• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rich Pitino to Minnesota?!

Given what they are ending up with...I probably would have stuck with Tubby for another year and hoped for the best.

That's a big "who knows?!" And yes, I did initially read "Rick," and checked my calendar and eyes. Seriously, if he didn't have the last name Pitino, it would like the biggest yawner hire ever.

That's a big "who knows?!" And yes, I did initially read "Rick," and checked my calendar and eyes. Seriously, if he didn't have the last name Pitino, it would like the biggest yawner hire ever.

Haha.. I did the same.. I was first like, "Well, Richard is the long version of Rick, isn't it?" Then kept thinking to myself how in no way could Rick would ever even ENTERTAIN the thought of going to Minnesota.

But to dispute your last sentence.. He's got quite the pedigree. He turned around FIU pretty damn fast. Coached under daddy and Billy Donovan. Adapted his game to reflect both, even though his coaching style/demeanor is closer to Billy's than Rick. Also, sounds like he would bring a different style of ball to the B1G (not sold on that, obviously).

I'm very, very intrigued if this is true.

Haha.. I did the same.. I was first like, "Well, Richard is the long version of Rick, isn't it?" Then kept thinking to myself how in no way could Rick would ever even ENTERTAIN the thought of going to Minnesota.

But to dispute your last sentence.. He's got quite the pedigree. He turned around FIU pretty damn fast. Coached under daddy and Billy Donovan. Adapted his game to reflect both, even though his coaching style/demeanor is closer to Billy's than Rick. Also, sounds like he would bring a different style of ball to the B1G (not sold on that, obviously).

I'm very, very intrigued if this is true.

Reason to be intrigued. But his coaching experience is extremely limited. One year as a head coach. 8 years total in coaching. Only 30 years of age ... definitely younger than Shaka and Stevens .... youngest coach in division I ? He may very well be a super star hire ... but it's clearly a big time risk.

Gophers whiffed on all their top hopefuls, shaka, flip, the list goes on. Now they're grasping at straws and finding that not many second-tier guys are interested. Maybe should have thought of that before they fired a name brand (yes, over rated, but Tubby is still Tubby) with a $3mil buyout only to find themselves scrambling and likely to only end up with an unproven commodity. Par for the course, UM has the most uncommitted and clumsy athletic department in the country for going on 50 years now across all sports, except hockey which has obvious built-in talent pool advantages.

Last edited:

Gophers whiffed on all their top hopefuls, shaka, flip, the list goes on. Now they're grasping at straws and finding that not many second-tier guys are interested. Maybe should have thought of that before they fired a name brand (yes, over rated, but Tubby is still Tubby) with a $3mil buyout only to find themselves scrambling and likely to only end up with an unproven commodity. Par for the course, UM has the most uncommitted and clumsy athletic department in the country for going on 50 years now across all sports, except hockey which has obvious built-in talent pool advantages.

They 'whiffed' only when you ask the media. Which, to be honest here, view the Gophers mostly as an annoyance. This is a pro-town, and anything they 'have' to go and cover for the U they'll $#*t on ASAP.

Tubby needed to go. Anyone following the team knew this. And honestly, with the exception of Shaka, Pitino was THE home run hire (some would argue Flip would be as well, but I disagree).

Also, had to add that with the new leadership at Minnesota (Prexy Kaler and AD Norwood Teague), they are very much committed to running a success university, in ALL aspects including athletics. ESPECIALLY the money making ones. Rick Pitino loves Norwood. He wouldn't have recommended his boy to come to Minny if he didn't like him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back