• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roster Talent

OK, McQuitty is a great case study. Big bodied WR which the offense needs desperately. He can't see the field and you say he is leaving......why? Had 2 years under this staff....is his position coach stretched too thin by being OC? (not like he is calling plays) Is he not working hard enough? Will he not block? What keeps a 4* that on the surface is exactly what the team needs from answering the bell?

Question of the season imo.

No... just Nebraska and everyone else had a 100% hit rate. Thoughts on that?
You mean they took out transfers and included only the ones that didnt transfer to compare to all other schools but didnt take off transfers that other schools had to compare? All schools have transfers this would be a highly inaccurate and unfair way to companre IMO. And if im understanding that correctly

Last edited:
Not sure if we're allowed to talk about articles from other websites but Rivals posted something today that I found very interesting.

Of the past 4 recruiting classes (not counting the current true freshman class), Rivals re-ranked where Nebraska's classes would have been if you removed the recruits that transferred out or never made it to campus. Our average recruiting re-ranking of those four classes would be 13th in the Big Ten and about 80th overall in the country.

I know everyone wants to point to execution and coaching and all that, but these numbers are hard to ignore.
again, if they didnt take out the other schools transfers and for that matter injuries, how is that a fair comparison. They would have to take out all of each schools transfers, otherwise this is so skewed its ridiculous. i dont disagree to an extent that the transfer problem is part of the issue, but to claim we are 13th by that method would be hightly inaccurate and skewed

Last edited:
OK, McQuitty is a great case study. Big bodied WR which the offense needs desperately. He can't see the field and you say he is leaving......why? Had 2 years under this staff....is his position coach stretched too thin by being OC? (not like he is calling plays) Is he not working hard enough? Will he not block? What keeps a 4* that on the surface is exactly what the team needs from answering the bell?
Is he one of the no "buy in" guys we are hearing about? At this point there is no body of work that shows whether the kid is a player or not. That is troubling.

I guess that's my point. I tell people Pelini inherited a worse situation than Frost and still was able to win 9 games his first two seasons, and they immediately say "well Pelini inherited better talent than Frost.." I agree there, but why could Pelini keep the good talent he had? There was an article written about how Pelini basically had zero attrition back in the day. Frost has lost four stars Guy Thomas, Tristan Gebbia, Tyjon Lindsey, Avery Roberts, Breon Dixon, Greg Bell, Miles Jones, Mo Washington, Cam Jones, CJ Smith, and he's gonna lose McQuitty after this season. Some of those guys were recruited by a different staff and Pelini hung onto them and created buy-in. Some of those guys were offensive guys, just like Pelini was able to keep defensive guys. And those are only the four stars i'm quoting as leaving.

We then sit here and say "well he needs his guys." Why? Pelini didn't need his guys, he grabbed dudes from offense, he took guys that were recruited for Cosgrove's 4-3 and made it work for his defense. He converted guys like Cody Glenn to linebacker from runningback. He created a brand new spot for Eric Hagg to man the PESO. Lance Thorell moved from WR to Safety. Why do we act like we wouldn't have recruited 4 star Farniok from South Dakota and he's not who we need? Why do we act like Brendan Jaimes who ran the exact same offense at Lake Travis is a guy that needs to fit our system? Football coaches make football players better.

Pelini's first recruiting class he had 25% of his guys leave the program. Frost already has close to 50% gone from his first class and we are only 18 months removed. Is that a Riley culture issue?

I'm just getting really sick of the excuses. At this point we are 21 games in. Let's roll. Let's quit with the made up excuses, because a lot of this has manifested itself from what's here now.
Bingo
And on top of that hes lost just as many of his own recruits at this point, maybe more, than hes lost of Rileys.
So how is that explained?

Bingo
And on top of that hes lost just as many of his own recruits at this point, maybe more, than hes lost of Rileys.
So how is that explained?

A lot of it depends on who you have left. I'd take any team that has Suh leftover and work to fill in the blanks on defense. Callahan left holes, but he also left some top tier NFL talent.

