• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rex Burkhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great for Rex, but I'll be happier when the field narrows to the Top 10 or so.

I think that objectively, Rex is one of the 10 best running backs in the country right now. It'll be nice when he's still on the list with guys like Montee Ball and Marcus Lattimore and they've weeded out the no-names from FIU, Troy and Utah State.

If NU can win 10+ regular season games, and be in the top 10 in October and November, Rex has a great shot at winning this award.

If NU can win 10+ regular season games, and be in the top 10 in October and November, Rex has a great shot at winning this award.

I think even then he may not win it. He's going to have to lead in other categories beyond fan support and heart. No knock on Rex, but there are some athletic guys out there that he will have to out play for this award.

I think even then he may not win it. He's going to have to lead in other categories beyond fan support and heart. No knock on Rex, but there are some athletic guys out there that he will have to out play for this award.
Doak Walker from Highland Park HS in Dallas.... Rex Burkhead from Plano (which is practically Dallas)... It is in the Bag... Rex has a year even as good as last year... He'll win it...

The problem is I think he gets a little more judicious rest this year. Stats may not be in his favor. In which case I say it's a common problem that many humans cannot use judgment and misinterpret stats. Rex is huge to this program. He's the heart of the lion. Wether stats and awards say so or not.

Doak Walker from Highland Park HS in Dallas.... Rex Burkhead from Plano (which is practically Dallas)... It is in the Bag... Rex has a year even as good as last year... He'll win it...

I'm not sure why Rex being from Plano is a reason to consider him for the award. (I know where Plano is, I'm a Texas boy myself)

I love Rex as much as the next Husker fan, but honestly he will have to do much better, statistically, than last season to win the award, unless we are headed for a national title.

As valuable as Rex is for our offense he was only #16th for total yards, #114 in yards per carry, #14 in TDs, & while his longest run is 52, he doesn't have a highlight reel full of those types of runs.

This season, I don't see him producing better numbers than last season, not that his worth will go down but I think with the offense having a year with Beck under their belt, Martinez (hopefully) looking better as a passer accompanied with him being 100% (as some are saying now, I though he was 100% last season), he can add to the ground game, also with Abduallah as a speedster, with the new guys of Cross/Morrow/Frazier, we won't have to depend so much on Rex to carry us as we did last season. That's not to mention the addition to the group that I believe is one of the best WR depths NU has had in some time of Westerkamp with Bell/Turner/Enunwa/Allen/Marlow. Again, I would love to see it happen, but I wouldn't bet my lunch money on it. Rex of all people deserve an award named after him. But winning this one, he has a steep hill to climb, just because of his running style and how we will use him.

Hopefully with an improved passing game, better Oline play and year 2 of TB's offense it will lead to more YPC for Rex and maybe a few more TD's.

Rex's stats were not as favorable as other high profile RB's but I doubt any other player was as valuable to a team as he was.

Last edited:
Hopefully with an improved passing game, better Oline play and year 2 of TB's offense it will lead to more YPC for Rex and maybe a few more TD's.

Rex's stats were not as favorable as other high profile RB's but I doubt any other player was as valuable to a team as he was.

No argument there. But I'm not sure that is a deciding factor when deciding the winner of the award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back