• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

MORE Good News and more progress today! We finally got a visit from a Physical Therapist today, who did an initial assessment. Today Steph sat up on the edge of the bed BY HERSELF. Then the PT was going to have me help her stand up, like we did yesterday. But then she stopped us and said "Wait! I want to see if she can do it" -- by grabbing onto the handles of the wheelchair. She then stood up "almost" on her own -- I did give her just a minor boost (as she popped a wheelie with the wheelchair). And she was pretty steady standing, just holding onto the wheelchair. Then the PT asked her if she could "march" -- well, that was a little too much; as she tried to step with one foot, the other started to give way, so she had to sit back down. Then the PT asked her to march while sitting (raising one leg at a time). Steph couldn't do this in the rehab facility, and before she tried, she said "I can't do that" -- but then it was, "Oh wait -- I'm doing it!" She did so well! She has really gained a lot of strength lately. And she slid into her wheelchair all by herself (with the slide board). I was so surprised, because we had never even attempted that (I would always help her by lifting / sliding). HALLELUJAH! Praise God for continued progress!
SO SO happy for the continued progress and great news @Elwood von Kiowa , Keeping you all in our prayers. Praise the Lord!!

Steph had had a matted, tangled, "helmet" of hair that developed from having no one to care for it since she left Piedmont Atlanta. Last Thursday, our home care assistant Stacey shampooed her hair and brushed it out (not necessarily in that order -- it was a long process). She was able to get out all the tangles. Unfortunately, most of Steph's thick, glorious hair also came out in the process. Apparently this can happen after being hit so hard by Covid, bedridden for so long, etc.

Today Stacey gave Steph a haircut, which makes it look a lot nicer (though short).

So I know it's a minor thing compared to all she's been through, but we're praying for Steph's hair to grow back.

Also, she still hasn't begun PT, as it's been difficult to find available therapists. We're finally having an occupational therapist come tomorrow to give an initial evaluation. Praying for success for PT/OT as well, as this is the biggest remaining hurdle. I can tell that Steph's legs are getting stronger, as she scoots and bridges in bed a lot better. She spent ~ 5 hours in the wheelchair today. Still isn't able to stand... we need to use a slide board to get her into the wheelchair. Anytime she has a Dr's appointment it's at least $100 for the van ride (if it's the closest location). So it will be a huge blessing when she's able to get into our personal vehicle.

Praising God for the progress. Still a long way to go.

Slowly but surely

God is good

MORE Good News and more progress today! We finally got a visit from a Physical Therapist today, who did an initial assessment. Today Steph sat up on the edge of the bed BY HERSELF. Then the PT was going to have me help her stand up, like we did yesterday. But then she stopped us and said "Wait! I want to see if she can do it" -- by grabbing onto the handles of the wheelchair. She then stood up "almost" on her own -- I did give her just a minor boost (as she popped a wheelie with the wheelchair). And she was pretty steady standing, just holding onto the wheelchair. Then the PT asked her if she could "march" -- well, that was a little too much; as she tried to step with one foot, the other started to give way, so she had to sit back down. Then the PT asked her to march while sitting (raising one leg at a time). Steph couldn't do this in the rehab facility, and before she tried, she said "I can't do that" -- but then it was, "Oh wait -- I'm doing it!" She did so well! She has really gained a lot of strength lately. And she slid into her wheelchair all by herself (with the slide board). I was so surprised, because we had never even attempted that (I would always help her by lifting / sliding). HALLELUJAH! Praise God for continued progress!
Elwood, I think I can safely say (as others have too) that you and your wife's journey through COVID-19 is amazing and wonderful news that we all look forward to. Keep being Steph's rock and praise to the big guy!

Elwood, I know you’re one of many who’ve gone through this trial, so I don’t mean to minimize their struggle, but somehow your posts here make it all too real for those of us who’ve been relatively untouched physically by this disease.

I can tell reading your posts when you’ve been up and down. When you’ve been elated and distraught. Through it all you just keep powering on for her and the rest of your family.

Really inspiring stuff. You’ve got a lot of folks pulling and praying for you out here.

Last edited:

And TODAY -- I wheeled Steph out to our SUV in the driveway... helped her stand up... then she did a pivot, and slid into the passenger's seat! Without my help, and on the first try!

Then we went for a nice Sunday drive -- on a beautiful sunny day! The first time she's ridden in a passenger vehicle (not an ambulance or a wheelchair van) since October 13! No more having to pay $$$ for transportation!!!

And TODAY -- I wheeled Steph out to our SUV in the driveway... helped her stand up... then she did a pivot, and slid into the passenger's seat! Without my help, and on the first try!

Then we went for a nice Sunday drive -- on a beautiful sunny day! The first time she's ridden in a passenger vehicle (not an ambulance or a wheelchair van) since October 13! No more having to pay $$$ for transportation!!!
God keeps answering the small prayers on the way to complete healing!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back