• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"Rocketman" Elton John Bio-Pic is an Outstanding Movie

KleinTxHusker

All Big 10
15 Year Member
The wife and I just got back from "Rocketman" - We thought it an outstanding and honest movie (hence the R rating).

I think it is one of the very best bio-pics I have seen. I would put it up with "Ring of Fire" (Cash) and "Ray" (Charles).

The story is all told through flashbacks. John's music is used throughout to illustrate his feelings at various stages in his life. The chronology is a little odd, but you don't want to think that aspect too much. The music worked. I had to laugh, because some of the events occurred many years after the music, or many years before in other scenes. What it does indicate is much of his best work was done before he turned 25 (he is now 72) but hey, the Beatles broke up before any of them turned 30... So doing your best work in your youngest years is more probable in music.

I wouldn't tarry to see this movie, it wasn't the most heavily attended one. While I wouldn't expect it to get pulled quickly, I was surprised at the low pre-sale (we bought tickets on line less than an hour before start and there were only a few tickets sold). Turnout was better, so the walk up must have been decent. But it was in one of the largest theaters in the complex.

My wife and i saw it yesterday and I agree that it was well done. Wonderfully tragic as it chronicles his inability to receive his father's love and affection and a mother that was a critical bitch. The costumes were incredibly outlandish.

I wont go to the theater to see this movie, but I will catch it when it's released to vid or streaming. I went to an Elton John show at an outdoor venue a few years back, and man, he and his band just kicked ass. The show was way better than I thought it was going to be. It will be interesting to watch the movie.

What it does indicate is much of his best work was done before he turned 25 (he is now 72) but hey, the Beatles broke up before any of them turned 30... So doing your best work in your youngest years is more probable in music.

I think this is true with many very highly creative people be it music, painting, mathematics, writing. Their early periods are much more creative.

I remember watching a 60 Minutes interview with Bob Dylan a few years back. Bob Simon, I believe, asked him if it was true that he wrote "Blowin in the Wind" in 10 minutes. He said "yeah, something like that, but I can't write like that anymore" Billy Joel on Serius radio said he doesn't write songs anymore. He said he is not inspired to do it anymore. He said he writes music, instrumental stuff all the time, but nothing with words.

Then you have guys like Picasso, Michelangelo, JS Bach, and Haydn that were really productive their whole life.

Elton John and Taupin produced a ton of great music over about a 5 year period from 1970-75.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back