• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rivals analysis on the 3 transfers......

I imagine it frees them up but I just don’t know. Good question!

I think in Luke’s case it holds the Scholarship for one semester since he took the money and left. Kind of classless really...from a family that ABSOLUTELY can afford it.
It's been argued by some including @ShortSideOption I believe that casting that wide a net has led to disorganization and communication issues. Only our coaching staff is responsible for that many offers and it has nothing to do with the recruiting budget.

Nope, you’re right.... it’s no guarantee of success. However in this particular instance I think it’s a very good indicator.

For Nebraska to be spending half the money on recruiting that Alabama or Georgia does speaks volumes. At least to me.

and what is honestly shocking... it’s not that big of money. Literally 1.5 million put us on par with the big boys.

And this would allow a dramatic expansion in things like vetting and the ability to deal with the new reality in the transfer portal.

One of the other interesting things that the dwc13 pointed out was that Nebraska literally offers twice the amount of scholarship “offers” than virtually any other school. His question and presumption is how on earth does Nebraska have the money to properly “vet” all of these offers when we are spending literally half the amount??

Perhaps some of the retention problems stem from that little gem.....
I'll give you a bit of a Husker Nash real world example that I hope explains to you why casting a wide net is our staff's choice and maybe not the best approach to take. I'm a divorced guy in my 50's that isn't quite ready to give up on the fairer sex. In this digital age and due to my work schedule and still having a 9 year old at home most of the time with me, I've found internet dating is the easiest way to meet. I've seen both sexes on dating sites use a couple of different methods to reach an end result but have found most are all looking for those 5 star recruits. I stay away from them as I have found them to be high maintenance and more flash than substance. In the greater Nashville area there are plenty of them. Personally I have found the solid 3-4 star recruits are better conversationally and align more closely to what I'm looking for. You can go about this two ways and this is where my twisted analogy comes in. You can cast a wide net, carpet bomb (HAH), and give a like to every girl your have an interest in bedding or at least dating or you can be more selective and approach it as a more precision type air strike. I've been on both bombing runs. In the first example you may get lots of love at first but you start forgetting details (sometimes including names) and really can come off looking like a boob and in the process have some dates you would chose to forget as they were not properly vetted. I tend to have better dates, more fun, and have a much better chance of finding the next Mrs. HuskerNash or at least the Ms Right Now. At the end of they day I do not blame the dating service for the misses and excruciating dates I've had when I cast that wide net. I blame myself. I've also found that recruiting in the 15 mile radius is a much better route to take. The larger the recruiting circle the more obstacles we have to overcome. Moral of the story-better communication and organization is the key to success.

I'll give you a bit of a Husker Nash real world example that I hope explains to you why casting a wide net is our staff's choice and maybe not the best approach to take. I'm a divorced guy in my 50's that isn't quite ready to give up on the fairer sex. In this digital age and due to my work schedule and still having a 9 year old at home most of the time with me, I've found internet dating is the easiest way to meet. I've seen both sexes on dating sites use a couple of different methods to reach an end result but have found most are all looking for those 5 star recruits. I stay away from them as I have found them to be high maintenance and more flash than substance. In the greater Nashville area there are plenty of them. Personally I have found the solid 3-4 star recruits are better conversationally and align more closely to what I'm looking for. You can go about this two ways and this is where my twisted analogy comes in. You can cast a wide net, carpet bomb (HAH), and give a like to every girl your have an interest in bedding or at least dating or you can be more selective and approach it as a more precision type air strike. I've been on both bombing runs. In the first example you may get lots of love at first but you start forgetting details (sometimes including names) and really can come off looking like a boob and in the process have some dates you would chose to forget as they were not properly vetted. I tend to have better dates, more fun, and have a much better chance of finding the next Mrs. HuskerNash or at least the Ms Right Now. At the end of they day I do not blame the dating service for the misses and excruciating dates I've had when I cast that wide net. I blame myself. I've also found that recruiting in the 15 mile radius is a much better route to take. The larger the recruiting circle the more obstacles we have to overcome. Moral of the story-better communication and organization is the key to success.
Lol I cast a wide net and can’t remember last names anymore. This whole post made a lot of sense to me.

It's been argued by some including @ShortSideOption I believe that casting that wide a net has led to disorganization and communication issues. Only our coaching staff is responsible for that many offers and it has nothing to do with the recruiting budget.
Offers arent expensive. Vetting wrong can be, so too can early player evals. Theyre working on one end of it, but still need to improve.

I believe that casting that wide a net has led to disorganization and communication issues. Only our coaching staff is responsible for that many offers and it has nothing to do with the recruiting budget.

possibly...you could be right. I am not what you would call “Recruiting Budget Expert” by any means.

But it seems to me to be problematic when we all seem to agree that recruiting is so tremendously important to a program.

And we have now encountered some problems with retention and a totally new factor has entered the game which is basically “revolutionary”....the Transfer Portal...

and everyone says yep...need to deal with that new aspect...vet better, cut our number of offers, yada yada....

But then don’t offer up the additional resources to take on those changes. Not to mention that we have not been a truly successful program literally for the last 5 years and longer. Spending the current money. Or that many other more successful schools spend almost twice as much.

AND

The amount of money to cover these additional costs and changes and put us in the same league as the Big Boys in the SEC seems so very small compared to a $155 million “new facility”.

Does throwing more money at a problem solve it? Well, if spent properly on the areas that need fixing....YES!

