• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RPI: Nebraska, Big Ten & Others

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Now that we are 3 weekends into the baseball season, the RPI's are starting to take hold and become meaningful, of note:

-Gonzaga is 10-0 and now #2 (how would a few victories of the Zags look?)

-Nebraska is #42, with an SOS of 51

-Purdue, at 8-1, is #15 with an SOS of 33

And, as if you needed an explanation as to why Big 10 coaches want their own pushed back summer schedule and end of year tourney, look no farther than the conference RPI:

-Big Ten #14, behind the major players Sun Belt, WAC, Atlantic Sun, Southern, Southland, et al

-The Big Ten teams are a combined 50-57, but its not the overall record of the conference that amazes, its who they are losing to and how they are losing. For instance, Iowa won 16-15 in extra innings yesterday over Youngstown State, 0-10 and #279 RPI. If you want to truly see how bad each team is, go to their websites and look at the schedules and see who they have lost to (yes, including Nebraska, the West Virginia loss to a pitcher who entered the game with a 6.71 era doesn't help)

- The Big Ten has 8 teams at 0.500 or below, 2 teams barely above 0.500, and one team that is playing good ball against decent competition (Purdue)

-Of note, the Missouri Valley, is #9 in RPI, fractions of points in back of the Big 12.

Anyway, if you have time, poke around this site, good info here. Also, take a look at Nolans "NPI", which is a better indictor of team and conference strength then the heavily flawed RPI (Big 10 #13, Missouri Valley #3)

Team RPI:

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2012/rpi

Conference RPI:

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2012/conferencerpi

Very intersting. Thanks for posting this. The Huskers are 6-1 since the Gonzaga series.

Not to be confrontational, but am I supposed to feel sorry for the other B1G teams when it comes to baseball? I don't see the Sun Belt, Atlantic Sun, Southland, etc, trying to reorganize due to their inability to compete at basketball. I think some egos in the B1G are getting bruised a little bit, as college baseball has started to become a national sport, as opposed to a regionalized sport. They don't like seeing schools like Gonzaga, College of Charleston, Cal Poly, Stetson, Rice, etc succeed, while they wallow in obscurity. Sucks to be a nobody in sport, but suck it up, and deal with it.

Actually, I would argue that RPIs are pretty much meaningless at this point. Purdue is a great example. I'm willing to bet they will be nowhere near those numbers by season's end. And again, just playing in the Big Ten will drag Purdue's RPI down.

RPIs now ... about the equivalent of the college football computer polls in the 3rd week of September.

Not to be confrontational, but am I supposed to feel sorry for the other B1G teams when it comes to baseball? I don't see the Sun Belt, Atlantic Sun, Southland, etc, trying to reorganize due to their inability to compete at basketball. I think some egos in the B1G are getting bruised a little bit, as college baseball has started to become a national sport, as opposed to a regionalized sport. They don't like seeing schools like Gonzaga, College of Charleston, Cal Poly, Stetson, Rice, etc succeed, while they wallow in obscurity. Sucks to be a nobody in sport, but suck it up, and deal with it.​

totally agree, but now you see where these teams are coming from: they suck, they know they suck, and they know they will always suck.

Actually, I would argue that RPIs are pretty much meaningless at this point. Purdue is a great example. I'm willing to bet they will be nowhere near those numbers by season's end. And again, just playing in the Big Ten will drag Purdue's RPI down.

RPIs now ... about the equivalent of the college football computer polls in the 3rd week of September.​

Again, totally agree, these numbers will only get worse. Although I wouldn't dismiss the RPI as "totally meaningless" at this point, as we are over 1/6th into the season.

Once conference play starts, the SOS numbers for each team will plummet, including Nebraska's, and, when these teams play, and lose, to each other the RPI's will plummet, too (including Nebraska's).

Now you see how vitally important it is for Nebraska to schedule AND WIN tough out of conference opponents, AND, for the Big Ten to completely over haul its philosophy toward baseball.

