• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's contract and Husker buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is his salary undermarket? What are they paying their other assistants?
Has to be more than 50k or they wouldn’t have any coaches. Good Lord, what a complete waste of money. How can a guy that bad get 170k per month? Damn, you just shake your damn head at that nonsense. WOW.

Funniest thing was watching him tell the media he was the one to right the ship after the Iowa drubbing. Just LOL. Unfreakingbelievable.

Last edited:
http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/12/oregon_state_football_coach_jo.html

Oregon State will also make $3.3 million in annual salary available for Smith to hire assistants, according to the memorandum. OSU coordinators and position coaches made approximately $2.59 million for the 2017 season, marking roughly a $710,000 increase in the available pool.

-----------------------------------------

Assuming they have 10 assistant coaches, that's $330k per coach. Granted the OC and DC usually make much more, but $50k seems terribly low.

More than likely, Riley let HC Smith use the money to "hire up" the best assistants needed and then took the $50k as a token salary. It basically means that Oregon State is getting an extra coach funded by Nebraska, which I'm not really too happy about.

Last edited:

I have no problem with them only paying Riley $50k. It's a smart business move on their part. Invest that saved money into the salary pool for the other coaches or make some improvements around the stadium. It's not Oregon State's fault that Nebraska continued to renew his contract. Oregon State owes Nebraska nothing. Nebraska did steal him away originally.

It’s a BS move. riley is already stealing money from NU, and this 50k salary is a joke. Of course, he is a terrible coach. Prolly not even worthy of being on anyone’s staff. He utterly brings nothing to the table. The NU brass sure was smart. Lol.

I have no problem with them only paying Riley $50k. It's a smart business move on their part. Invest that saved money into the salary pool for the other coaches or make some improvements around the stadium. It's not Oregon State's fault that Nebraska continued to renew his contract. Oregon State owes Nebraska nothing. Nebraska did steal him away originally.
If you can get away with it. Asst HC in the power 5 make well above that. Regardless, only 2 people in America wanted to hire him and sadly, they both worked, errrrrr, hung out at NU. Lol

Last edited:
If you can get away with it. Asst HC in the power 5 make well above that. Regardless, only 2 people in America wanted to hire him and sadly, they both worked, errrrrr, hung out at NU. Lol

What do you mean get away with it? Was there a stipulation in his buyout that said he had to make market wage or a certain minimum? If not, I'm not really sure Nebraska can or will try to do anything. Didn't Bo take a below market salary to coach at Youngstown State? Obviously this would be much more extreme.

Last edited:
The problem is that this type of move was accounted for in Riley's contract.

Riley’s contract states that “within a reasonably brief period following termination, Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.”

Since he is a very experienced coach and is the lowest paid assistant coach in the entire Power 5, he is pretty obviously in violation.

Now it probably just depends on whether NU wants to pursue the legal options.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/12/oregon_state_football_coach_jo.html

Oregon State will also make $3.3 million in annual salary available for Smith to hire assistants, according to the memorandum. OSU coordinators and position coaches made approximately $2.59 million for the 2017 season, marking roughly a $710,000 increase in the available pool.

-----------------------------------------

Assuming they have 10 assistant coaches, that's $330k per coach. Granted the OC and DC usually make much more, but $50k seems terribly low.

More than likely, Riley let HC Smith use the money to "hire up" the best assistants needed and then took the $50k as a token salary. It basically means that Oregon State is getting an extra coach funded by Nebraska, which I'm not really too happy about.

Is this illegal? I thought that Mark Richt should have done something like that with Miami and with a stipulation that he get a huge raise when the Georgia money ran out and a guaranteed hugundous buyout if let go.

Is this illegal? I thought that Mark Richt should have done something like that with Miami and with a stipulation that he get a huge raise when the Georgia money ran out and a guaranteed hugundous buyout if let go.

It would have been fine if the old contract didn't account for it.
Riley's contract did have a clause to prevent just this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back