• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rivals analysis on the 3 transfers......

I don't know where you get the idea that's Frost's philosophy, he seems to be almost making the mistake of trying to appease guys too much.

It's pretty much a direct quote from one of his pressers. Coach-speak, I guess.

I don’t think we underplay this issue...we are losing guys who can/could/would make a difference and forcing us to take a chance on someone else.

We just need to put it in perspective because the “new reality” is happening everywhere.

It’s how we ADAPT to this new reality that is most important.

@dwc13

dwc13 sent me some FASCINATING research he had done on recruiting budgets of Power 5 schools.

OK, so you would think Nebraska spends more because of traveling nationwide...and we do. More than Illinois...More than Northwestern...about the same as Minnesota suprisingly.

But we spend literally half of what the big boys spend like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State.etc.

Texas A&M recruits mainly from Texas yet their recruiting budget dwarfs Nebraska’s.

My point here is the old saying of “you get what you pay for” comes to mind. And with the ”new reality“ that is upon us, we not only need to take a look at upping that budget remarkably but also how we are spending the money because entire new departments will be needed just to monitor and mine the Transfer Portal.

And it’s not THAT much more money needed...maybe another $1.5 million to put us on par with schools like Alabama and Georgia.

And with a school as financially sound as ours...planning on building a $155 million facilities expansion.....that money seems very small.

When Saban was recruited to Alabama he brutally told them he would only come if they massively upped their budgets for the stadium, facilities, coaches and recruiting.

They did...

I am the first guy to say “don’t just throw money at it”....

But I honestly feel like if we want to PLAY like the big boys...we need to PAY like the big boys.

Isn't that what Moos said when he signed Frost? You have to pay the great coaches and Frost is a great coach. That hasn't worked out so far. I agree you have to spend money to make money, so to speak. But it's no guarantee of success either.

But it's no guarantee of success either.
Nope, you’re right.... it’s no guarantee of success. However in this particular instance I think it’s a very good indicator.

For Nebraska to be spending half the money on recruiting that Alabama or Georgia does speaks volumes. At least to me.

and what is honestly shocking... it’s not that big of money. Literally 1.5 million put us on par with the big boys.

And this would allow a dramatic expansion in things like vetting and the ability to deal with the new reality in the transfer portal.

One of the other interesting things that the dwc13 pointed out was that Nebraska literally offers twice the amount of scholarship “offers” than virtually any other school. His question and presumption is how on earth does Nebraska have the money to properly “vet” all of these offers when we are spending literally half the amount??

Perhaps some of the retention problems stem from that little gem.....

Last edited:

One of the other interesting things that the dwc13 pointed out was that Nebraska literally offers twice the amount of scholarship “offers” than virtually any other school. His question and presumption is how on earth does Nebraska have the money to properly “vet” all of these offers when we are spending literally half the amount??

Now that is interesting. I don't know the science of recruiting but that makes it sound like we're offering schollies to kids who aren't inclined to accept. Maybe it's a social media thing--kid tweets that's he proud to have been offered a scholarship from NU and it keeps our brand at the forefront.

I think the fact that losing our #2 QB "isn't a big deal because he isn't very good" is in itself a bigger deal.

So much this. Also that Scott really really wanted Luke to stay. Either Luke was going to be a great QB or something is very wrong in the player evaluation process. You can’t have it both ways.

I'd say that had a lot to do with it since he knew the staff was gonna go with Martinez. Don't really think he was worried about Smothers at all.

Well, if LM was not worried at all about Smothers, that should increase everyone's concerns about the QB position going into the 2021 season. That would suggest the room is, for all practical purposes, empty behind AM. With AM being injury prone and not exactly meeting the expectations that were created his freshman year, it would not seem likely that we will see a great increase in offensive production this season. (Absent Frost pulling some magic formula out of his hat that works with the unproven talent we have.)

Last edited:
Ya i'm not really sure what his thought process is. All I know is he was recruited knowing he was going to get his shot once Martinez was done. He got his shot and it didn't work out. Now all of a sudden that's not soon enough.

I'm sure there's more at play than just what I see on the surface. I've had about zero info on this LM thing the whole time.

Me too. Seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction on that offense right now.

I think that's where the issue is. I know for fact Luke came in under the impression he was behind Martinez and it would take an awful lot to beat him out. I also know for fact that our staff wishes they could rewind and not give into outside pressure of starting him. So when you take into account we played him quicker than he was expecting. And then you take into account the Wan'Dale thing where he was frustrated with "how" he was being used and in some cases that meant him and his support staff were mad that he was given the ball as a RB down at the goalline to get a touchdown.... there's just more going on. And I have no idea what it is.

Chin is keeping this all together quite honestly. Think if we lost our best RB and all we have are freshmen returning, lost our best WR and freshmen Betts is leading returner, lost our leading TE, lost our two most seasoned linemen, and have no backup with any snaps at QB. What if Chin wasn't able to bring back Domann, Dismuke, WIlliams, Honas, and CTB? We would be dead in the water.

Well, I hope Chin has something up his sleeve for 2021 because the defense may have to play defense and score for the offense as well. The defense was able to eek out 3 wins for us in 2020. Maybe they can do the same in 2021?

How does this impact Schollies?

Only give out 25 per year with 85 max?

That is where I can see kids transferring really hurting a program.

If this opens 3 schollies, then roll on along. If not, that is like a double punch as you exit thru the back door!

How does this impact Schollies?
I imagine it frees them up but I just don’t know. Good question!

I think in Luke’s case it holds the Scholarship for one semester since he took the money and left. Kind of classless really...from a family that ABSOLUTELY can afford it.

Last edited:
Nope, you’re right.... it’s no guarantee of success. However in this particular instance I think it’s a very good indicator.

For Nebraska to be spending half the money on recruiting that Alabama or Georgia does speaks volumes. At least to me.

and what is honestly shocking... it’s not that big of money. Literally 1.5 million put us on par with the big boys.

And this would allow a dramatic expansion in things like vetting and the ability to deal with the new reality in the transfer portal.

I notice we're spending almost the same as Oklahoma which is shocking considering the quality of players that OU has on tap every year.

I notice we're spending almost the same as Oklahoma which is shocking considering the quality of players that OU has on tap every year.
OK seems to offer waaay less. In fact, if you look at OSU and OK...even Okie State. They seem to strategize their offers far more than we do...far more focused. That may be because they are in better overall Recruiting regions but schools like Texas A&M spend a half $1 million more than us and yet literally recruit only from Texas so who knows.

My point is that maybe some of our problems in “vettingl and getting the “right kid” to Nebraska may be related to this. And while I totally agree the money is absolutely obscene I think we may have spend more to keep up with the Joneses.

I'm gone on travel for one day... & 3 backups leave (QB, C & WR)

:Hair Fire:

all kidding aside, I tend to think the answer is focusing more on players in our own backyard & getting back to our physical roots - perhaps that's just nostalgia + a lot of windshield time pondering while driving.

Last edited:

Some of our recruiting problem right there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back