• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Running Back Roulette

The fire starts on the sideline, someone needs to step up and take the position, who wants to be NU's IB?

Come on Ryan, get your room straight.

Last edited:
Morrison is the best of the bunch. Not sure he can stay healthy but he is clearly the cream of the crop…
He was healthy all if 2021 and came out of sprung and fall camp 4th string
Media hype doesn't determine how good you are
Try again

I would like to see Rahmir and one other player get the majority of the carries. Rahmir is our only possible home run hitter. Yant, Morrison or Stepp for the hard nose 3-5 yard runs if you want to try and wear a defense down. Not sure if our line can accomplish that. So, on the rare occasions where a hole is opened up, I would hope Rahmir might be able to bust a few long ones.
Too bad Gabe got hurt. I like his running style.

So did Brandon Jackson
Maybe Sevion will turn out great. All I know is from the limited runs we've seen from him and from this staffs evalutation of him right now being 4th string, if someone says he is "clearly our best running back" it based off the the fact that he had a great HS career. And that does NOT determine success, it determines hype. We all wanted the record setting back from the state of Oklahoma to be the great back. But we dont know yet. As iv'e said many times before, he got no offers from anyone in the state of OU or Texas accept Baylor. So far based off the staffs opinion on what i've seen with my eye, he looks good, but nothing tells me hes great. Unless of course, you want to believe hype which is fine........you do that.

I would like to see Rahmir and one other player get the majority of the carries. Rahmir is our only possible home run hitter. Yant, Morrison or Stepp for the hard nose 3-5 yard runs if you want to try and wear a defense down. Not sure if our line can accomplish that. So, on the rare occasions where a hole is opened up, I would hope Rahmir might be able to bust a few long ones.
Too bad Gabe got hurt. I like his running style.
agree

Maybe Sevion will turn out great. All I know is from the limited runs we've seen from him and from this staffs evalutation of him right now being 4th string, if someone says he is "clearly our best running back" it based off the the fact that he had a great HS career. And that does NOT determine success, it determines hype. We all wanted the record setting back from the state of Oklahoma to be the great back. But we dont know yet. As iv'e said many times before, he got no offers from anyone in the state of OU or Texas accept Baylor. So far based off the staffs opinion on what i've seen with my eye, he looks good, but nothing tells me hes great. Unless of course, you want to believe hype which is fine........you do that.
Fair points, but your off the mark on my account. I’m wrong plenty, like the rest of us, but recruit hype is not we’re I put down my stock… see my takes on tyreke (I’ve yet to set the world on fire) Johnson and Omar Manning. I’d just as much like to see a Spencer Long prosper as ty steinkuhler.
I simple see more explosion threw the hole with adequate size and vision. I have not taken up the same liking to any of the other backs on the roster. Stepp is slow and a terrible fit behind this oline. Johnson has shown me nothing, yant is a modern version of spring game phenom robin miller and Scott is MY second favorite. All this takes into account I’m not judging knowledge of the play book, pass pro, durability or receiving prowess and all those are high on the coaches list than mine…. I want to be able to run the ball. I’m a firm believer that at the college (and pro) level it is the best way to win. From my few chances of seeing Morrison run, he has looked the best to me..

Last edited:
Fair points, but your off the mark on my account. I’m wrong plenty, like the rest of us, but recruit hype is not we’re I put down my stock… see my takes on tyreke (I’ve yet to set the world on fire) Johnson and Omar Manning. I’d just as much like to see a Spencer Long prosper as ty steinkuhler.
I simple see more explosion threw the hole with adequate size and vision. I have not taken up the same liking to any of the other backs on the roster. Stepp is slow and a terrible fit behind this oline. Johnson has shown me nothing, yant is a modern version of spring game phenom robin miller and Scott is MY second favorite. All this takes into account I’m not judging knowledge of the play book, pass pro, durability or receiving prowess and all those are high on the coaches list than mine…. I want to be able to run the ball. I’m a firm believer that at the college (and pro) level it is the best way to win. From my few chances of seeing Morrison run, he has looked the best to me..
Fair enough

Brandon Jackson lived 20 miles from me
I met him about 10 years ago when he started for the packers. He said no matter how well he practiced he couldn’t beat out Callahans 5star Marlon Lucky
He knew he was better and proved it in the pros
He said that’s why he left a year early
it was blatantly obvious

Frankly I thought Rahmir played quite well... & if not for a non contact injury, GE looked to have plenty of daylight on the play he hurt his knee.

I get that we're all a little impatient, but there are a lot of bright signs IMO... sure looks like a deep / talented room to me.

it was blatantly obvious
A lot of folks forget about Marlon’s pretty damn good career. I believe it was his junior year he ran for over 1000 yards and set a school record for 75 receptions as well. Scott Frost would be slobbering over stats like that today. I don’t care if he was your neighbor and what they did in the pros, dude was a Baller.

To paraphrase a line often used about QBs: If you have 4 RBs, you don't have any.

What Held has done with the RB room the last four years is an absolute mystery. It seems like we have a bunch of guys who are only good enough to average 3 yards / carry. Other than half a season with Ozigbo in 2018, we have never had a legit lead or #1 RB.
Mystery is a great word for this position group. I guess the coaches think that Adrian should pass and rush the ball. He is the teams leading rusher. If you combine stepp and Irvin they still don’t have as many yards and Adrian. Held can’t take credit for Ozigbo because that’s not his recruit. So the mystery is why can’t we run the ball with our backs. Could it be recruiting misses, or lack of coaching, poor scheme, poor play calling, o line issues? my guess is coaching and development.

To paraphrase a line often used about QBs: If you have 4 RBs, you don't have any.

What Held has done with the RB room the last four years is an absolute mystery. It seems like we have a bunch of guys who are only good enough to average 3 yards / carry. Other than half a season with Ozigbo in 2018, we have never had a legit lead or #1 RB.
It's honestly a combination of vision and line play. The only reason Martinez averages almost 6 ypc is off of 70 yard scrambles. We've got to establish a new scheme for the line that better suits our abilities. We have too much size and too much power to not run a zone scheme

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back