full consultation, assuming the store is worthy. And many running stores have an area set up where you can truly run in the shoes to try them out.

Every person's feet are different. And you really cannot give advice for the best shoe via forum chatter. You really just need to go try out several types of shoes for yourself.

Now, once you've figured out what your feet like most ... you can buy the second pair from a cheaper retailer. :)

FWIW ... I found Brooks to be the best for my feet.

Thanks. I did that at a running store near North Carolina State University about 5 years ago. They shoes they fit me with were thin soled and caused the balls of my feet to ache after running 1 mile. I brought them back and bought Nike Airs and then Asics Quantum which were great until I developed Achilles tendinitis last year. Now looking for another shoe.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back