• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ron Brown Moves To Senior Offensive Analyst Role

Apparently, this board and the administration just want to sweep this under the rug.

"He said homosexuality was a choice and a sin. He compared council members who dared vote for this amendment to Pontius Pilate. That’s the dude commonly blamed for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

When asked why protecting LGBT Omahans from workplace discrimination was any different from long-installed protections based on gender, religion — including Christianity — race, age and ethnicity, this is how Brown responded:
“The Scriptures teach that blacks were created by God, that women were created by God, but that homosexuals ... that is not what God had in mind at all.”
So, yeah, the Huskers rehiring the guy who believes that God sees homosexuals as some sort of inferior mistake — it stung."

Article

I just think that keeping him around (or rehiring for that matter) sends the wrong message. This is 2020 not 1950.

I know he's a revered figure in Nebraska but a public person who espouses these views should not be working for the state's biggest public university.

I think a lot of people on here appreciate what Ron Brown has done for us in the past. He hasn't coached since the 2017 season and never an offense similar to what SF is running. I'm not as confident as many on here that he is the answer. I suspect fans are grasping at any reason to think our offense can be fixed with an analyst hiring. All I can say is if a former player development guy can come in and have a large impact on a broken offense we need to really question the full time offensive coordinator and head coach.
FWIW, Brown was the RB coach for Beck's offense, which is fairly similar to what we're trying to do now.

Apparently, this board and the administration just want to sweep this under the rug.

"He said homosexuality was a choice and a sin. He compared council members who dared vote for this amendment to Pontius Pilate. That’s the dude commonly blamed for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

When asked why protecting LGBT Omahans from workplace discrimination was any different from long-installed protections based on gender, religion — including Christianity — race, age and ethnicity, this is how Brown responded:
“The Scriptures teach that blacks were created by God, that women were created by God, but that homosexuals ... that is not what God had in mind at all.”
So, yeah, the Huskers rehiring the guy who believes that God sees homosexuals as some sort of inferior mistake — it stung."

Article

I just think that keeping him around (or rehiring for that matter) sends the wrong message. This is 2020 not 1950.

I know he's a revered figure in Nebraska but a public person who espouses these views should not be working for the state's biggest public university.
To my knowledge, there have been no players that have expressed a concern with Brown's treatment of them. It seems as though he has successfully managed to keep his personal and political positions from impacting what happens with the football program.

And it's not 2020... it's 2021. ;)

To my knowledge, there have been no players that have expressed a concern with Brown's treatment of them. It seems as though he has successfully managed to keep his personal and political positions from impacting what happens with the football program.

And it's not 2020... it's 2021. ;)
It just feels like 2020 is never going to end.

Article

So you think we should discriminate against him for his religious views?

Ron Brown is one of those guys who's done a bit of everything and done it pretty well. He was originally a defensive guy (played DB at Brown University) but has coached every offensive skill position except QB (as far as I know). Plus, I believe he's the only guy to have worked under Osborne, Solich, Pelini and Frost. Aside from maybe Turner Gill, I can't think of another guy who's basically seen it all as a member of Big Red's coaching crew.
Brown was a creative coach that was able to inspire excellence in whatever position he was coaching. His personal views are his own, and I guess I don't have a problem with him voicing them in public as long as he is not representing anyone but himself. Ameer Abdullah is a Muslim, and they had a great relationship.

I remember Brown painting tennis balls green and shooting them at the receivers and off walls while they were on the turf to get them used to catching things they couldn't see that well. I'm sure he didn't invent that technique, but he used it to his advantage. I guess if nothing else, he's been there.

I don't see a down side here, but I could totally spin it as a desperation move. Just like Saban hiring fired NFL coaches because Saban isn't smart enough to do it all on his own. <-- Sarcasm

Lets not forget that Coach Browns last pupil at Nebraska was Ameer Abdullah a young Mulism player who thought quite highly of Coach Brown and from articles still keeps in contact today. So maybe Coach can relate to young men of all colors and faiths

Last edited:

I find it kind of puzzling that a proven position coach (who has demonstrated his ability by his players’ results on the field) is in an analyst role while we keep underwhelming position coaches (based on their players’ lack of results/improvement) in actual coaching positions.

But I’m just a fan with no formal expertise in running a football program.
Rereading this thread. I wanted to "like" this post so bad until I realized I already had so.... I'll give a posted double like

I wonder if this is an opportunity for Brown to coach the coaches a little bit. He can probably quickly recognize things like a player not giving effort at times, how to get receivers to consistently block downfield, etc. Little things can turn moderate gains into big gains on offense.
If we have coaches who can't recognize the things you mention here then we have bigger problems than what role we can find for Ron Brown.

I'm not really well versed in what Ron Brown brings to the table. I always felt his humanity and ability to relate were his strengths. Hands on and personal.
If his ability to analyze and scheme are strong, good deal.
He brings fire and brimstone. That’s why they got him out of that role.

I think a lot of people on here appreciate what Ron Brown has done for us in the past. He hasn't coached since the 2017 season and never an offense similar to what SF is running. I'm not as confident as many on here that he is the answer. I suspect fans are grasping at any reason to think our offense can be fixed with an analyst hiring. All I can say is if a former player development guy can come in and have a large impact on a broken offense we need to really question the full time offensive coordinator and head coach.

RB has has spent a couple years studying and refining the finer points of the lateral passing game...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back