• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rigoni Doc Dissertation and S&C

NeroFakesThePitch

Scout Team
15 Year Member
Given the recent heavy criticism on this board about our current S&C, I thought it might be interesting to examine, especially in light of the recent article featuring Rogoni, his doctoral dissertation concerning S&C.

"
Switch to desktop view
Menu

• DC Network
Skip to main content
DigitalCommons@University of Nebraska - Lincoln

Home > DISSERTATIONS > AAI3558438
Off-campus UNL users: To download campus access dissertations, please use the following link to log into our proxy server with your NU ID and password. When you are done browsing please remember to return to this page and log out.
Non-UNL users: Please talk to your librarian about requesting this dissertation through interlibrary loan.

Toughness predicts performance in college football​

J. Brandon Rigoni, University of Nebraska - Lincoln

Abstract​

A premium college football player is estimated to generate over $1 million for his program, so optimal player assessment and selection are paramount. Lean body mass, back squat, and vertical jump have been the most predictive physical test scores, but such metrics typically account for less than 10% of variance in football performance. NFL scouts have tended to rely on vertical jump, 40-yard dash, and 20-yard shuttle scores, but interestingly, reliance on none of the physical tests conducted at the NFL Combine was predictive of team success; in fact, teams that relied on fewer total physical test scores tended to win more games. Dr. Tom Osborne suggested the Performance Index for interpreting physical performance metrics, but also insisted that psychological attributes such as toughness were equally important to his evaluation process since players deal with immense adversity during the course of a season. Toughness can be characterized as the ability to cope with stressors more effectively, and is measured in this study by examining cortisol reactivity. When physical test scores (i.e., lean body mass, hang clean, back squat, bench press, 10-yard dash, 20-yard shuttle, and vertical jump) were converted into Performance Index scores among 47 Division 1 freshman football players, players who contributed on the field differed from players who did not contribute only in vertical jump and 10-yard dash scores. "

Does Brandon's views and experiences with S&C align with how things are currently done? Just asking questions. And no... I'm not out of shape. LOL

Furthermore... if anyone can possibly grant me access to Dr. Tom's DD (which was wayyyy ahead if its time), that would be AWESOME and I would be forever grateful.

TO's Ph.D. dissertation......https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/dissertations/AAI6601028/
Hi thank you! I got that far, but I am no longer on the faculty or a student in the U of N system, therefore I cannot download his dissertation.

Hi thank you! I got that far, but I am no longer on the faculty or a student in the U of N system, therefore I cannot download his dissertation.
You should be able to. I hit the download button and it downloaded for me. I haven't had UNL credentials since 1986.

Given the recent heavy criticism on this board about our current S&C, I thought it might be interesting to examine, especially in light of the recent article featuring Rogoni, his doctoral dissertation concerning S&C.

"
Switch to desktop view
Menu

• DC Network
Skip to main content

Off-campus UNL users: To download campus access dissertations, please use the following link to log into our proxy server with your NU ID and password. When you are done browsing please remember to return to this page and log out.
Non-UNL users: Please talk to your librarian about requesting this dissertation through interlibrary loan.

Abstract​

A premium college football player is estimated to generate over $1 million for his program, so optimal player assessment and selection are paramount. Lean body mass, back squat, and vertical jump have been the most predictive physical test scores, but such metrics typically account for less than 10% of variance in football performance. NFL scouts have tended to rely on vertical jump, 40-yard dash, and 20-yard shuttle scores, but interestingly, reliance on none of the physical tests conducted at the NFL Combine was predictive of team success; in fact, teams that relied on fewer total physical test scores tended to win more games. Dr. Tom Osborne suggested the Performance Index for interpreting physical performance metrics, but also insisted that psychological attributes such as toughness were equally important to his evaluation process since players deal with immense adversity during the course of a season. Toughness can be characterized as the ability to cope with stressors more effectively, and is measured in this study by examining cortisol reactivity. When physical test scores (i.e., lean body mass, hang clean, back squat, bench press, 10-yard dash, 20-yard shuttle, and vertical jump) were converted into Performance Index scores among 47 Division 1 freshman football players, players who contributed on the field differed from players who did not contribute only in vertical jump and 10-yard dash scores. "

Does Brandon's views and experiences with S&C align with how things are currently done? Just asking questions. And no... I'm not out of shape. LOL

Furthermore... if anyone can possibly grant me access to Dr. Tom's DD (which was wayyyy ahead if its time), that would be AWESOME and I would be forever grateful.
Round is a shape.I too am in shape.Lol.

"
Switch to desktop view
Menu

• DC Network
Skip to main content

Abstract​

It makes sense.

You have to have some baseline speed, strength, and size.
And everyone does.

It is common sense to imagine two teams, one with a lot of really tough players and one with few tough players, competing and not being able to predict the outcome.

Just an opinion, but if I was targeting players, the 10 yard burst would be #1 and the shuttle drill #1A. The next filter would involve measurables. Then High School GPA. Out of that group I would ask about toughness, resilience, and hopefulness.

That should work!

It makes sense.

You have to have some baseline speed, strength, and size.
And everyone does.

It is common sense to imagine two teams, one with a lot of really tough players and one with few tough players, competing and not being able to predict the outcome.

Just an opinion, but if I was targeting players, the 10 yard burst would be #1 and the shuttle drill #1A. The next filter would involve measurables. Then High School GPA. Out of that group I would ask about toughness, resilience, and hopefulness.

That should work!
Pal Alabama recruits have similar numbers on these two about 1.4, so they think like you do.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back