• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Richie Incognito's long road from pariah to relevancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The article bothers me ... I think the article was titled to try and show a reformed/changed Incognito. The article conveniently ignores several other factors in my opinion.

It it goes without saying that RI learned something and emerged a more mature cautious individual. BUT ... IMO the article ignores context. Context in which the alleged slurs and taunts were used. An NFL locker room is totally different an a grade school classroom. The people most offended were the media and people unaffiliated with the situation.
I am not much of a fan of RI. I do think he got jobbed in this situation for much of the reasons you bring up. Still, the Dolphins situation was a microcosm of RI's life IMO. He always seemed to do everything in excess of the norms. If there was a line to narrowly walk but not cross, he would sure as heck always seemed to find a way to cross it and get caught.

I agree the NFL isn't your ordinary workplace and the Press blew this out of proportion. But I do think RI & the Dolphins overstepped even those norms. The thing that is being pushed against is the norms of "hazing" - which I would tend to define as a way of trying to enforce unwritten norms outside of the normal lines of authority in the organization. Sort of peer leadership. You tend to see some of these in areas where a lot of close work and living together over extended periods of time such as team sports, military units, offshore oil rigs, trading floors, etc. While it has its beneficial aspects, there can also a lot of flat out harassment based on everything from race to level of education (I remember one supervisor telling an engineer that the best he could hope for is that the guys on the rig wouldn't hold his college degree against him;)). And society is rightfully less tolerant of the latter discriminatory issues.

Last edited:
I am not much of a fan of RI. I do think he got jobbed in this situation for much of the reasons you bring up. Still, the Dolphins situation was a microcosm of RI's life IMO. He always seemed to do everything in excess of the norms. If there was a line to narrowly walk but not cross, he would sure as heck always seemed to find a way to cross it and get caught.

I agree the NFL isn't your ordinary workplace and the Press blew this out of proportion. But I do think RI & the Dolphins overstepped even those norms. The thing that is being pushed against is the norms of "hazing" - which I would tend to define as a way of trying to enforce unwritten norms outside of the normal lines of authority in the organization. Sort of peer leadership. You tend to see some of these in areas where a lot of close work and living together over extended periods of time such as team sports, military units, offshore oil rigs, trading floors, etc. While it has its beneficial aspects, there can also a lot of flat out harassment based on everything from race to level of education (I remember one supervisor telling an engineer that the best he could hope for is that the guys on the rig wouldn't hold his college degree against him;)). And society is rightfully less tolerant of the latter discriminatory issues.
Without question RI walked away from this a little smarter and a little more mature. He probably learned from this ... and that is good.

To me the most telling point out of all of this is that RI is still employed in the NFL and Jonathan Martin is not ... obviously their talent level and ability to contribute matter but RI is still playing in part because he fits within an NFL locker room.

Without question RI walked away from this a little smarter and a little more mature. He probably learned from this ... and that is good.

To me the most telling point out of all of this is that RI is still employed in the NFL and Jonathan Martin is not ... obviously their talent level and ability to contribute matter but RI is still playing in part because he fits within an NFL locker room.

I agree with that. I don't know anyone that condones this type of behavior but hopefully he has learned.

On/off topic for those in the Military. In our platoon in boot camp we had some fellers that decided one night to get a pillow case and some soap and go beat a guy for being slack and basically a putz. I slept through the incident but was questioned later about it (I was the platoon guide). The recruit that got beat eventually was dropped the ones that did the beating kept going. Not sure that could happen now in today's military.

Nebraska needs to keep its distance.
I understand where you are coming from. Yet, we are "stuck" with him in the sense that we often get mentioned in the "Bad Richie" articles so we might as well be happy when there are "Good Richie" stories.

Also, I don't think you (and most others) don't want to see him do poorly. Hey, I don't want him, Martin or anyone else do poorly either. So it is good to see RI finding a spot and perhaps, hopefully, actually learning something.

The second paragraph prompted me to follow up on Jonathan Martin.

Found these. I somewhat feel for Martin in the sense that these are evidence that he didn't really know who he was and that at the end of the day he really didn't want to play football all that badly. Not that there is anything wrong with that but it sheds light on Dolphins perhaps not really doing a good job either understanding who they were drafting or working with him once they had him. Having other players trying to "take him under their wings and toughen him up" in their perverse way was a bad move. And RI being that guy in his ham handed always over the wrong side of the line way.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015...-martin-facebook-post-nfl-retirement-dolphins
"You move to Los Angeles at 10 & attend JTD, then Harvard Westlake, both environments are completely new to you. You're one of just a handful of minorities in elite private schools. You learn to tone down your size & blackness by becoming shy, introverted, friendly, so you won't scare the little rich white kids or their patents. Neither black nor white people accept you because they don't undertand you. It takes away your self-confidence, your self-worth, your sanity.

You've been told you're not "black enough" your entire life. It nearly destroys you, many times, not fitting in. Your talent & accomplishments on the field never seem to be able to overcome the demons that you carry with you from your middle school and high school experiences. You're always inadequate, always the "pussy," the "weird kid who acts white."

You overcompensate, create a persona separate from who you really are, use it as motivation to gain respect from playing a game. Make a fool of yourself at times. Anything in the quest to one day to feel "cool." You see football as the only thing that you are good at, your only avenue to make the shy, depressed, weird kid from high school "cool." To the outside world many assume you to be somewhat egotistical, womanizing, over-the-top; a typical football player.

