• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Royals 2014 World Series

Really a hero or goat scenario

I don't think it would have been a goat scenario. Simply because when you have a guy like that on the mound -- in a game 7 of a World Series ... opportunities so rare against Bumgarner.... in that situation ... you have to roll the dice. No one would have blamed the 3rd base coach or Alex Gordon -- out or not.

Last edited:

I don't think it would have been a goat scenario. Simply because when you have a guy like that on the mound -- in a game 7 of a World Series ... in that situation ... you have to roll the dice. No one would have blamed the 3rd base coach or Alex Gordon -- out or not.

I am sure Salvador Perez was yelling to send him.;)

I don't think it would have been a goat scenario. Simply because when you have a guy like that on the mound -- in a game 7 of a World Series ... in that situation ... you have to roll the dice. No one would have blamed the 3rd base coach or Alex Gordon -- out or not.

Oh....some people would. That's human nature.

I suppose you look like an idiot making the 3rd out at home, but with that beast on the mound I might take my chances.

Really a hero or goat scenario

Yep. You could second guess either scenario. Stay and give Perez a bat or send Alex and lay it all on the line. I honestly don't think Alex would have had a chance at home but we'll never know.

Oh....some people would. That's human nature.

The majority would not. Perez at the plate with 2 outs ... bottom of the 9th ... maybe the best post-season pitcher we've ever seen in one World Series ... I'm pretty certain I know what the better odds were. Absolutely a huge gamble. But darn, those opportunities to even have a gamble against Bumgarner ... ugh.

Last edited:
Either way is what-if...that's the nature of these heartbreaking losses. What if Alex had been safe at home? What if Salvy hit a bomb with a bad leg?

Still an amazing, amazing year. This was dreamland stuff before this month. Let's make October baseball a habit from now on. I'm not sure I've ever been prouder to be a Royals fan!

The majority would not. Perez at the plate with 2 outs ... bottom of the 9th ... maybe the best post-season pitcher we've ever seen in one World Series ... I'm pretty certain I know what the better odds were. Absolutely a huge gamble. But darn, those opportunities to even have a gamble against Bumgarner ... ugh.

And we have hindsight working for us now too. :)

Yep. You could second guess either scenario. Stay and give Perez a bat or send Alex and lay it all on the line. I honestly don't think Alex would have had a chance at home but we'll never know.
Honestly, he's probably toast. However, Salvy looked pretty bad after he got dinged up. Who knows? Who cares? Great series and the Giants deserved it. They had dudes step up in big spots. Game 4 should be the one that haunts the Royals.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back