• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

More progress today! When I got to Steph’s room (0915), she was doing her SBT (Spontaneous Breathing Trial) already. I asked her nurse, but she didn’t know exactly what time the Respiratory Tech had started it – I figured maybe 25~30 minutes earlier, based on the timer display. Turns out she was breathing on her own for 3 hours! With FiO2 (supply O2 %) of 35%!
Steph was more alert today (continual progress!), and was pretty much awake all day (though I was hoping she could get some rest). With the breathing test in the early morning, then 3 hours of dialysis as soon as she got done with SBT, I can see how it would be exhausting for her. Then she looked like she was uncomfortable; Nurse Charlotte & I kept asking her if she was feeling pain, and if she wanted something for pain, but she kept shaking her head no. Finally in the later afternoon, when one of her drips started to alarm, the charge nurse came in and asked her, and she said she wanted something for pain. So Charlotte gave her (something / deleted) for pain.
I read some scriptures to Steph (my standard daily ones), read the devotion that her Dad sent, played songs, etc. And kept saying “I love you!”, to which she would mouth the words “I love you” to me. It really was a more exhausting day for me, because I had to be “on” for her – and trying to understand what she was trying to communicate. Steph had a bit of a fever this evening – often her temperature will go up a bit after a long day, and I’m sure with her being more active today, that played a part as well. So I hope they can get her temperature down.
All in all a great day! (Except it wore me out)

Last edited:

More progress today! When I got to Steph’s room (0915), she was doing her SBT (Spontaneous Breathing Trial) already. I asked her nurse, but she didn’t know exactly what time the Respiratory Tech had started it – I figured maybe 25~30 minutes earlier, based on the timer display. Turns out she was breathing on her own for 3 hours! With FiO2 (supply O2 %) of 35%!
Steph was more alert today (continual progress!), and was pretty much awake all day (though I was hoping she could get some rest). With the breathing test in the early morning, then 3 hours of dialysis as soon as she got done with SBT, I can see how it would be exhausting for her. Then she looked like she was uncomfortable; Nurse Charlotte & I kept asking her if she was feeling pain, and if she wanted something for pain, but she kept shaking her head no. Finally in the later afternoon, when one of her drips started to alarm, the charge nurse came in and asked her, and she said she wanted something for pain. So Charlotte gave her (something / deleted) for pain.
I read some scriptures to Steph (my standard daily ones), read the devotion that her Dad sent, played songs, etc. And kept saying “I love you!”, to which she would mouth the words “I love you” to me. It really was a more exhausting day for me, because I had to be “on” for her – and trying to understand what she was trying to communicate. Steph had a bit of a fever this evening – often her temperature will go up a bit after a long day, and I’m sure with her being more active today, that played a part as well. So I hope they can get her temperature down.
All in all a great day! (Except it wore me out)
This is the only reason I open the Max Football Forum. Nothing else matters, really. First thread I go to. Continue to be strong. We are with you. Hope you and steph can have a good Thanksgiving week. Prayers, always!

Elwood, you need to write a book about your journey through this. Faith and Covid-19! It would be an awesome Christian testimony about dealing with challenging issues! Blessings. Tell Steph her HuskerMax family greet her and are in constant prayer on her behalf!
Now that's a challenge!

One thing I've learned (I "knew" it before, but it only hit home through all this) is that in His strength we can do it all! This has become crystal clear to me! God has been working miracles in both of us, and I have said that I feel God's power, peace, and protection in EVERYTHING - from sitting beside Steph to driving in Atlanta traffic to everything big or small! But the instant I think "Wow, I can do anything!" something happens that brings me back to earth -- it's not ME, but the power of CHRIST in me!

Last edited:

Steph's sister visited her today, while I stayed home and tried to catch up on some rest. I did Zoom call with Steph & her sister this afternoon. Her sister experienced today what I did yesterday: the frustration of not knowing how to help Steph, while she was struggling to communicate. So this is a tough time. A few days ago, I could talk to her, pray with her, play music, etc., but she wasn't consciously "with us", so I could go relax in the chair when I needed a break. Now it's very exhausting and frustrating, because it looks like she's struggling (even though she usually shakes her head "no" when we ask if she's in pain), and I don't know what she's trying to say except "ya big dummy, why can't you understand me?!"

Now that's a challenge!

One thing I've learned (I "knew" it before, but it only hit home through all this) is that in His strength we can do it all! This has become crystal clear to me! God has been working miracles in both of us, and I have said that I feel God's power, peace, and protection in EVERYTHING - from sitting beside Steph to driving in Atlanta traffic to everything big or small! But the instant I think "Wow, I can do anything!" something happens that brings me back to earth -- it's not ME, but the power of CHRIST in me!
Amen!

Makes football ups and downs seem small and insignificant right? Glad Steph is progressing now. Still prying for her and also Pasadena.

Amen … I used to 'live and die' by what the Huskers did on Saturday. Reading and following this thread has been my one gratification these past few weeks on this board to read a man of great faith post, the power of prayer and to witness from afar the opportunity for His healing and a miracle.

Elwood, you need to write a book about your journey through this. Faith and Covid-19! It would be an awesome Christian testimony about dealing with challenging issues! Blessings. Tell Steph her HuskerMax family greet her and are in constant prayer on her behalf!

@Elwood von Kiowa: You could probably start with this thread and the many of these prayer warriors' contributions and response to your faithful witness to all.

So glad to hear and read about Steph's continued improvement. Blessings to you both.

Thankfully, Steph was more relaxed today, and seemed more comfortable. So it was an easier day on both of us. She got her first visit from PT today, just doing an initial assessment. It will be a long haul… but she continues on the path! All glory to Jesus!
Lil' All 'N' and I were happy to read this earlier. The Lord will continue to give you the strength you need, the healing touch that Steph needs, and the medical personnel to guide you along this journey. He loves you both and continues to hold you up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back