• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Road losses. What gives?

pitch

Scout Team
20 Year Member
First of all, congrats NU hoops on the W last night. I missed the game but saw the highlights. Amazing!

We have 6 losses for the season. 5 of them are on the road in Big 10 games. The Creighton loss, we were never in the game. Most of the games we lost in the Big 10 were winnable but we didn't finish.

Do we just assume that Coach Fred can't get his team ready to play away from home? Is it Diet? Time Zone? Travel? Sleep? Psychological?

I believe we will be playing in March Madness and I still stand by my Sweet 16 finish, BUT it made me think......these will all be road games.

How do you get this team ready to play on the road?

Last edited:

This year in college basketball it's pretty hard to win on the road.

Through Thursday's games, AP Top 25 teams were 67-64 against unranked road opponents, the lowest winning percentage (.554) since at least the 2009-10 season. The previous low was .567 last season, according to Sportradar

I just grabbed this from a Google search, assuming it is correct because it gybes with what I have heard before. So the best teams in the nation are winning on the road about half the time. If Nebraska could have won at MN or Rutgers, they might be in that Top 25 now. Teams have gotten older with the transfer portal and I think that's contributed a lot to home wins.

Our road woes are way overstated. We have 1 onr win.

Wisconson has 3
NW 2
Mich st 1
Indiana 1
Ill 3
nebr 1
Iowa 2
Osu 0

If you look above, we need to do better but you also can see we arent as horrible as it seems
Lots of non bb fans just dont realize it
Kansas St was our only road win. That was a good one.

We are 0-5 in the Big 10. We left some W’s on the table. We could have 18/19 wins IMO.

Do we just assume that Coach Fred can't get his team ready to play away from home? Is it Diet? Time Zone? Travel? Sleep? Psychological?
It could be the crowd. PBA is always rocking and its relatively night-and-day going on the road. Also learning to win on the road is an experiential thing.

Also the NCAA tournaments are all neutral site games - so NU (who travels well) should have good representation at whatever site they end up at!

I don't know how much to place on officiating.

There seems to be little risk in turning up defensive intensity by getting calls from having your hands on the defender or making excessive contact. And then throw in cold shooting.

Refs seem to get caught up in the crowd as much or if not more than the players.

It is hard to win away games in the Big 10. But this team has grown enough to get beyond that, yet they don't. I have been on teams where the players get complacent and confident somebody else on the team will rise up and win the game. You can't have that. Every player should be the one who wants to be the hero but for some reason that isn't happening.

Teams have figured out Tominaka. Plus he has regressed to either being a hot shooter or one who is cold as ice. We can't rely on him to carry the team. Sam Hoiberg brings a boatload of energy which raises every husker on the floor to a higher level. Perhaps he should start. CJ is on a pretty good streak right now but I'm not sure that will last.

I guess it gets down to chemistry. And the necessary combination of players to win on the road is different than at home. I'm sure Fred has given this more thought than most of us but he must get the players to be the solution.

Just a few random thoughts.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back