• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule reportedly turned us down. Update: Well Maybe Not

Of course Rhule has left when things were looking up at both places and I got to believe it was for the money just like most and if Penn state job were to open we might be looking again ourselves
For sure, I wouldn’t be shocked if a lowered buyout for PSU was a clause in his contract. For the money definitely, but neither of his moves were lateral. All of our options would’ve either been leaving their current teams after two years, in the latter half of their careers, or they have an alma mater that could come a calling. Ironically, I think Kiffin may have been the coach with the longest tenure here.

Last edited:
So he goes from zero background in the state, to being arguably the most trusted coach there, to not being able to get his foot back in the door after being in the NFL. Is that your circular logic?

You act like 3 years is a lifetime ago. Those same coaches are still at those high schools. He'll still have those same connections and trust with them. There'll be no lag time with him in that state.

What it shows is his ability to ingratiate himself with high school coaches in key recruiting areas. He'll do that at Nebraska too.

Serious question for you @N2FL, what is your opinion on Matt Rhule as a recruiter?

I thought he did well at Temple by getting kids that would have otherwise gone to Penn. St.

Can he close the deal for a recruit?

Unless the recruit lives across the street from Temple.

I believe closing on a recruit would be easier for Nebraska.

What the h** do I know.

:thumbsup:

good-question-question.gif

Last edited:
Can he finish. I read your graphs with a different trend. Like the man leaves for the next highest bidder About every 3 years. I guess he doesn’t have to chase a paycheck anymore so maybe this time is different. I hope so. Hate to invest a lot of energy for him to replace Franklin when he Goes pro.
Here's the Temple coaching history. Since the 80's, nobody has stayed at Temple very long. There's a reason for that . . . it's Temple. You go there to get a foot in the door and try to take a step up when you have success (better programs and more $$$)--or you get fired because it's Temple.

1669509670845.png

So Rhule turns Temple around and Baylor comes knocking with a chance to coach in a far better conference, a shot at the playoffs if he can turn it around and for way more money than Temple can afford. I suppose you wouldn't do that yourself, right? You'd keep slogging away at the corner Jiffy Lube when a Cadillac dealership in another state wants you to be the GM?

Rhule gets his shot at the better school and turns that around, too . . . so much so that the NFL comes calling with generational money and THE chance that most coaches live for--a shot at THE show. Rhule takes what may be a once-in-a-lifetime chance. Doesn't end up working out. But you wouldn't have jumped at that chance if it was you? You would have not only stayed at Jiffy Lube when Caddy called--you would have stayed at Jiffy Lube when Ferrarri called and wanted you to take over an entire district?

I can hardly blame Rhule for stepping up when he had the chance. That's pretty much what the coaching world is these days--just look at the other schools. My guess is that Rhule might be ready to settle in, having taken a shot at the Holy Grail and it failing. If he DOES come up with a shot at some other University in the next few years--that means he's turned NU around. Guess I'm good with taking that chance.

Last edited:
Here's the Temple coaching history. Since the 80's, nobody has stayed at Temple very long. There's a reason for that . . . it's Temple. You go there to get a foot in the door and try to take a step up when you have success (better programs and more $$$)--or you get fired because it's Temple.

View attachment 91116
So Rhule turns Temple around and Baylor comes knocking with a chance to coach in a far better conference, a shot at the playoffs if he can turn it around and for way more money than Temple can afford. I suppose you wouldn't do that yourself, right? You'd keep slogging away at the corner Jiffy Lube when a Cadillac dealership in another state wants you to be the GM?

Rhule gets his shot at the better school and turns that around, too . . . so much so that the NFL comes calling with generational money and THE chance that most coaches live for--a shot at THE show. Rhule takes what may be a once-in-a-lifetime chance. Doesn't end up working out. But you wouldn't have jumped at that chance if it was you? You would have not only stayed at Jiffy Lube when Caddy called--you would have stayed at Jiffy Lube when Ferrarri called and wanted you to take over an entire district?

