• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reverse Sear

NU_Alum

Husker Fan
5 Year Member
I've commented a few times on this but as I cooked steaks again tonight and they were perfect, I thought I'd start a thread on it.

I have taken to cooking steaks in the oven at 225 degrees until 110-115 (wife gets 115, I get 110). I salt them a minimum of 24 hours before cooking and they chill (I know, bad pun) in the fridge. I let them rest about 10 minutes and then throw on a smoking hot grill. I'm guessing it's around 450 or so (it's old, beat up and in need of retirement). 2-3 minutes one side, flip, a few minutes other side, reflip for 1-2 minutes (get the cross pattern grill marks) and then flip again. Probably around 10 minutes total on the grill with the flips.

It comes out literally perfect. Amazing color on the outside and the EXACT same doneness throughout. There is next to no "grey" zone between the crust and the center. We are Nebraska born and raised and the wife says she's happy to know that if I ever lose my job, I can go cook to pay the bills. I've cooked steaks since I can remember with all sorts of crazy methods.

I made an herb garlic butter to top it tonight. Unsalted butter, fresh parsley, basil and rosemary (all from the garden) with garlic just cooked in unsalted butter to release the taste.

I took the reverse sear method off of the amazing rib cooking site (Link). If you haven't read that site and tried about everything they do, you're missing out.

The meat is from a 1/2 we bought out of Wisconsin. Grass fed, grain finished. Steaks are 1 1/2 inch think. If these aren't the best steaks you've cooked I will be beyond amazed.

Last edited:

I like it.

I still think the factors in a great piece of meat are:

1. The cow
2. The cut
3. The cook

Got to have all three, though.

A buddy of mine hipped me to this a few months ago. Haven't tried it yet but you've convinced me. Where's the food pr0n?

I saw this on reddit and the results look fabulous. Looking forward to trying it myself.

Which cut did you use? Do you all feel that this works on some cuts better than others i.e. thicker cut, more marbling etc?

I've done about every steak (well, not flank) from porterhouse, to a filet, strip and a ribeye.

I like my steaks around 1 1/2 but an inch will be good (probably less time on the grill).

I'll try and remember to post pics next time. I usually have a few cocktails and then forget in my rush to eat!

I've done about every steak (well, not flank) from porterhouse, to a filet, strip and a ribeye.

I like my steaks around 1 1/2 but an inch will be good (probably less time on the grill).

I'll try and remember to post pics next time. I usually have a few cocktails and then forget in my rush to eat!

Thanks, I'm definitely going to give this a shot. Trust me, after a few cocktails, the pics never turn out anyway.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back