• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

So, here was the plan for me to deliver some items to Steph on Christmas Day (and hopefully get in to see her). Bought some pizza and cinnamon pull-aparts on Christmas Eve, to “bribe” the security guard, nurses, etc. Her twin sister also prepared popcorn bags and other goodies / gifts for the nurses, techs, etc.

I brought the stuff to the security desk at LTACH. Security guard and temperature-taker-lady were friendly and “understanding” – they took the food and stuff for themselves… but wouldn’t allow me to deliver the stuff for Steph – or even have someone come down to deliver it for her. They thanked me for my generosity (most of the credit goes to her sister) and then it was “sorry, goodbye”.

So I called Steph from the parking lot. She didn’t answer at first but called me back. I said I couldn’t deliver the stuff to her. But she found out her tech Antoinette could go down and pick up the prayer blanket, if I gave it to her. So I stuffed a few items inside the blanket, went back in, and gave it to Antoinette, who then delivered it to Steph.
Then when Antoinette got back to Steph’s room, Steph was asking what happened to all the goodies (that I’d delivered on the first trip); she had Antoinette grab as much as she could, so Steph could sort it as to “who gets it and who doesn’t”.

Well, I didn't get to see Steph, but at least spirits were raised and a few people's moods were lightened...

Oh, and I forgot to post this on Christmas, but since Christmas should be celebrated every day, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you!

So, here was the plan for me to deliver some items to Steph on Christmas Day (and hopefully get in to see her). Bought some pizza and cinnamon pull-aparts on Christmas Eve, to “bribe” the security guard, nurses, etc. Her twin sister also prepared popcorn bags and other goodies / gifts for the nurses, techs, etc.

I brought the stuff to the security desk at LTACH. Security guard and temperature-taker-lady were friendly and “understanding” – they took the food and stuff for themselves… but wouldn’t allow me to deliver the stuff for Steph – or even have someone come down to deliver it for her. They thanked me for my generosity (most of the credit goes to her sister) and then it was “sorry, goodbye”.

So I called Steph from the parking lot. She didn’t answer at first but called me back. I said I couldn’t deliver the stuff to her. But she found out her tech Antoinette could go down and pick up the prayer blanket, if I gave it to her. So I stuffed a few items inside the blanket, went back in, and gave it to Antoinette, who then delivered it to Steph.
Then when Antoinette got back to Steph’s room, Steph was asking what happened to all the goodies (that I’d delivered on the first trip); she had Antoinette grab as much as she could, so Steph could sort it as to “who gets it and who doesn’t”.

Well, I didn't get to see Steph, but at least spirits were raised and a few people's moods were lightened...

Oh, and I forgot to post this on Christmas, but since Christmas should be celebrated every day, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you!

That really sucks, but LTC's and nursing homes are stuck between a rock and a hard place with COvid. Let family in and assume the risk/liability of an outbreak (and subsequent lawsuit), or lock the place down tighter than a prison.

My advice: Take her home. You'll quickly learn what you have to do to care for her, and the uplifting of her spirits would overcome any shortcomings there might be in her care.

NO ONE CARES MORE FOR HER THAN YOU DO.

Addendum: Don't sign her out AMA, though. You'll be personally liable for the bill, if you do that. Try to convince them at your next team meeting that you're fully capable of taking her home. Contend being home "in these trying times" will do more good for her than inpatient therapy.

Last edited:
That really sucks, but LTC's and nursing homes are stuck between a rock and a hard place with COvid. Let family in and assume the risk/liability of an outbreak (and subsequent lawsuit), or lock the place down tighter than a prison.

My advice: Take her home. You'll quickly learn what you have to do to care for her, and the uplifting of her spirits would overcome any shortcomings there might be in her care.

Addendum: Don't sign her out AMA, though. You'll be personally liable for the bill, if you do that. Try to convince them at your next team meeting that you're fully capable of taking her home. Contend being home "in these trying times" will do more good for her than inpatient therapy.
I second this. Find out what services you have available for at home care and you got the other needs.

Thanks for the update.
Continued prayers for healing for your wife and for your spirit as well during what I know has been a very trying time.

Last edited:
It's crazy what they do with visitors. I have a friend who's wife is in the hospital. She is allowed 1 visitor per day, and if that visitor leaves they are not allowed to come back. So my friend goes in each day to see his wife in the morning, then stays there until 7 or 8 at night, because if he stepped out for just a minute, they would not allow him back. I guess I understand the 1 visitor per day, but to now allow them to step out and come back seems a bit much.

Doc, I've been away a bit, so I apologize for not responding sooner. What do you mean by "Don't sign her out AMA, though"?

