• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roundtable With Coach Osborne, AD Alberts & Coach Ruhle

In retrospect, Frost was in way over his head. He couldn't or wouldn't fix any of the many problems. He got no help from his coaching staff, which was not up to B1G standards. Very few, if any, of that staff has landed a Power Five position. When he claimed that the B1G would have to adapt to his offense, I thought that was a strange thing to say. Turns out, it was a naive claim.
And on top of that, he mailed it in.

Texas him.

As usual, we are winning the off-season, and the Kool-Aid continues to flow. Everything Rhule is doing and saying sounds great, but then again everyone thought that Frost would be the second coming as well. As I recall, Coach Osborne was pretty high on him too.

We won't know a damn thing until fall comes and we see how the team performs on the field.

Last edited:
Maybe you're right. We'll see. In my opinion, that's a short-sighted take. People change. He'll emerge somewhere, someone will write the comeback story about him and who knows? Maybe he turns into a hot name again.
If so, he’d better start to hurry up, because he is nearing 50. How long do you want to do this? Might take 3-5 years to clean up his image and prove himself again before he gets a shot somewhere. Not getting any younger for sure.

As usual, we are winning the off-season, and the Kool-Aid continues to flow. Everything Rhule is doing and saying sounds great, but then again everyone thought that Frost would be the second coming as well. As I recall, Coach Osborne was pretty high on him too.

We won't know a damn thing until fall comes and we see how the team performs on the field.
Except track record, experience, coaching tree, you're right

Except track record, experience, coaching tree, you're right
Frost had an impressive coaching tree as well (playing under Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne and Bill Parcells, and coaching under Chip Kelly). He had success as an assistant at Oregon, and he had just completed an unbelievable two-year stretch at UCF where the team went from 0-12 before he became coach to 13-0 following a win over 7th ranked Auburn in the Peach Bowl. He was AP College Football Coach of the Year. That's the highest acclaim a college football coach can get.

You know what that tells me? Prior performance is no guarantee of future results.

Rhule had success turning awful Temple and Baylor teams into competitive teams, but he generally lost against the best teams, and he failed in the NFL. I understand that the NFL is different, but it's not like he has an unblemished record of success.

I like Rhule personally, and like most people I have been impressed by what he has done so far. I'm tired of having my fall Saturdays ruined by crappy Nebraska football and want him to succeed as much as anyone does. But it's WAY too early to conclude that a return to the promised land is just around the corner.

Last edited:
Frost had an impressive coaching tree as well (playing under Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne and Bill Parcells, and coaching under Chip Kelly). He had success as an assistant at Oregon, and he had just completed an unbelievable two-year stretch at UCF where the team went from 0-12 before he became coach to 13-0 following a win over 7th ranked Auburn in the Peach Bowl. He was AP College Football Coach of the Year. That's the highest acclaim a college football coach can get.

You know what that tells me? Prior performance is no guarantee of future results.

Rhule had success turning awful Temple and Baylor teams into competitive teams, but he generally lost against the best teams, and he failed in the NFL. I understand that the NFL is different, but it's not like he has an unblemished record of success.

I like Rhule personally, and like most people I have been impressed by what he has done so far. I'm tired of having my fall Saturdays ruined by crappy Nebraska football and want him to succeed as much as anyone does. But it's WAY too early to conclude that a return to the promised land is just around the corner.
I meant UNDER him,not over him. AKA successful results.
Others have pointed out,SFs staff that was here isnt tearing it up.

In this case, MR is the mentor

A potential MR mentor

That article is from 2020, when Carolina fans were as optimistic about Rhule as Nebraska fans are now. As we know, things didn't turn out like Panther fans had hoped or like Reid had anticipated. If anything, that proves my point. Untethered optimism in advance of on-field results often leads to disappointment.

Yes, Rhule has had some former players and assistant coaches that have had moderate coaching success (some of whom have rejoined him as part of his current staff), but none of them have been competing for championships.

To be clear, I want Rhule to succeed as much as you do. I'm just tired of seeing spring optimism turn to fall disappointment every year for the last 20 years. I've been Charlie Brown for the last twenty years thinking that this time will finally be the time when Lucy doesn't take the ball away before I kick. I'm not doing that anymore.

We'll know a lot more after we see the ability and character of the team in the fall.

That article is from 2020, when Carolina fans were as optimistic about Rhule as Nebraska fans are now. As we know, things didn't turn out like Panther fans had hoped or like Reid had anticipated. If anything, that proves my point. Untethered optimism in advance of on-field results often leads to disappointment.

Yes, Rhule has had some former players and assistant coaches that have had moderate coaching success (some of whom have rejoined him as part of his current staff), but none of them have been competing for championships.

To be clear, I want Rhule to succeed as much as you do. I'm just tired of seeing spring optimism turn to fall disappointment every year for the last 20 years. I've been Charlie Brown for the last twenty years thinking that this time will finally be the time when Lucy doesn't take the ball away before I kick. I'm not doing that anymore.

We'll know a lot more after we see the ability and character of the team in the fall.
Yea,Reid was way off

Not beating ourselves would be a great step in the right direction.

That was an interesting conversation. It's still hard to believe he was putting in the work. The bigger takeaway for me was Mitch Sherman saying that they tried to write the definitive post-mortem on Scott Frost's reasons for failure and couldn't get anyone to go on record.
The lack of accountability from the media, former players, and our fan base helped prolong and extend Frost’s tenure of despair here. Just so thankful we are in a better place now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back