• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

Update on Steph's progress: About a week ago she started taking a few steps on her own, without support from her hands, walker, etc. Incidentally, she did this without my knowledge or permission! I was in the back of the house, and I heard some noises coming from the front... (she was supposed to be in bed) -- then I find out she stood up (without using her hands), walked to her wheelchair and got in it (about 8 steps)!

She has been having more aches and pains in the past week; I'm sure this is like an amplified version of post-workout soreness (imagine every day, working out more intense than ever before... that's what it's like as her muscle fibers, nerves, etc. come back online).

Yesterday, Steph was able to get up and walk behind her wheelchair (using it for support) around the house, to the bathroom, etc. Another big step! She also walked ~ 100 feet with her walker on Thursday. Little by little, she's building up her stamina. Always at the end of her activity, she's winded and needs a break. All part of the progress.

Also Saturday night, she prepared our supper all by herself! Mostly it was just microwaving stuff, but this is by far the most she's been able to do as far as navigating around the kitchen, etc. Of course, she made me do all the cleanup afterward... (this has been our usual arrangement forever) -- but I told her it was no big deal, since I've been doing everything for the past five months -- this was like a break to only have to do the cleanup!

Today we were making brunch; Steph's duty was cooking the bacon in the microwave (her call). Unfortunately, as she was grabbing the plate out of the microwave, it was hotter than she expected, and she dropped the plate, spilling the hot grease on her bare legs. So that was our little emergency today. She's been "demoted" -- no more bacon duty, at least until she's able to stand to work the microwave!

Update on Steph's progress: About a week ago she started taking a few steps on her own, without support from her hands, walker, etc. Incidentally, she did this without my knowledge or permission! I was in the back of the house, and I heard some noises coming from the front... (she was supposed to be in bed) -- then I find out she stood up (without using her hands), walked to her wheelchair and got in it (about 8 steps)!

She has been having more aches and pains in the past week; I'm sure this is like an amplified version of post-workout soreness (imagine every day, working out more intense than ever before... that's what it's like as her muscle fibers, nerves, etc. come back online).

Yesterday, Steph was able to get up and walk behind her wheelchair (using it for support) around the house, to the bathroom, etc. Another big step! She also walked ~ 100 feet with her walker on Thursday. Little by little, she's building up her stamina. Always at the end of her activity, she's winded and needs a break. All part of the progress.

Also Saturday night, she prepared our supper all by herself! Mostly it was just microwaving stuff, but this is by far the most she's been able to do as far as navigating around the kitchen, etc. Of course, she made me do all the cleanup afterward... (this has been our usual arrangement forever) -- but I told her it was no big deal, since I've been doing everything for the past five months -- this was like a break to only have to do the cleanup!

Today we were making brunch; Steph's duty was cooking the bacon in the microwave (her call). Unfortunately, as she was grabbing the plate out of the microwave, it was hotter than she expected, and she dropped the plate, spilling the hot grease on her bare legs. So that was our little emergency today. She's been "demoted" -- no more bacon duty, at least until she's able to stand to work the microwave!
Baby steps turning into Mrs EVK steps! Great to hear, may God watch over her in her bravery to succeed

Glad to hear about Steph's progress, but keep her safe and make sure she is able to keep making progress! Love hearing about your story EVK! Truly inspiring.

Getting better each and every day which is great news

God is good and God is great!

Today after work, we went out shopping for groceries (she's been begging for me to take her for about a week). I told her I have enough trouble pushing a shopping cart through a crowded supermarket, much less pushing her in a wheelchair at the same time!

So I finally gave in. I was imagining her getting about halfway down the 2nd aisle, and getting winded and needing to go home -- or some other emergency. On top of that, I forgot to bring the (detachable) leg rests for the wheelchair -- and I figured she'd get tuckered out having to either hold up her legs, or scoot Flintstones' style through the store... But -- surprisingly (or maybe NOT surprisingly, based on everything else she's done) -- she made it through the whole store with no problems! (The only problem was, she loaded up the cart with so much stuff that we barely had room for it all at home.)

Back to the wheelchair part of the story. Normally I wheel her out the back door, down the ramps, then around front to the garage. And Maverick goes ballistic, thinking Mommy's going away for another three months... But today Steph was ready to try walking down the step to the garage. She did a great job (holding my hands for support)! All while Mavi lay unsuspecting on the back patio! So normally in the house, we have the leg rests off the wheelchair, and Steph just scoots around with foot power. So that's how the wheelchair was configured when I loaded it in the back of the SUV, not thinking. Turns out it was better without the leg rests. More room in the back for groceries, and it made the wheelchair more compact for getting around in the store.

So, not only was this Steph's first shopping trip in over five months -- she also wore her wedding ring for the first time in over five months!

Little steps of progress every day! Hallelujah!!

(P.S. -- She hadn't worn her rings because her fingers had been swollen...)

Last edited:
Today after work, we went out shopping for groceries (she's been begging for me to take her for about a week). I told her I have enough trouble pushing a shopping cart through a crowded supermarket, much less pushing her in a wheelchair at the same time!

So I finally gave in. I was imagining her getting about halfway down the 2nd aisle, and getting winded and needing to go home -- or some other emergency. On top of that, I forgot to bring the (detachable) leg rests for the wheelchair -- and I figured she'd get tuckered out having to either hold up her legs, or scoot Flintstones' style through the store... But -- surprisingly (or maybe NOT surprisingly, based on everything else she's done) -- she made it through the whole store with no problems! (The only problem was, she loaded up the cart with so much stuff that we barely had room for it all at home.)

Back to the wheelchair part of the story. Normally I wheel her out the back door, down the ramps, then around front to the garage. And Maverick goes ballistic, thinking Mommy's going away for another three months... But today Steph was ready to try walking down the step to the garage. She did a great job (holding my hands for support)! All while Mavi lay unsuspecting on the back patio! So normally in the house, we have the leg rests off the wheelchair, and Steph just scoots around with foot power. So that's how the wheelchair was configured when I loaded it in the back of the SUV, not thinking. Turns out it was better without the leg rests. More room in the back for groceries, and it made the wheelchair more compact for getting around in the store.

So, not only was this Steph's first shopping trip in over five months -- she also wore her wedding ring for the first time in over five months!

Fantastic update about Steph Elwood! Awesome to hear how she keeps overcoming the obstacles in her way!!

As for the wedding ring, I did not even "question" the thought until I read the P.S. part lol

Keep walking on the path set forth by The Big Guy!!

EvK, speaking of Steph's rings, if you find that after the swelling has subsided her rings no longer fit properly due to the battle she has fought, I would be honored to take care of the resizing of her rings, on the house at my store. PM me if I can ever be of any help.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back