• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roman Pork Puller

BasilLongfellow

Starter
10 Year Member
A while back, someone started a thread about this beauty"

http://www.porkpuller.com/

I bought one. I used it for the first time and it was a total disaster. Pork on the ceiling. It didn't pull the entire butt. Was certain I had wasted $70.00.

As I thought about it for nearly two years after the first catastrophe, it occurred to me that I simply had not cooked my pork butt long enough.

Today I smoked two 3 pound pork butts for 7 hours at 250. First 6 hours inside foil. I marinated them for 36 hours in dijon mustard and generic pork rub.

I pulled the butts straight off of the smoker and into my pot. Fired up the Roman Pork Puller and BAM. I had pulled approximately 5 1/2 pounds of pork in under 10 seconds. It was incredible. If you do pulled pork, this baby, now that I figured out my mistake, is a no-brainer.

First photo is immediately after I used the Roman Pork Puller, literally 30 seconds after the meat came off the smoker. The second photo is after I mixed it with a sauce.

IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2447.JPG

Last edited:

That's impressive. I didn't know the Romans had drills though. ;)

I use bear claws and they work pretty fast.
HTB1qxy4IVXXXXXgapXXq6xXFXXXL.jpg

I bought one. I used it for the first time and it was a total disaster. Pork on the ceiling. It didn't pull the entire butt. Was certain I had wasted $70.00.

As I thought about it for nearly two years after the first catastrophe, it occurred to me that I simply had not cooked my pork butt long enough.

Today I smoked two 3 pound pork butts for 7 hours at 250. First 6 hours inside foil. I marinated them for 36 hours in dijon mustard and generic pork rub.

I pulled the butts straight off of the smoker and into my pot. Fired up the Roman Pork Puller and BAM. I had pulled approximately 5 1/2 pounds of pork in under 10 seconds. It was incredible. If you do pulled pork, this baby, now that I figured out my mistake, is a no-brainer.

First photo is immediately after I used the Roman Pork Puller, literally 30 seconds after the meat came off the smoker. The second photo is after I mixed it with a sauce.

View attachment 9737 View attachment 9738

Looks Greek to me...

You should smoke them for an hour or two and then wrap them in foil. you'll get better smoke flavor that way.

I've done it that way before, but this time I did not because i wanted to make sure that the connective tissue would cook down.

My go to is about 5 hours on the smoke until they reach 150 internal. I then wrap them and toss them into a 400 degree oven until they reach 200 - 205. I pull them from the oven, let them sit for about an hour and then pull them. The juices you retain this way add a ton of flavor, IMO.

It looks like the video links in the old thread no longer work

Here is the one from post 8 in the other thread

Last edited:

View attachment 9737 View attachment 9738

I've had one of these things for several years. Not cooking long enough does cause issues. I also use a pot. Bear claws are not even close.

The best thing about it is you can always pull just before serving or at a large function, pull as needed. I finish the smoke early, throw the entire butts in a cooler. And then Take them out and pull them about a minute before serving.

My go to is about 5 hours on the smoke until they reach 150 internal. I then wrap them and toss them into a 400 degree oven until they reach 200 - 205. I pull them from the oven, let them sit for about an hour and then pull them. The juices you retain this way add a ton of flavor, IMO.

I do the standard: Smoke em until they stall and then wrap until 200-205F. Let rest for an hour if possible before pulling.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back