• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

Steph had had a matted, tangled, "helmet" of hair that developed from having no one to care for it since she left Piedmont Atlanta. Last Thursday, our home care assistant Stacey shampooed her hair and brushed it out (not necessarily in that order -- it was a long process). She was able to get out all the tangles. Unfortunately, most of Steph's thick, glorious hair also came out in the process. Apparently this can happen after being hit so hard by Covid, bedridden for so long, etc.

Today Stacey gave Steph a haircut, which makes it look a lot nicer (though short).

So I know it's a minor thing compared to all she's been through, but we're praying for Steph's hair to grow back.

Also, she still hasn't begun PT, as it's been difficult to find available therapists. We're finally having an occupational therapist come tomorrow to give an initial evaluation. Praying for success for PT/OT as well, as this is the biggest remaining hurdle. I can tell that Steph's legs are getting stronger, as she scoots and bridges in bed a lot better. She spent ~ 5 hours in the wheelchair today. Still isn't able to stand... we need to use a slide board to get her into the wheelchair. Anytime she has a Dr's appointment it's at least $100 for the van ride (if it's the closest location). So it will be a huge blessing when she's able to get into our personal vehicle.

Praising God for the progress. Still a long way to go.
Thanks for the update again. Progress is definitely coming. Things are definitely moving at God’s pace. I pray for continued strength and healing for Steph so that she can be more mobile and be willing to ride on your vehicle instead of the current transportation. Also thankful that her hair has been washed and cut and that it will grow back.

“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” — Philippians 4:19

“He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength…Those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” — Isaiah 40:29,31

She can lift weights--an empty water bottle with pennies in it. Add more pennies for more weight.

Just lifting legs against gravity can help strenghten them.

by the time you find a Home Health Care outfit willing to come in the home to do PT, maybe you won't need them as bad.

Having her home for this beats the $#%&#$ out of having her in a care facility.
Thanks, and agreed she's so much better off at home. She has been doing some basic stuff, but it would be best to have a professional PT giving advice. Good visit with OT today -- for one thing, she basically stated in her expert opinion what we've learned -- that most of the rehab facilities, etc. aren't concerned about the patients' true needs -- they just want the money. They can't understand that if they do what's best for the patient, the money will come. SO much wrong with our health care system...

Thanks, and agreed she's so much better off at home. She has been doing some basic stuff, but it would be best to have a professional PT giving advice. Good visit with OT today -- for one thing, she basically stated in her expert opinion what we've learned -- that most of the rehab facilities, etc. aren't concerned about the patients' true needs -- they just want the money. They can't understand that if they do what's best for the patient, the money will come. SO much wrong with our health care system...
In essence EVK, you just had a good ol doctor visit, and is just part of whats missing today.
Bless you both, be strong in mind and body, but mostly in the Lord

God has blessed me with the experience of parenthood (hang with me here). I'm a single dad with two kids. I thought it was bad enough with Maverick wanting to go out in the middle of the night. These days I have to get up to change a diaper in the middle of the night (and it's not like a baby that you can pick up with one hand and change with the other). Then in the midst of that ordeal, I have to wipe the muddy paws of my other kid...

I don't remember when I had my last full night's sleep (probably some time in December, after a day when Mavi got worn out from playing with his "girlfriend" Minnie and didn't get up during the night). Makes it hard to put in a full day's work during the day. I know, suck it up, right? I know there are so many people who have it tougher.

God has blessed me with the experience of parenthood (hang with me here). I'm a single dad with two kids. I thought it was bad enough with Maverick wanting to go out in the middle of the night. These days I have to get up to change a diaper in the middle of the night (and it's not like a baby that you can pick up with one hand and change with the other). Then in the midst of that ordeal, I have to wipe the muddy paws of my other kid...

I don't remember when I had my last full night's sleep (probably some time in December, after a day when Mavi got worn out from playing with his "girlfriend" Minnie and didn't get up during the night). Makes it hard to put in a full day's work during the day. I know, suck it up, right? I know there are so many people who have it tougher.
Those around you worth their salt gets it, the rest, they need to learn.
The new life the two of you now have has great rewards.
Hang in there EVK, and take a break when you find them

Hang in there, this too should pass. Continued prayers and strength for all. This has been a long journey. God will bless you and make you stronger for it.

I was off the board for a few days and when I came back it's mostly been spent on the M & W Basketball and the Volleyball boards.

I'm just happy to hear things are so much better for Steph, Elwood. Keep the faith, my man. I know it's probably humbling to hear this but, you are an inspiration to all of us. Thank you and God Bless you.

So, on Friday -- Steph had me help her sit up on the edge of the bed. Then I went to do some stuff at the other end of the house -- and then I hear her calling me... so I run back to her. She says, "I tried to stand up!" And then she showed me, trying a second time. She was able to almost stand up, before she had to sit back down on the bed again.

Today, as she was sitting on the side of the bed, she said she wanted to try it again. This time I helped her stand ALL the way up. Then we basically hugged while I helped her stand for maybe just over a minute. She did very well! I was surprised that I really wasn't helping her that much. This is a big step! I think it was one month ago when she stood for the first time, with the help of TWO therapists. Today is exactly 4 months since the last time she stood (and walked) on her own... and today she stood with very little help from me!

So, on Friday -- Steph had me help her sit up on the edge of the bed. Then I went to do some stuff at the other end of the house -- and then I hear her calling me... so I run back to her. She says, "I tried to stand up!" And then she showed me, trying a second time. She was able to almost stand up, before she had to sit back down on the bed again.

Today, as she was sitting on the side of the bed, she said she wanted to try it again. This time I helped her stand ALL the way up. Then we basically hugged while I helped her stand for maybe just over a minute. She did very well! I was surprised that I really wasn't helping her that much. This is a big step! I think it was one month ago when she stood for the first time, with the help of TWO therapists. Today is exactly 4 months since the last time she stood (and walked) on her own... and today she stood with very little help from me!
As you stand with Steph, we continue to stand with you as God continues to answer prayers!

Awesome news! I look forward to reading your updates.

This is very encouraging and symbolic as we have been standing with you throughout this journey. God is good, his mercy lasts forever. Prayers continue for you and Steph.

May the Lord continue to strengthen & fortify you and Steph.

Fantastic Steph. You go girl. :Rockon: :Mfclap:

MORE Good News and more progress today! We finally got a visit from a Physical Therapist today, who did an initial assessment. Today Steph sat up on the edge of the bed BY HERSELF. Then the PT was going to have me help her stand up, like we did yesterday. But then she stopped us and said "Wait! I want to see if she can do it" -- by grabbing onto the handles of the wheelchair. She then stood up "almost" on her own -- I did give her just a minor boost (as she popped a wheelie with the wheelchair). And she was pretty steady standing, just holding onto the wheelchair. Then the PT asked her if she could "march" -- well, that was a little too much; as she tried to step with one foot, the other started to give way, so she had to sit back down. Then the PT asked her to march while sitting (raising one leg at a time). Steph couldn't do this in the rehab facility, and before she tried, she said "I can't do that" -- but then it was, "Oh wait -- I'm doing it!" She did so well! She has really gained a lot of strength lately. And she slid into her wheelchair all by herself (with the slide board). I was so surprised, because we had never even attempted that (I would always help her by lifting / sliding). HALLELUJAH! Praise God for continued progress!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back