• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's contract and Husker buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Riley was suppose to use his best efforts to obtain reasonable employment. I believe at the strictest definition that would be another head coaching job paying the same. Plan B, be paid the “goIng rate” for the job he could get hired for. So either Mike is not the nice guy that everyone says he is or we have found another job, (finding reasonable employment) that his best efforts don’t measure up.

Mike Riley was suppose to use his best efforts to obtain reasonable employment. I believe at the strictest definition that would be another head coaching job paying the same. Plan B, be paid the “goIng rate” for the job he could get hired for. So either Mike is not the nice guy that everyone says he is or we have found another job, (finding reasonable employment) that his best efforts don’t measure up.
Or maybe Mike is so nice he meant to be in violation of the contract and is now going to waive Nebraska’s payments.

I'm guessing that OSU messed up and didn't know about this clause in his contract.
It was a shrewd move it that clause wasn't in there.
It he had even taken a lower salary but one that was within the realm of other FBS assistant pay ranges, he still would have been fine.
But to go so much lower that any other assistant coach leaves them wide open for problems with this one.

I don't believe he had to find reasonable employment. He could have just retired.

Last edited:

It’s a BS move. riley is already stealing money from NU, and this 50k salary is a joke. Of course, he is a terrible coach. Prolly not even worthy of being on anyone’s staff. He utterly brings nothing to the table. The NU brass sure was smart. Lol.
Do you throw darts at his picture in your bedroom? Glad he is gone but my gosh.

It's not illegal, and OSU did nothing wrong. The contract was between Nebraska and Riley. OSU is using the extra money to pay its other assistant coaches. The only person potentially harmed is Riley. Although I don't believe it would be enough to void the contract and result in Nebraska not owing anything, Nebraska can definitely reduce the amount it pays him by a reasonable amount, Nebraska will not need to go to court regarding this. Instead, I believe Nebraska will just negotiate with Riley's attorney an acceptable amount. If they don't agree on an amount, Riley would need to sue Nebraska and then prove that his new level of compensation at OSU is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back