I can hardly blame Rhule for stepping up when he had the chance. That's pretty much what the coaching world is these days--just look at the other schools. My guess is that Rhule might be ready to settle in, having taken a shot at the Holy Grail and it failing. If he DOES come up with a shot at some other University in the next few years--that means he's turned NU around. Guess I'm good with taking that chance.
I completely agree with most of what you saying. But if a trend leads that way then we hire the guy knowing it could happen and it’s a trend are we not automatically saying Nebraska is just another stop .

Serious question for you @N2FL, what is your opinion on Matt Rhule as a recruiter?

I thought he did well at Temple by getting kids that would have otherwise gone to Penn. St.

Can he close the deal for a recruit?

I really, really like his philosophy of prioritizing height/length and speed. It might bother some fans, but he has physical metrics he wants each position group to meet. He puts a premium on verified track times and camp/combine numbers.

There will be times he offers and signs a kid where Nebraska is easily his best offer and fans will wonder "Who the heck is this? We beat out teams in the Sun Belt for this kid?"

But he has a track record for developing kids. I think he'll take steps. He'll get a ton of high three star kids and develop them. Once he gets Nebraska to take a jump in the win column, he'll start giving himself access to more and more four-stars that he'll be able to point to results in order to beat other prominent teams to get.

If Trev gives him a big salary pool, he might have the mean$ to go get some elite recruiters that have worked for him before, namely Elijah Robinson (D-line, Texas A&M) and Fran Brown (DBs, Georgia).

I completely agree with most of what you saying. But if a trend leads that way then we hire the guy knowing it could happen and it’s a trend are we not automatically saying Nebraska is just another stop .
I mean . . . did anyone think Lincoln Riley would bolt OU almost overnight? Who predicted Kelly would leave ND?

Like it or not, it's a coaching carousel these days. If Rhule gets to the point where some high-profile team comes knocking, then he's accomplished what we want him to at NU. And who's to say if that day comes that NU can't offer enough to keep him?

I don't know if Rhule will work out or not. I'm VERY hopefull given his history in college ball. If he's getting poached in a few years, then he's winning a lot of games and has built the Huskers back up again. I'll worry about that if/when it happens. Right now, I'm thrilled we have a guy who has a record of building struggling teams up on board to try and get this desperate ship back on track. I'm going to enjoy the ride until I'm given a specific reason not to.

Of course Rhule has left when things were looking up at both places and I got to believe it was for the money just like most and if Penn state job were to open we might be looking again ourselves
The only report on record about his dream job wasn’t penn st. It was the HC at NY Giants. Just cause he played for PSU doesn’t mean he’d want to go back.

I really, really like his philosophy of prioritizing height/length and speed. It might bother some fans, but he has physical metrics he wants each position group to meet. He puts a premium on verified track times and camp/combine numbers.

There will be times he offers and signs a kid where Nebraska is easily his best offer and fans will wonder "Who the heck is this? We beat out teams in the Sun Belt for this kid?"

But he has a track record for developing kids. I think he'll take steps. He'll get a ton of high three star kids and develop them. Once he gets Nebraska to take a jump in the win column, he'll start giving himself access to more and more four-stars that he'll be able to point to results in order to beat other prominent teams to get.

If Trev gives him a big salary pool, he might have the mean$ to go get some elite recruiters that have worked for him before, namely Elijah Robinson (D-line, Texas A&M) and Fran Brown (DBs, Georgia).
Thanks for the input on his recruiting prowess and process.

I hope he recruits a different type of OL and goes with less height.

Appreciate your time

View attachment 91116

I don’t see there being a step up from Nebraska. There is a ton of unrealized potential in this program. If he does what I think he can do, recruiting becomes exponentially easier regardless of location.

If Rhule gets to the point where some high-profile team comes knocking, then he's accomplished what we want him to at NU. And who's to say if that day comes that NU can't offer enough to keep him?
If Rhule gets us to that point, Nebraska will be the high profile team he is already working for, and he will be able to, at that point, dictate his salary. I'd say if another school comes knocking, he leverages the offer for a contract extension and bump, and stays put, unless it is PSU or some other attainable grail-type school he might harbor a special hankering for. Or, the fishbowl and fan base has burned him out, lol.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back