• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rib rub

Nostradumbass

I sweep the floors
10 Year Member
Anybody got a good(non sweet) rub recipe they would like to share. I mostly use a Cajun shake that I get from cabelas but would rather try something home made.

This is a rub that works great for Memphis-style ribs (hickory smoked, with an apple juice mop). I've never tried it in any other way, so can't say how it would go otherwise.

4 T. paprika
3 T. light brown sugar
2 T. chili powder
2 T. black pepper
1 T. salt
2 t. garlic powder
2 t. onion powder
1 t. cayenne

I also crush all the spices with a mortar and pestle to bring out the flavors. This covers two racks . . . the recipe from which I got it says to rub on the ribs only a hour before cooking, letting it sit at room temperature until putting it on the grill/smoker.

This is a rub that works great for Memphis-style ribs (hickory smoked, with an apple juice mop). I've never tried it in any other way, so can't say how it would go otherwise.

4 T. paprika
3 T. light brown sugar
2 T. chili powder
2 T. black pepper
1 T. salt
2 t. garlic powder
2 t. onion powder
1 t. cayenne

I also crush all the spices with a mortar and pestle to bring out the flavors. This covers two racks . . . the recipe from which I got it says to rub on the ribs only a hour before cooking, letting it sit at room temperature until putting it on the grill/smoker.

Rendezvous Rub
Makes. Makes a bit more than two cups, enough for about 12 pounds of ribs. You can keep in a jar for months.
Takes. 10 minutes
Ingredients
8 tablespoons American paprika
4 tablespoons powdered garlic
4 tablespoons mild chili powder
3 tablespoons ground black pepper
3 tablespoons Morton's kosher salt
4 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seed
1 tablespoon crushed celery seed
1 tablespoon whole celery seed
1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano
1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme
1 tablespoon whole allspice seeds
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon whole coriander seed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon Ac'cent

Method
1) Mix all the rub ingredients in a bowl, making sure to break up all lumps. Put it in an airtight jar.

I've made some great rubs, but I never write anything down :(

I will say that my key ingredients are chili, garlic, and onion powders.

Brine the ribs in Rootbeer

Then a spicy rub

thank me later

Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Lawry's Seasoned Pepper, Cavendar's Greek Seasoning, Rendezvous Seasoning.
Cook over hickory chunks or chips.
Git' er Done!!!!!!!!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back