Years later, your time in the NFL is a wake up call. In all likelihood anyone else in your ********ty locker room situation probably wouldn't take everything so personally, would've been able to brush it off and say "******** it," you're making millions. You're starting as a rookie. You're living your dream." But you're different. Have always been different. Have always been more sensitive.

...nine more paragraphs follow...

Kind of a book end for the RI article:

A May 13, 2016 article

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/the-quiet-redemption-of-jonathan-martin

While Martin thinks about the past and how it could be different, he won’t reach back and mess with it. He said he hasn’t tried to speak to Richie Incognito, one of the former Dolphins who was a main culprit in the bullying scandal.

“That’s another thing that’s convoluted,” Martin said after a pause and a heavy sigh. “Like I said in the Wells report, and like I’ve said before, at a certain level we were friends. We hung out. That’s fact. He’s got his own issues like I had issues with depression related to dealing with all their BS, but I don’t even know if Richie wants to be a bad person. Part of me thinks he just is because he’s allowed to be in the realm he occupies. It’s weird because we still have mutual friends. I have no desire to ever see or talk to him. I’ll get nothing from it. That’s in the past. I don’t know what his thoughts are and I don’t really care, honestly.”

“From their (the Miami Dolphins players) perspective, they probably thought I was making everything up, which was fine, but not even giving me the benefit of the doubt made me lose respect for everyone in that building — everyone — so I mean, I’ve moved on,” Martin said. “I hope they’ve moved on.”

As for those “mutual friends,” none of them are former Dolphins teammates or have any relation to the explosive incident from three years ago.

In many senses Martin hadn't found himself. I can think of other NFL'ers who are bright, intelligent, sensitive (maybe) are great football players and have found ways to express themselves and maybe really not be of the NFL. Who knows, perhaps Martin may yet do so.

Last edited:
The second paragraph prompted me to follow up on Jonathan Martin.

Found these. I somewhat feel for Martin in the sense that these are evidence that he didn't really know who he was and that at the end of the day he really didn't want to play football all that badly. Not that there is anything wrong with that but it sheds light on Dolphins perhaps not really doing a good job either understanding who they were drafting or working with him once they had him. Having other players trying to "take him under their wings and toughen him up" in their perverse way was a bad move. And RI being that guy in his ham handed always over the wrong side of the line way.

Kind of a book end for the RI article:

In many senses Martin hadn't found himself. I can think of other NFL'ers who are bright, intelligent, sensitive (maybe) are great football players and have found ways to express themselves and maybe really not be of the NFL. Who knows, perhaps Martin may yet do so.

Talk about blaming the victim. The guy was called the N word multiple times. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT BEHAVIOR NONE. I spent a lot of years in the Marine Corps. You will not find a bigger petry dish of macismo in the world than a squadbay in the Marine Corps. There are however lines that never got crossed. The N word was a big one. It did not matter how good of a Marine you were. That did not fly. RI is an arrogant a** who thinks the rules do not apply to him. I will never root for him.

Talk about blaming the victim. The guy was called the N word multiple times. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT BEHAVIOR NONE. I spent a lot of years in the Marine Corps. You will not find a bigger petry dish of macismo in the world than a squadbay in the Marine Corps. There are however lines that never got crossed. The N word was a big one. It did not matter how good of a Marine you were. That did not fly. RI is an arrogant a** who thinks the rules do not apply to him. I will never root for him.
I was not blaming the victim (JM). I have never felt that RI acted appropriately. I do think JM was a victim of an extreme aspect of NFL and Football culture. JM in his own words mentions, in a lot of respects, how he felt he never fit into the many environments he was placed from late grade school on. He did feel he fit well in Stanford Football. The NFL isn't Stanford Football. A team that better understood JM would have handled him better. Every report I ever read indicated that RI and other players were put up to it to a certain extent. And to put it another way RI doesn't understand the word nuance and the N-Word was bandied about a great deal by both AA & White players. I don't find using words like that appropriate even in that case, but a lot of people do not "get" that.

it is all about context. There is not one situation you or I have ever been in that would allow for the N word to be used. Yet rap stars use it unite frequently. Comedians have used it in context of their act.

No no one has ever asserted that RI is racist. I doubt he'd still be active in the NFL if he were or was even perceived to be. Should that word be allowed in the locker room. I suspect people with better judgement would have said something differently.

Nevertheless Martin lacked the courage, personal fortitude and common sense to deal with the issue directly, internally. He had to make it public. He darn near destroyed someone's life because he perceived he was being bullied. In the context of an NFL locker room.

Youre passing judgement as am I by employing our experiences and beliefs in a situation we do not quite understand. No one is saying what RI did is right but I am saying what Jonathan Martin did wasn't right either.

I agree with that. I don't know anyone that condones this type of behavior but hopefully he has learned.

On/off topic for those in the Military. In our platoon in boot camp we had some fellers that decided one night to get a pillow case and some soap and go beat a guy for being slack and basically a putz. I slept through the incident but was questioned later about it (I was the platoon guide). The recruit that got beat eventually was dropped the ones that did the beating kept going. Not sure that could happen now in today's military.

We did it too to some ******** bag who didn't know what a shower was. It still happens but I don't think nearly as much.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back