• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rewatched 2018 Michigan State Game

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Man our defense looked good that day. If the Blackshirts can build off that game, or even just replicate it, we'll win a lot of games in 2019. The offense should be able to find their rhythm, but I'm most concerned for the defense. That day, we were absolutely swarming to the ball like killer bees.

I like our games with Sparty...I agree, we had times last year where the D showed lots of promise, I would love to see more pressure on the QB without having to blitz....I miss those days!! Hopefully after becoming bigger stronger and quicker this past year, we will be able to! Bring On The Jags!!

I think MSU’s offense and game plan helped the Blackshirts. I’d have to rewatch it myself, but i seem to recall that for whatever reason, they decided to throw the ball more when they probably should have just stuck with the ground game.

Sparty’s offensive coordinator has got to go. With that defense of theirs year in, year out, they’d be salty if the offense didn’t consistently under perform.

I think MSU’s offense and game plan helped the Blackshirts. I’d have to rewatch it myself, but i seem to recall that for whatever reason, they decided to throw the ball more when they probably should have just stuck with the ground game.

MSU's offense was woeful last year. and same story in our game. I don't want to discount our offensive effort, but I agree that MSU should have just pounded the rock, and leaned on their defense.

I like our games with Sparty...I agree, we had times last year where the D showed lots of promise, I would love to see more pressure on the QB without having to blitz....I miss those days!! Hopefully after becoming bigger stronger and quicker this past year, we will be able to! Bring On The Jags!!
For whatever reason, Sparty is one program in the Big 10 that NU has consistently owned since we joined.

Their offensive playcalling last year in that snowstorm was mystifying.

I'd suggest watching some other games too, to get a more well rounded (and sickening) perspective of how the defense played...say against Michigan, Iowa, Wisky, and even Northwestern and Purdue for good measure. I think that everyone who watched our defense play has rose colored glasses on if they think how they played in one, snowy game against MSU is indicative of how they look. I'd say it was much closer to reality in the Iowa and Wisky where those two teams crammed it right down the team's throat. TBH, I don't see how this team wins seven games if the defense doesn't play substantially better than it did OVERALL from last year.

Man our defense looked good that day. If the Blackshirts can build off that game, or even just replicate it, we'll win a lot of games in 2019. The offense should be able to find their rhythm, but I'm most concerned for the defense. That day, we were absolutely swarming to the ball like killer bees.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a weather-aided home game...the defense was pretty lousy all year in 2018, but I do think that will change quite a bit in 2019.

The 2019 Huskers don't need to be as stiff as the 2009 version. They really just need to find a way to give up 24 points per game or less. We scored at least that much in every game except Troy (backup quarterback), Michigan (ugh), and Michigan State.

Based on 2018 stats, that would be a top 40-ish defense. Doesn't seem unattainable.

If we can get solid play across the board from all 4 LB positions--they don't need to be all-conference, but that wouldn't hurt--we're going to have an excellent defense this fall. Our D-line was a weakness last year, and it will be a strength this year, and that makes everybody else better.

If we can get solid play across the board from all 4 LB positions--they don't need to be all-conference, but that wouldn't hurt--we're going to have an excellent defense this fall. Our D-line was a weakness last year, and it will be a strength this year, and that makes everybody else better.
i wish I was as blindly optimistic as you guys are. I have to see it on the field against teams like Wisky and Iowa before I annoint our D-Line as improved over the last few years. I definitely hope it's better... because I'd hate to see it the same or worse.

Last edited:
Pretty much this. If they had kept pounding the middle it would have been tough to get the win.

The D played well that's for sure but MSU helped.

i wish I was as blindly optimistic as you guys are. I have to see it on the field against teams like Wisky and Iowa before I annoint our D-Line as improved over the last few years. I definitely hope it's better... because I'd hate to see it the same or worse.
I don't believe anyone is "blindly optimistic." Most understand that, if nothing else, a full year in the new system will greatly benefit returning defensive players. The secondary play is likely going to be outstanding and the DL has been greatly improved with the addition of Darrion Daniels. LB seems to be the weakest position, but we have a budding All-BIG with Barry, along with several other potentially strong starters...though not much depth. All in all, absent a huge hit by the injury bug, significant defensive improvement seems likely.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back