• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

AMA is against medical advice. You wouldn't have to convince anyone of anything, if you sign her out AMA.

However, if you sign out AMA, your insurer will very likely decline to pay for any care.

Thanks. I had learned that term in the last 2 months... but I was thinking "American Medical Ass'n" and "huh?"

Looks like we (hopefully) are in a good place with her going to the acute rehab.

UPDATE: Steph has moved to an Acute Rehab facility 15 minutes from our home! (I didn't want to post this until it actually happened) The bummer part is that it happened on new year's eve, so her first 3-1/2 days will be spent w/o much staff support -- which doesn't help her first impression of the place. But at least she's out of the crooked LTACH. I know God had a hand in getting her to this place as well. Emory LTAC didn't want to approve her going to an Acute Rehab, but since this one (Southern Crescent TBI) is listed as both acute & sub-acute, we got her there without having to fight the Emory admin.

Thanks again for your continued prayers!

Agreed, that's a rule that makes no sense. When Steph was in Piedmont ATL ICU, they had the policy of one visitor per day. But for the most part they were flexible; e.g. when her mom or dad visited, I would be there for morning rounds, then leave before lunch, and mom or dad would come in to visit for a couple hours. I understand Doc's point; you don't want to make the covid situation 1000 x worse by allowing visitation. But I think with a little more effort (in screening) and common sense, there can be a happy medium.
I had my prostrate removed yesterday at Methodist in Omaha They have the same rule. The staff is great .... even tho they come every hour to take vitals and pain meds or anything else you need. You just keep thinking where you were just a few months ago. You will probably be trading stories with her and laughing when she is 100% here in the near future. Keep the faith. You are probably the strongest person on this forum and I applaud you. You are an inspiration to me sir

Last edited:
UPDATE: Steph has moved to an Acute Rehab facility 15 minutes from our home! (I didn't want to post this until it actually happened) The bummer part is that it happened on new year's eve, so her first 3-1/2 days will be spent w/o much staff support -- which doesn't help her first impression of the place. But at least she's out of the crooked LTACH. I know God had a hand in getting her to this place as well. Emory LTAC didn't want to approve her going to an Acute Rehab, but since this one (Southern Crescent TBI) is listed as both acute & sub-acute, we got her there without having to fight the Emory admin.

Thanks be to God! Answered prayers indeed. Praying that she will do well this next step. A happy New Year indeed!

This is a great start of 2021 for Steph and you! And it's only the beginning for what God has planned for you! Praying this weekend goes smoothly! A Blessed New Year to you, Steph, and your family!

I had my prostrate removed yesterday at Methodist in Omaha They have the same rule. The staff is great .... even tho they come every hour to take vitals and pain meds or anything else you need. You just keep thinking where you were just a few months ago. You will probably be trading stories with her and laughing when she is 100% here in the near future. Keep the faith. You are probably the strongest person on this forum and I applaud you. You are an inspiration to me sir

Oooh. Praying for your recovery also!

It will be interesting to have those conversations with her as time proresses. Right now her cognition is 100% there (or so it seems -- and the speech therapist at LTAC said it was also). But she also seemed pretty much there when she entered LTAC; usually 100% aware, but she'd have some moments of confusion. But she now says she doesn't even remember things from her first few days at LTAC (which may be good in a way). I'm sure the brain cells and nerve endings will continue to heal. Her therapy now is like boot camp (her words) -- the toughest thing she's ever done. Which makes sense, since they're asking muscles, which were useless a few weeks ago, to get back to near normal strength. You can tell she's making progress. A couple weeks ago, pulling off a bandage was excruciating pain for her; now her pain tolerance is gradually improving. All part of her recovery.

Steph is asking for prayers now -- due to some "#2" issues / struggles. We can be thankful that this is her big concern now!

She is also having some depression issues, which I understand can be another lingering effect of covid-19. Lying alone in her room and searching the internet for "long-term covid side effects" doesn't help matters any. I texted her a verse that brought me peace while she was unconscious for weeks, Luke 8:50 -- "Do not be afraid; only believe, and she will be made well."

I did go to see her today (3 times). Her room is on a corner of the building, so she can look one way out her window, and the other way out her door and out the back door of the building. So I brought Maverick... He can't really see through her window (I don't think) because there's a row of bushes in front of the window, and neither Steph nor we can get real close to that window. But I took him to the back door -- which was cracked open a bit. There were no staff visible down the hall, so I opened the door and let Maverick stick his head in the door. He started getting excited when he saw his mommy! And then he barked! So I quick had to pull him back outside because that drew the attention of the staff.

So that made up for not being able to see her yesterday!

Prayers your way, as well. :Smile:

Thank you sir. Appreciate it but I think that Alabama husker and steph need it more than me. There’s is closer to life or death.

I agree with how others have responded; and all of us could use some prayers just on general principals. I kNow I could. o_O :nod: :Biggrin:

What a great start to the New Year, Elwood. :Rockon:

Will keep the prayers coming for Steff. :Smile:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back