Sure there is a risk that it doesn’t work but the idea that you can get more with the same or less almost always is delusional and leads to continued failure.

or...we could just fire Frost...pay off his contract and those of his staff and start over..to the tune of what? $15 mil or so?

and still have to deal with the same issues in the long run....

But I’m no genius...as my wife reminds me daily....so who can say for sure. I was just shocked by how little we spend in this area in comparison to so many successful schools who can easily recruit from their backyard while we must go national.

Lordy...I have been married to the same “southern Virginia belle” for almost 40 years.

Still gorgeous, fiery, and can be a total PITA :)

But she is MY PITA!

and what she sees in me I haven’t a clue....

I certainly don't know the answer for why the communication has been poor and the disorganization when you compare it to an Iowa, Iowa State, or Minnesota. That was one theory I threw out. I will say our past 3 months with Avante Dickerson make me think they are learning there and doing better. We will see if it helps for the 2022 class but they may be the class that truly needs to see some wins otherwise you're hopping on a train that may have a different conductor year 2 of being there.

I was actually looking at this the other day. Offers for 2022 class:

Nebraska - 305
Iowa State - 179
Minnesota - 128
Missouri - 124
Iowa - 61
Wisconsin - 53
Northwestern - 41

I have two sides to this. With social media, throwing out an offer is not difficult. Am I mad that we offered the #2 cornerback on Rivals and Wisconsin and Iowa didn't? I'm sure what happened is Fisher sent a DM over Twitter and said "you have an offer here and can play for me any time you want." While Iowa and Wisconsin didn't spend that 15 seconds. Where it gets fuzzy is if we are still spending time (resources) on him and if we don't have a chance. Because the flip side of the coin for me is Iowa State, Iowa, and Missouri identify way earlier than we do with kids and who they want. They start pursuing the guys in our state way earlier than we do. Can us looking at too many prospects cause that? Can us having to figure out how to talk to 305 guys instead of 61 like Iowa cause some disorganization? I think there probably is some correlation there but who knows.

Long story short we actually get good recruiting classes. The problem is when you re-rank the 2020 class we are actually already 7th in the B1G due to our attrition from it. So we aren't quite getting the "right guy". That could be a vetting issue.

And more resources to accomplish those tasks better...is all I am saying. :)

Great analogy...makes your point very clear!

I wish I could write that well.
I'm hopping in way late... but are you advocating for more personnel in the recruiting department to help with the organization, communication, etc.?

I certainly don't know the answer for why the communication has been poor and the disorganization when you compare it to an Iowa, Iowa State, or Minnesota. That was one theory I threw out. I will say our past 3 months with Avante Dickerson make me think they are learning there and doing better. We will see if it helps for the 2022 class but they may be the class that truly needs to see some wins otherwise you're hopping on a train that may have a different conductor year 2 of being there.

I was actually looking at this the other day. Offers for 2022 class:

Nebraska - 305
Iowa State - 179
Minnesota - 128
Missouri - 124
Iowa - 61
Wisconsin - 53
Northwestern - 41

I have two sides to this. With social media, throwing out an offer is not difficult. Am I mad that we offered the #2 cornerback on Rivals and Wisconsin and Iowa didn't? I'm sure what happened is Fisher sent a DM over Twitter and said "you have an offer here and can play for me any time you want." While Iowa and Wisconsin didn't spend that 15 seconds. Where it gets fuzzy is if we are still spending time (resources) on him and if we don't have a chance. Because the flip side of the coin for me is Iowa State, Iowa, and Missouri identify way earlier than we do with kids and who they want. They start pursuing the guys in our state way earlier than we do. Can us looking at too many prospects cause that? Can us having to figure out how to talk to 305 guys instead of 61 like Iowa cause some disorganization? I think there probably is some correlation there but who knows.

Long story short we actually get good recruiting classes. The problem is when you re-rank the 2020 class we are actually already 7th in the B1G due to our attrition from it. So we aren't quite getting the "right guy". That could be a vetting issue.

I think an issue with casting a wide net is you just don't have the time or resources to really understand the player you are looking at. Iowa, Wisconsin, and NW call really drill down into a recruits background, look at hours of game film and see how they'd fit and evaluate if you feel the guy is worth your time regardless of them being a 4 star etc etc. Those 3 programs as has been discussed multiple times in the past take lower rated recruits and don't worry about it cause they know they fit their systems and know they have a solid base to build that guy into a good if not great player in the next 3-5 yrs.

I think an issue with casting a wide net is you just don't have the time or resources to really understand the player you are looking at. Iowa, Wisconsin, and NW call really drill down into a recruits background, look at hours of game film and see how they'd fit and evaluate if you feel the guy is worth your time regardless of them being a 4 star etc etc. Those 3 programs as has been discussed multiple times in the past take lower rated recruits and don't worry about it cause they know they fit their systems and know they have a solid base to build that guy into a good if not great player in the next 3-5 yrs.
One of the things that pisses me off a bit about Iowa is what happened with a guy like Henry Lutovsky. I'm super high on that kid, and Iowa never offered him because he felt spurned by them so he was never going to go there. Well now they can tout "didn't want him anyway". Iowa is going to do what they do. But what worries me is if Wisconsin continues to out-recruit us because we only have one win against them in conference while we were taking them to the woodshed in recruiting. They had their highest class ever for 2021. Don't need them getting good players to develop.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back