• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

Never thought when I signed up for Huskermax that I would get so much more out of it. This is my favorite thread. Really puts the trials and tribulations of Husker football into its proper perspective. This is a powerful and wonderful story for all to learn from. Great great thread!
Thank you sir! I am humbled by your comments.

I just read this today (Psalm 119:74) --

Those who fear You shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in Your Word.

I often wonder how y'all are doing and I give my wife up dates as she has followed your journey through those updates

Lots of prayers, lots of hope, lots of healing and lots of virtual hugs coming your way

Sometimes life is a long haul and when we can not comprehend God has a reason and a path for what we are experiencing through the ups n downs

Your not alone and continue to be an inspiration for those of us that have followed you through this journey

Blessings, peace and love

I often wonder how y'all are doing and I give my wife up dates as she has followed your journey through those updates

Lots of prayers, lots of hope, lots of healing and lots of virtual hugs coming your way

Sometimes life is a long haul and when we can not comprehend God has a reason and a path for what we are experiencing through the ups n downs

Your not alone and continue to be an inspiration for those of us that have followed you through this journey

Blessings, peace and love
Thank you RR. Every time I read a post like this, that says I/we have been an inspiration, I am so humbled. I was looking back to my original post. Thinking back to that time, I was expecting that Steph might have a rough go of it in the hospital for a few days, but I was praying that God would heal her -- and in my mind, that would happen within a week or two, then we would go about our lives. Oh, how our lives have been changed!

People often say, "I wish I had known then what I know now." Well, I'm glad I didn't know then what we would be facing over the next (4+?) months. God has a higher purpose, and I praise Him that He reveals His will and purpose just at the right time (when we're ready for it). We will be (eagerly?) waiting to see what our next steps will be...

Thank you RR. Every time I read a post like this, that says I/we have been an inspiration, I am so humbled. I was looking back to my original post. Thinking back to that time, I was expecting that Steph might have a rough go of it in the hospital for a few days, but I was praying that God would heal her -- and in my mind, that would happen within a week or two, then we would go about our lives. Oh, how our lives have been changed!

People often say, "I wish I had known then what I know now." Well, I'm glad I didn't know then what we would be facing over the next (4+?) months. God has a higher purpose, and I praise Him that He reveals His will and purpose just at the right time (when we're ready for it). We will be (eagerly?) waiting to see what our next steps will be...
Some things are better left with only God knowing the timeline and the path that you'll travel … blessings to you and Steph as you continue this journey.

Awesome following this journey with you. I am encouraged by your faith and total trust in God. It has been an inspiration to many of us. My family and I will continue to pray for you both. I look forward to reading about your updates. God Bless you both!

Today Steph ate at the kitchen table (in her wheelchair) for the first time since coming home! And this evening she made herself a PB&J sandwich -- all big steps in her recovery!

People often say, "I wish I had known then what I know now." Well, I'm glad I didn't know then what we would be facing over the next (4+?) months. God has a higher purpose, and I praise Him that He reveals His will and purpose just at the right time (when we're ready for it). We will be (eagerly?) waiting to see what our next steps will be..
May God bless you and yours, Elwood!

Last edited:
Today Steph ate at the kitchen table (in her wheelchair) for the first time since coming home! And this evening she made herself a PB&J sandwich -- all big steps in her recovery!
Tell her,at some point, shes going to have to 'up her game'.
PB&J is good, but I have a feeling shed like more.

God in His lovingkindness has blessed the two of you

Last edited:

Every time I read a post like this it reminds me of the scene from "Rudy" where Rudy asks the priest if it is because he is not praying hard enough. The Priest response is. "I am sure that is not the problem. We pray in our time. God Answers in his." Our prayers are rarely answered in the manner we think they will. God Bless you and Steph.

Every time I read a post like this it reminds me of the scene from "Rudy" where Rudy asks the priest if it is because he is not praying hard enough. The Priest response is. "I am sure that is not the problem. We pray in our time. God Answers in his." Our prayers are rarely answered in the manner we think they will. God Bless you and Steph.
The old saying used to be, "Whenever we pray, God gives us one of 3 answers: Yes, No, or Maybe Later."

But I had a pastor improve on this a few years ago, when he said God answers our prayers with either one of TWO answers:

"Yes",
or
"I have something better for you."

Really, you could say God only has ONE answer to our prayers: "I will ALWAYS do what's BEST for you!"

Steph had had a matted, tangled, "helmet" of hair that developed from having no one to care for it since she left Piedmont Atlanta. Last Thursday, our home care assistant Stacey shampooed her hair and brushed it out (not necessarily in that order -- it was a long process). She was able to get out all the tangles. Unfortunately, most of Steph's thick, glorious hair also came out in the process. Apparently this can happen after being hit so hard by Covid, bedridden for so long, etc.

Today Stacey gave Steph a haircut, which makes it look a lot nicer (though short).

So I know it's a minor thing compared to all she's been through, but we're praying for Steph's hair to grow back.

Also, she still hasn't begun PT, as it's been difficult to find available therapists. We're finally having an occupational therapist come tomorrow to give an initial evaluation. Praying for success for PT/OT as well, as this is the biggest remaining hurdle. I can tell that Steph's legs are getting stronger, as she scoots and bridges in bed a lot better. She spent ~ 5 hours in the wheelchair today. Still isn't able to stand... we need to use a slide board to get her into the wheelchair. Anytime she has a Dr's appointment it's at least $100 for the van ride (if it's the closest location). So it will be a huge blessing when she's able to get into our personal vehicle.

Praising God for the progress. Still a long way to go.

Steph had had a matted, tangled, "helmet" of hair that developed from having no one to care for it since she left Piedmont Atlanta. Last Thursday, our home care assistant Stacey shampooed her hair and brushed it out (not necessarily in that order -- it was a long process). She was able to get out all the tangles. Unfortunately, most of Steph's thick, glorious hair also came out in the process. Apparently this can happen after being hit so hard by Covid, bedridden for so long, etc.

Today Stacey gave Steph a haircut, which makes it look a lot nicer (though short).

So I know it's a minor thing compared to all she's been through, but we're praying for Steph's hair to grow back.

Also, she still hasn't begun PT, as it's been difficult to find available therapists. We're finally having an occupational therapist come tomorrow to give an initial evaluation. Praying for success for PT/OT as well, as this is the biggest remaining hurdle. I can tell that Steph's legs are getting stronger, as she scoots and bridges in bed a lot better. She spent ~ 5 hours in the wheelchair today. Still isn't able to stand... we need to use a slide board to get her into the wheelchair. Anytime she has a Dr's appointment it's at least $100 for the van ride (if it's the closest location). So it will be a huge blessing when she's able to get into our personal vehicle.

Praising God for the progress. Still a long way to go.
Just pay attention to her transfer early on as she gathers her strength, no setbacks.

I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him.

She can lift weights--an empty water bottle with pennies in it. Add more pennies for more weight.

Just lifting legs against gravity can help strenghten them.

by the time you find a Home Health Care outfit willing to come in the home to do PT, maybe you won't need them as bad.

Having her home for this beats the $#%&#$ out of having her in a care facility.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back