Our NFL talent that was left tended to be fringe/practice squad types

I've been looking through YouTube to see stuff for the argument Jurgens should have stayed at tight end. When I was looking at preseason footage it is really a far cry from what I expecting. Has to be some of the worst station work I've ever seen at any level. Pointless drill made up the bulk of the video out there. Guys literally doing the exact shadow work that is reminiscent of how the team plays today. Take a peek at what is posted by HuskersOnline Video. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPkiqdgZgS2PQE-pEZiFGwAb)

Last edited:
I think they are letting talent leave that they could have tried to help stay like Tyjon Lindsey, Avery Roberts and people like that. They also brought in talent that is leaving so it's not on the previous staff but this current one like Greg Bell, Mo Washington, CJ Smith, Cam Jones, Miles Jones, and others. So I think there was talent on the roster when they got here, and some of it left. I get that from a new staff, build your culture. But don't sit here and blame it on needing your guys or culture when 11 of the 25 guys you brought in from your first class that the previous AD and coach had nothing to do with have already left. I think with the talent they had sitting here we could have won 6, 7, or 8 games last year. Certainly year 2 and 2019 we should have been on pace to win 7 or 8 with our trajectory and culture established from the end of 2018. I think now we've ran so many guys off (including ones we brought in) that we are really really young and lack depth causing what we are seeing now. I don't mind our staff doing that, but again let's try to look in the mirror a bit. We've made some missteps other coaches haven't.

You can look at my first paragraph and I would say our talent level is nowhere near where it needs to be. But we still have more talent than Purdue, Indiana, and Colorado. Anyone that says otherwise is trying to make excuses. We had a double digit lead on Colorado who just fired their head coach the year prior and ended up losing. Elevation was the cause. We had a double digit lead on Indiana at home and ended up losing. Starting QB was injured. We had a double digit lead on Purdue who was without their best playmaker and was down to their 3rd string walk-on QB. *insert whatever excuse*. Why can we get out to double digit leads with the talent we have, but start folding later in the game? I'll leave that open ended.

We have deficiencies everywhere, and year 2 where we are 21 games in I would say 80% of those are things that are due to who is here right now. Let's get better.

So doesn't the fact that the staff had about 3 months to put together its first class have something to do with a high "miss" rate in that group? And wouldn't a team that isn't real deep and might get worn down logically be able to play better early in games (get a 10 point lead?) and then possibly not be able to hold it? A defense that stops Purdue for 4-5 drives in each half before giving up yards easily could be another symptom of lack of depth.

I fully agree that some of the players that left could be helping right now. I think SF wanted to get close to a complete re-start on culture and probably misunderstood how so many players leaving might create results like these. Maybe if they weren't preserving redshirts, burning 20 or so would get NU to 6 wins....but at the cost of losing a more valuable year for those players down the line. I understand the need for bowl practices, but from a record standpoint, winning 6 or winning 4-5 is pretty much the same.

So are people trying to suggest Frost would rather go through the motions with young players and build for a future team? Only he brought in JUCO players and leans on some not so young guys. And by not developing depth he's setting up to flush all this development down the drain in two years.

So are people trying to suggest Frost would rather go through the motions with young players and build for a future team? Only he brought in JUCO players and leans on some not so young guys. And by not developing depth he's setting up to flush all this development down the drain in two years.

That sounds terrifying. Thank you for pointing out our demise.

How is he not developing depth? You're making a lot of assumptions. Playing some older players and trying to bring in JUCO's doesn't mean that they aren't developing depth on the roster. I wrote about the OL and DL a while ago and it's clear they are doing everything they can to build those positions for the future. It's also clear they have depth at the QB position for the future as well - even if Martinez continues playing at this level, we have options.

Our major problem this year are the holes in 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes.

We have seniors, very few Juniors/So, and freshmen.

our inconsistent OL play is also huge.

no depth at LB on defense is forcing us to play starters who consistently are inconsistent in their play/reads.

This all could be placed on the coaches, as I’m not sure we are seeing any development of talent on hand.

How is he not developing depth? You're making a lot of assumptions. Playing some older players and trying to bring in JUCO's doesn't mean that they aren't developing depth on the roster. I wrote about the OL and DL a while ago and it's clear they are doing everything they can to build those positions for the future. It's also clear they have depth at the QB position for the future as well - even if Martinez continues playing at this level, we have options.
That's all it is and in most cases, wildly incorrect assumptions played off as fact.

Some if not many of today's athletes want to play immediately and leave if they perceive they will not get enough reps. The transfer portal if full of them. Noted today the Ohio State game the announce talked to NFL scouts and they advise that all of the OSU defense will be drafted. We have some recruiting to do in order to compete.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back