• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rivalry Game???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlin' Husker

Recruit
5 Year Member
http://thegazette.com/2012/11/18/battle-for-12-lost-build-for-13-begins/

An Iowa player called this a "rivalry game." Am I the only Husker fan who finds this borderline offensive? I mean, at least Colorado had won a national title. I don't want to grant Iowa too much credit, but I desperately want us to keep beating them. In fact, I really hope that Nebraska doesn't drop a game to them until after they stop calling this a rivalry, so that the loss can be simply called a "fluke."

Last edited:

Penn State has more of a right to call themselves our rival than the Hawks in my mind.

I don't think we can call it a rivalry game, at least not yet, but I'm not offended by Iowegans calling it that.
For some reason, it doesn't seem as ridiculous as when Colorado tried to force it.

I don't think we can call it a rivalry game, at least not yet, but I'm not offended by Iowegans calling it that.
For some reason, it doesn't seem as ridiculous as when Colorado tried to force it.

But Colorado had some exciting games with us, I was there in 2008. I just feel like we should crush Iowa every year.

But Colorado had some exciting games with us, I was there in 2008. I just feel like we should crush Iowa every year.

This is their bowl game this year and they would love to wreck our season. It may not be a rivalry yet, but it will be a tough game this year. We can't afford to overlook anybody.

Last edited:
Umm... we play Iowa for a trophy. Snobby Husker fans need to get off their high horses about rivalries. We got spoiled with a very good rival in the Sooners, but most rivalries aren't that close after a century.

These are the people who brushed off Colorado, Missouri and Kansas State, saying they weren't up to snuff when compared to the Switzer Standard. Now, they double back and claim that Iowa, Michigan or Penn State can't hold a candle to the tough, bitter rival football that sprang from Boulder, Columbia and Manhattan.

Give me a break.

Many Nebraska fans act like Iowa needs to apply for Rivalry Membership and then submit a body of work for 100 years. Then we, in our Scarlet and Cream Tower, will confer upon them the rank of "rival."

Sheesh. Iowa is a rival and it's a great game. I don't care if we beat them 99 times out of 100. And actually, I'd enjoy the extra "W" in the win-loss column, to be honest. I miss the Sooners. I miss the Buffaloes. Heck, I even miss the Longhorns. We're acting like the heartbroken ex who measures every future girlfriend against their past. Time to move on, Cornhuskers, time to move on.

Just wait until Iowa spoils a perfect season. Or takes our place in the Big Ten Championship. There will be people calling for blood... from our, umm... rival?

Last edited:

Umm... we play Iowa for a trophy. Snobby Husker fans need to get off their high horses about rivalries. We got spoiled with a very good rival in the Sooners, but most rivalries aren't that close after a century.

These are the people who brushed off Colorado, Missouri and Kansas State, saying they weren't up to snuff when compared to the Switzer Standard. Now, they double back and claim that Iowa, Michigan or Penn State can't hold a candle to the tough, bitter rival football that sprang from Boulder, Columbia and Manhattan.

Give me a break.

Many Nebraska fans act like Iowa needs to apply for Rivalry Membership and then submit a body of work for 100 years. Then we, in our Scarlet and Cream Tower, will confer upon them the rank of "rival."

Sheesh. Iowa is a rival and it's a great game. I don't care if we beat them 99 times out of 100. And actually, I'd enjoy the extra "W" in the win-loss column, to be honest. I miss the Sooners. I miss the Buffaloes. Heck, I even miss the Longhorns. We're acting like the heartbroken ex who measures every future girlfriend against their past. Time to move on, Cornhuskers, time to move on.

Just wait until Iowa spoils a perfect season. Or takes our place in the Big Ten Championship. There will be people calling for blood... from our, umm... rival?
This is standard protocol, don't you know. ;)

Give me a break.

Got nothing to do with "snobby Husker fans." Rivalries are made not designated and if and when your bolded statement above happens, then we may be on our way to a true rivalry.

Give me a break.

I agree with most of this except the texas part.I think just where the borders are,and the fact that we are in the legends together will generate excitement.

We have only played them once as a conference foe. It could very well end up a rivalry and the fan bases have looked forward to matching up against each other over the years. Some of the player on both rosters played against or with each other in high school. No they don't have the history NU has, but I'm sure they will become the "Colorado" of our schedule where as beat NU will be more important than having a winning season.

It took Oklahoma 6 tries to beat NU for the first time to start the rivalry. Then after beating them in 1942, we didn't defeat the Sooners again for 17 years. Yet every loved that rivalry match up.

It's a new day. If Iowa wants a rivalry, let them go get it. That means they are going to have to make it a rivalry on the field. But it won't happen over night and no newspaper can just place the title there.

This is their bowl game this year and they would love to wreck our season. It may not be a rivalry yet, but it will be a tough game this year. We can't afford to overlook anybody.

This same crap was said about Minnesota. And if we had kept our 1 string in for the fourth qtr, we would have won that game 48-0. Iowa will be another game to fine tune our offense before we go whip on the badgers.

You got it. This game will tell us a few things about our team and whether their making progress with the consistency issues. They seem to realize they have to win out but we'll see on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back