• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RFI: Looking for some new recipes

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
The woman to whom I am related by marriage will be gone on her annual "sister trip" this weekend and my kitchen usually turns into an alcohol soaked laboratory so I'm looking for some new/good recipes to try. Normally, I'd be out bravely manning the smoker but its supposed to storm all day tomorrow so that's out. I'm really into quality Mexican food and really good pub grub so I'm thinking pork carnitas with a variation of the mango salsa that jikastew was kind enough to provide in my fish taco thread. Shrimp and grits sounds really tasty as well but I really want to try something I've not attempted before. I appreciate any and all ideas.

Apple stuffed pork chops?

Crab stuffed chicken?

I made a parm crusted shrimp the other day with linguini (sp?) in a butter, garlic, white wine sauce with halved cherry tomatoes.

Lobster/seafood bisque?

Grilled cheese on ciabatta bread with smoked bacon, tomatoes and a guyere/cheddar/mozz cheese mix. Make it with some tomato soup in a bread bowl.

I'll put some more thought to it.

Apple stuffed pork chops?

Crab stuffed chicken?

I made a parm crusted shrimp the other day with linguini (sp?) in a butter, garlic, white wine sauce with halved cherry tomatoes.

Lobster/seafood bisque?

Grilled cheese on ciabatta bread with smoked bacon, tomatoes and a guyere/cheddar/mozz cheese mix. Make it with some tomato soup in a bread bowl.

I'll put some more thought to it.

I've done the apple stuffed pork chops and those are very good. I also put a bit of feta cheese in there with the apples for a little bite and it came out very well.

The crab stuffed chicken is intriguing. Which cut of the chicken did you use? I'm a thigh guy but a breast sounds like it would be perfect for that.

I don't have access to very much fresh seafood so I'm not sure about the lobster bisque but I have had it and I love it.

I love the grilled cheese idea! I've done similar with Italian or Cuban bread and have used Ciabatta rolls for gourmet burgers but never for grilled cheese. I bought a press a while back for Cubanos so I'm set, in that regard. That one gets the wheels turning NU, thank you for the idea(s). Right now, this is on the very short list.

Sheet pan nachos.
1. Brown two pounds of hamburger, season with the spiciest taco/chili mix you can handle.
2. Pour a bag of lime chips on a sheet pan covered with aluminum foil.
3. Spoon meat over the first layer of chips.
4. Spread shredded cheese & jalapenos over the meat.
5. Second layer of chips.
6. The rest of the meat.
7. More cheese & jalapenos, with dollops of guac & sour cream.
8. Chopped onions all over the pan, green onions as well if you so desire.
9. Drizzle your favorite salsa or hot sauce over the pan.
10. Crack a cold one & dig in!

Last edited:

How about sausage, peppers & onions? I start with ring sausage:

ItalianRingThinPlainSausage.jpg

1. Cook it for about 10 minutes on both sides, turning once.
2. Then I add chicken stock to steam the sausage for about 15 -20 minutes. I add stock as it cooks so as not to burn the sausage.
3. While the sausage is cooking, cut up red, green, yellow, and orange peppers, slice onions, and peel & dice garlic. You could also add spicy peppers to saute.
4. Remove the sausage after 20 minutes of cooking, and add the vegetables to the skillet.
5. Once they begin to soften, add the sausage back in and cook until the peppers are done, the onions are cooked through, and the garlic has become a thickener for the sauce.

Last edited:
Sheet pan nachos.
1. Brown two pounds of hamburger, season with the spiciest taco/chili mix you can handle.
2. Pour a bag of lime chips on a sheet pan covered with aluminum foil.
3. Spoon meat over the first layer of chips.
4. Spread shredded cheese & jalapenos over the meat.
5. Second layer of chips.
6. The rest of the meat.
7. More cheese & jalapenos, with dollops of guac & sour cream.
8. Chopped onions all over the pan, green onions as well if you so desire.
9. Drizzle your favorite salsa or hot sauce over the pan.
10. Crack a cold one & dig in!

That is a great taligate recipe. I have one similar but like to mix it up so I'll try this.

Whoa. Those look and sound incredible. That thread was before my time but I have now saved and printed this. I probably won't do them this weekend but I will try to the next time I BBQ.

How about sausage, peppers & onions? I start with ring sausage:

Love sausage and peppers and it's been a while so that is on the radar now.

ItalianRingThinPlainSausage.jpg

1. Cook it for about 10 minutes on both sides, turning once.
2. Then I add chicken stock to steam the sausage for about 15 -20 minutes. I add stock as it cooks so as not to burn the sausage.
3. While the sausage is cooking, cut up red, green, yellow, and orange peppers, slice onions, and peel & dice garlic. You could also add spicy peppers to saute.
4. Remove the sausage after the 40 minutes of cooking, and add the vegetables to the skillet.
5. Once they begin to soften, add the sausage back in and cook until the peppers are done, the onions are cooked through, and the garlic has become a thickener for the sauce.

You could also peruse this thread for some ideas: Four ingredients or less, under 30 minutes

Thanks for the link and for the ideas!

That is a great taligate recipe. I have one similar but like to mix it up so I'll try this.

Whoa. Those look and sound incredible. That thread was before my time but I have now saved and printed this. I probably won't do them this weekend but I will try to the next time I BBQ.

Thanks for the link and for the ideas!

I am always happy to share recipes. As you can see, I love to cook. I hope you enjoy them!

Please note that I changed the directions to 20 minutes of cooking the ring sausage from the original post of 40 minutes. I just caught that. 10 minutes a side, remove and cook the peppers, onions & garlic. Cook for 15-20 minutes. When the veg are soft, then add the sausage back in, to heat through & complete the cooking process.

Please note that I changed the directions to 20 minutes of cooking the ring sausage from the original post of 40 minutes. I just caught that. 10 minutes a side, remove and cook the peppers, onions & garlic. Cook for 15-20 minutes. When the veg are soft, then add the sausage back in, to heat through & complete the cooking process.

Thanks, I didn't catch that either. I wonder how that would be if I smoked the sausage after putting a sear on it?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back