Just an update, and more detail on Stephanie's current condition. Her twin & I did go in to the LTACH last Monday for home care training -- but we were of the understanding before & after, that it would be a huge load to care for her at home, at this point. Steph is able to feed herself now, with some difficulty. Thankfully she can use her cell phone to call and text (texting dexterity has just come about in the last couple days). She can do heel slides, etc. with her legs. She doesn't have enough core strength to roll in bed, and she needs a Hoyer lift for transfer to chair, etc. Yesterday she sat on the edge of the bed (with very little support) for 12 minutes; this is great progress over what she was previously able to do / tolerate. We would all love to have her home, but home care (with short visits from therapists & nurses) just would not be the best for her progress at this point.

Fortunately, the wheels are turning now to get her into a facility (15 minutes from our home!) that's listed as both acute and sub-acute rehab. While Emory didn't want to approve acute rehab (which is what she needs to get the more intense PT / OT / ST), this place qualifies. Hopefully she will be transferred by Wednesday.

Thank you again for your input, advice, and support.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Edit / Addendum): "Team meeting"? What's that??? (joking, sort of). We've had ONE teleconference with all the disciplines, held almost 3 weeks after she was admitted to LTACH. One of our many frustrations with the place.

And one good thing about the new acute rehab facility: She'll be on the first floor, so Maverick and I can come visit her (outside the window) every day.

Last edited:
Doc, I've been away a bit, so I apologize for not responding sooner. What do you mean by "Don't sign her out AMA, though"?

Just an update, and more detail on Stephanie's current condition. Her twin & I did go in to the LTACH last Monday for home care training -- but we were of the understanding before & after, that it would be a huge load to care for her at home, at this point. Steph is able to feed herself now, with some difficulty. Thankfully she can use her cell phone to call and text (texting dexterity has just come about in the last couple days). She can do heel slides, etc. with her legs. She doesn't have enough core strength to roll in bed, and she needs a Hoyer lift for transfer to chair, etc. Yesterday she sat on the edge of the bed (with very little support) for 12 minutes; this is great progress over what she was previously able to do / tolerate. We would all love to have her home, but home care (with short visits from therapists & nurses) just would not be the best for her progress at this point.

Fortunately, the wheels are turning now to get her into a facility (15 minutes from our home!) that's listed as both acute and sub-acute rehab. While Emory didn't want to approve acute rehab (which is what she needs to get the more intense PT / OT / ST), this place qualifies. Hopefully she will be transferred by Wednesday.

Thank you again for your input, advice, and support.
Lil' All 'N' and I will be praying that Steph gets in to the facility near your home and that the staff there becomes God's hands during her healing process. And we will continue to pray for you, Steph's sister, and your family for God's continued strength and wisdom as you persevere through this with Steph.

It's crazy what they do with visitors. I have a friend who's wife is in the hospital. She is allowed 1 visitor per day, and if that visitor leaves they are not allowed to come back. So my friend goes in each day to see his wife in the morning, then stays there until 7 or 8 at night, because if he stepped out for just a minute, they would not allow him back. I guess I understand the 1 visitor per day, but to now allow them to step out and come back seems a bit much.
Agreed, that's a rule that makes no sense. When Steph was in Piedmont ATL ICU, they had the policy of one visitor per day. But for the most part they were flexible; e.g. when her mom or dad visited, I would be there for morning rounds, then leave before lunch, and mom or dad would come in to visit for a couple hours. I understand Doc's point; you don't want to make the covid situation 1000 x worse by allowing visitation. But I think with a little more effort (in screening) and common sense, there can be a happy medium.

Agreed, that's a rule that makes no sense. When Steph was in Piedmont ATL ICU, they had the policy of one visitor per day. But for the most part they were flexible; e.g. when her mom or dad visited, I would be there for morning rounds, then leave before lunch, and mom or dad would come in to visit for a couple hours. I understand Doc's point; you don't want to make the covid situation 1000 x worse by allowing visitation. But I think with a little more effort (in screening) and common sense, there can be a happy medium.

I don't see a big problem with 1 visitor a day, keep the chances of Covid at a minimum. To me it just made no sense my friend could not leave and then come back on the same day. It's still just one person and the same person you let in a couple hours earlier. It just doesn't make sense to tell a person you can't go outside and walk around for a bit or sit in your car in the parking lot while your wife is napping or in treatment because if you do you can't come back in till tomorrow.

And you've been going through stuff like this for such a long time. It has to take a toll on a person both physically and mentally. Hang in there.

I'm pretty sure AMA is "against medical advice" so you would need to convince them you had the capability to provide the necessary care at home.

AMA is against medical advice. You wouldn't have to convince anyone of anything, if you sign her out AMA.

However, if you sign out AMA, your insurer will very likely decline to pay for any care.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back