For NU, the game tomorrow against Kansas State is nearly a "must win", and then you hope for KSU to turn around and get some wins in the Big 12.

Last edited:
totally agree, but now you see where these teams are coming from: they suck, they know they suck, and they know they will always suck.

Again, totally agree, these numbers will only get worse. Although I wouldn't dismiss the RPI as "totally meaningless" at this point, as we are over 1/6th into the season.

Once conference play starts, the SOS numbers for each team will plummet, including Nebraska's, and, when these teams play, and lose, to each other the RPI's will plummet, too (including Nebraska's).

Now you see how vitally important it is for Nebraska to schedule AND WIN tough out of conference opponents, AND, for the Big Ten to completely over haul its philosophy toward baseball.

For NU, the game tomorrow against Kansas State is nearly a "must win", and then you hope for KSU to turn around and get some wins in the Big 12.

but again, 1/6 of the season is two games in college football ... or maybe 5 games in college hoops. fun to look at... maybe not "totally meaningless," but... :Biggrin:

definitely agree with your other points.

Not directed at you FC, but the bolded part is what makes me :banghead:

NU had that same mindset for 20 years. Then magically, they brought in a coach that believed he could make NU a winner, and viola, NU became the #1 team in the country at one point. Crazy. I'm not saying that Purdue can have late 90's early 2000's NU success, but there's no reason, with a little investment by the schools, why B1G couldn't have significant success.

Again, I think it's pathetic that the big ol' B1G would rather tuck their tails and hide, instead of actually working to make things better. It's so hypocritical to how they react to smaller conferences in football and basketball.

Not directed at you FC, but the bolded part is what makes me :banghead:

NU had that same mindset for 20 years. Then magically, they brought in a coach that believed he could make NU a winner, and viola, NU became the #1 team in the country at one point. Crazy. I'm not saying that Purdue can have late 90's early 2000's NU success, but there's no reason, with a little investment by the schools, why B1G couldn't have significant success.

Again, I think it's pathetic that the big ol' B1G would rather tuck their tails and hide, instead of actually working to make things better. It's so hypocritical to how they react to smaller conferences in football and basketball.

Again, totally agree. I would love nothing more than to see the B1G as perennial players in Omaha each June.

But I don't think the schools want to pony up the $$$ knowing full well that there will probably not be a financial return on that investment.

It may be up to Nebraska to "lead the way" on this, but the irony of it all is: The tougher Nebraska schedules these "must win" games, the father the RPI and SOS plummets when they head into conference play.

btw, Penn State lost to Samford last night, 7-3 (that would be Samford and not Stanford)

Eh, it's just frustrating to see the big, bad, B1G act like a spoiled child that wants to take their ball and go home. I've said before, I get that a coach or two might feel this way, but if the league office feels like there's no reason to even try, that is completely idiotic. The B1G acts like they are the biggest and best athletics conference in the land, yet when it comes to baseball they act worse than the lowest of the low majors in college basketball.

Eh, it's just frustrating to see the big, bad, B1G act like a spoiled child that wants to take their ball and go home. I've said before, I get that a coach or two might feel this way, but if the league office feels like there's no reason to even try, that is completely idiotic. The B1G acts like they are the biggest and best athletics conference in the land, yet when it comes to baseball they act worse than the lowest of the low majors in college basketball.​

this is why I hope Nebraska not only wins the B1G, but pounds these teams silly, Nebraska vs Chicago State style circa 2000 (that is 50-3)

after a few of these shellackings, maybe the teams will get sick of being embarrassed...

Purdue 9
MSU 39
NU 52 (Down 22 spots from last weekend, getting no help from Gonzaga and Cal)
OSU 66
Ill 70

THese teams are all sub .500 records

Minn 139
MIch 195
Ind 213
PSU 216
Iowa 218
NW 268

Purdues RPI and SOS will take a dump once conference play starts.

Unless Nebraska runs the table in and out of conference, I'm fairly certain this once again is a one bid league.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back