• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Running Backs

Mills had never run Zone scheme offensive plays until he came to Nebraska, and it showed at the start of the 2019 season as he kept hitting "the hole"* hard when he was supposed to be following a delayed path until a gap opened up. If you don't understand what I mean by a Zone scheme, let me know, and I'll link some videos. He figured things out as the season wore on, and he was a very good RB by the end of the year. He looked great against OSU in '19 in that series when we ran I-Formation, and he played FB. THAT was the running style that he'd run at GA Tech and everywhere else.

To my eyes, Rahmir and Thomkins both look like great fits for Zone scheme, but Rahmir needs more muscle, and Ronald needs to get healthy and stay healthy. I need to see more Scott, but he seems to have everything now, but he struggles with his keys to instantly know when and where to cut, similar to Mills at the start of 2019.

More than anything, we need better O-Line play. Every one of these RBs will look like studs if healthy and running behind a solid O-Line.

*There technically isn't "a hole" to hit in a Zone run scheme because the back is supposed to follow a run path while reading key defenders' shoulders to see where a running lane will open. If you commit too early, you'll likely run into the pile and gain nothing, which was what Mills kept doing in early 2019.
As all teachers like me think, patience, patience, patience. It worked great for Mills and I think will work great for the other backs and players you mentioned. They are still young and we don't have and won't get that room full of 5 starts like some schools. So we need them for 2-3 normal years to get them there. I can tell you from living in the south, the Neb. in the Cornfields perception is still there. Our H.S. school is a feeder to a nearby national powerhouse team and feeder to a nearby state power house team. Soph. year they are gone to better hopes of NFL stardom and our perennial JV record melts away as I see another big kid transfer from my sophomore classroom to those schools. While they celebrate signing day with schools like Michigan, Gators, (and more) our 2 (if lucky) signees are for the golf team going to a DIII school.
And of course completely changing gears. The rods and reels are working great but cooler temps have us changing bait colors. Now, recent trip tried trout fishing and returning this month for another week in the mountains. so different then bass fishing.

Last edited:

And of course completely changing gears. The rods and reels are working great but cooler temps have us changing bait colors. Now, recent trip tried trout fishing and returning this month for another week in the mountains. so different then bass fishing.
I'd love to hear more. Send me another PM if interested.

Running Warner on jet sweep motion isn't widening out any defence in the conference. And the lack of a downfield passing threat is allowing safeties to creep up on the line of scrimmage. Throw in the missed blocks from the OL and we are suffering a lot of negative yardage runs.
To me, this is by far the most disappointing thing about our offense right now. The WR position is a mess. I have no idea who is to blame for that, but something needs to completely change in that room.

Last edited:
Husker offense doesn’t resemble anything Nebraska fans have come to love. I believe it’s simply a lack of experienced talent. Frost recruited two excellent running backs ( both seemed to be head cases) and they ran well even with a less than stellar line left by Riley. Both would still be playing today if things had worked out.
Ozigbo ran extremely well as a senior but there was no depth after him. Right now Mills is hurt and the depth is a redshirt freshman and a true freshman. The running game leader is now a 165 pound sophomore who was recruited to play a different position in this offense.

Here’s a list of the yards at running back per game from true ( recruited for the position) running back.

Ohio State 47
Northwestern 62
Penn State 24
Illinois 36
Iowa 36

Scott and Johnson have the bulk of those carries because there’s no Junior or Senior back up to Mills. Obviously there’s talent but very little experience at that position. I worry that #1 is going to suffer a serious injury running between the tackles.
Nebraska really misses Mills.

I think this is a bigger problem than most realize. Without consistent RB play you have to fill those yards with others. When these guys we have step up, a lot opens.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back