• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rivals drops Aaron Green in its rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recruiting is fun to follow because it offers the promise of "what if" and "what could be." But as was stated above, it's SO subjective on these sites. I also agree that they cater to the larger schools in huge population areas. Green is dropped 40 spots....why? Why not 50, why not 32? He's having a much better SR season than JR season...did his leg just fall off?

I trust our coaches with who we offer and accept...and I dream of "what could be" when watching their highlights. :)

What I dig the most about following recruiting is when Nebraska beats the "big boys" out for a recruit. I don't get to excited about the stars myself. The fact is everyone wanted Green and Moore. Successful recruiting to me is winning some battles with the other "big boys" (especially our rivals) for prize recruits, keeping our in-state prospects home, owning the surrounding states, and plucking a few studs from talent rich states like TX,CA, FL etc...... :)

I feel bad for Aaron, as he has to put some stock in these rankings... But beyond that? I'm not bothered by it much. We know they're biased--we didn't need this to happen to know it.

Maybe with the way Texas is playing this year, they should reconsider the rankings their last couple of recruiting classes had.

Not hard to figure out here. After Rivals worked so hard to sell the "Tunder and Lightning" idea on behalf of Mack Brown, Aaron Green must be punished! Tyler Moore was punished for spurning Florida, and now Aaron Green. Anybody that thinks that there is no bias obviously doesn't notice ESPN obsessing over Notre Dame every chance they get. These guys have biases and are sometimes vindictive when they don't get their way.

I am not a big "World against NU" guy. I see biases all the time. I think that NU gets the benefit of some biases. But our benefits are usually in the middle of the pack. Two star guys getting that third star or three star guys getting that fourth star. Honestly, I doubt any school can come close to our number of 4* guys who don't quite get into the top 250. We always have a few. Seriously, that isn't a large pool of players every year. Yet we always seem to corner that market. At the very top, these guys cater to the big markets. We've had five guys in recent memory who have been absolutely hosed by the member services.

1) Aaron Green - 40 spots? Thank you Rivals for making it blantantly obvious. Punish the kid. Punish the kid!
2) Tyler Moore - Absolutely ridiculous what Rivals has done to him after he turned down their precious precious precious precious precious precious precious precious Florida.
3) Andrew Rodriguez - Drops over 100 spots after participating in Army All Star Game OUT OF POSITION. Unprecidented before or after.
4) Niles Paul - He dropped about 50 spots after being a STAR PLAYER in the Army All Star game.
5) Some guy named Suh - I haven't forgetten his drop after picking us over the Pac 10. He turned out to be pretty good.

Big market fans want big stars. Big bucks to advertise all their 5* players. Texas is doing great with all of theirs this year. Miami's 7-6 loaded team and FSU's high powered 5* offenses are examples of obviously overrated talent to pacify the large markets. Meanwhile, NU has a reputation for getting more out of less and for being more of a team rather than a collection of individuals. This perception hurts us in the national ratings in terms of the top guys. But the five guys mentioned above were beyond ridiculous.

End of rant. Long live "Tunder and Lightning!"

Nice Post HIO. Amazing how flawed they can be.

I feel bad for Aaron, as he has to put some stock in these rankings... But beyond that? I'm not bothered by it much. We know they're biased--we didn't need this to happen to know it.

Why feel bad he will still get a full ride... plus it may give him a chip to carry around for a while to prove them wrong.

You have to love the politics at Rivals....;):eek::lol:....Aaron commits to Nebraska and he is dropped in the Rivals 100 from 28 to 58 and from a 6.0 to a 5.9....go figure and he'a having a monster season no less....guarantee you he would have moved up and received a 5-star rating had he committed to Texas....

These guys have no shame....

Oh but they did Tyler Moore up to 67 though....;):cool::Biggrin: On the other hand had he gone to Florida he would be a 5-star too....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2640

and that is why rankings are a fraud for the most part. It only matters what happens when they get on campus....no way in heck Rivals can rank over 300,000 or more HS players.

Not hard to figure out here. After Rivals worked so hard to sell the "Tunder and Lightning" idea on behalf of Mack Brown, Aaron Green must be punished! Tyler Moore was punished for spurning Florida, and now Aaron Green. Anybody that thinks that there is no bias obviously doesn't notice ESPN obsessing over Notre Dame every chance they get. These guys have biases and are sometimes vindictive when they don't get their way.

I am not a big "World against NU" guy. I see biases all the time. I think that NU gets the benefit of some biases. But our benefits are usually in the middle of the pack. Two star guys getting that third star or three star guys getting that fourth star. Honestly, I doubt any school can come close to our number of 4* guys who don't quite get into the top 250. We always have a few. Seriously, that isn't a large pool of players every year. Yet we always seem to corner that market. At the very top, these guys cater to the big markets. We've had five guys in recent memory who have been absolutely hosed by the member services.

1) Aaron Green - 40 spots? Thank you Rivals for making it blantantly obvious. Punish the kid. Punish the kid!
2) Tyler Moore - Absolutely ridiculous what Rivals has done to him after he turned down their precious precious precious precious precious precious precious precious Florida.
3) Andrew Rodriguez - Drops over 100 spots after participating in Army All Star Game OUT OF POSITION. Unprecidented before or after.
4) Niles Paul - He dropped about 50 spots after being a STAR PLAYER in the Army All Star game.
5) Some guy named Suh - I haven't forgetten his drop after picking us over the Pac 10. He turned out to be pretty good.

Big market fans want big stars. Big bucks to advertise all their 5* players. Texas is doing great with all of theirs this year. Miami's 7-6 loaded team and FSU's high powered 5* offenses are examples of obviously overrated talent to pacify the large markets. Meanwhile, NU has a reputation for getting more out of less and for being more of a team rather than a collection of individuals. This perception hurts us in the national ratings in terms of the top guys. But the five guys mentioned above were beyond ridiculous.

End of rant. Long live "Tunder and Lightning!"

Aaron dropped 30 spots not 40. Only thing Rivals got right is dropping Paul.

Fair enough....but the tend to be correct in most cases....sort of like the NFL rating players coming out of college too...right?

Actually, it's complety different. For one thing, the incentives are completely different because an NFL scouts/GM's job depends on getting it right. Rivals is entertainment and it really doesn't matter if they get things wrong because they generate hits and controversy just the same (maybe even more so).

For another thing, the NFL has things like the combine, which is uniform for all participants (not like the camps and Nike events for HSers). They also have a more limited pool of people to evaluate and much better quality film to analize.

THey aren't remotely the same.

Rivals has very few, if any, former coaches or people who were ever paid to evaluate talent. They generally go where the information is and follow the wagging tail of the dog (i.e. they love places like UT that slips them information... or bc when he used to have his private pressers with sean callahan; and the places where the team has been successful, so they must be good recruiters, too).

Actually, it's complety different. For one thing, the incentives are completely different because an NFL scouts/GM's job depends on getting it right. Rivals is entertainment and it really doesn't matter if they get things wrong because they generate hits and controversy just the same (maybe even more so).

For another thing, the NFL has things like the combine, which is uniform for all participants (not like the camps and Nike events for HSers). They also have a more limited pool of people to evaluate and much better quality film to analize.

THey aren't remotely the same.

Rivals has very few, if any, former coaches or people who were ever paid to evaluate talent. They generally go where the information is and follow the wagging tail of the dog (i.e. they love places like UT that slips them information... or bc when he used to have his private pressers with sean callahan; and the places where the team has been successful, so they must be good recruiters, too).

But neither does a real good job of pinning down the talent appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back