• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

I passed this update on to my prayer warrior friend. Here is her text back to me...

"She's a God story! He's writing it and it's gonna turn out awesome! I am so grateful for these updates it makes me want to pray and trust him even more just to see what he's got planned for Steph's life!"

We tend to pray to God for what we "want". But often times, God has infinitely more in mind for us than what we can even fathom.

Like back in the day, when I was single and "lookin' for love in all the wrong places" -- and I prayed for a girl who would keep my life exciting...

We tend to pray to God for what we "want". But often times, God has infinitely more in mind for us than what we can even fathom.

Like back in the day, when I was single and "lookin' for love in all the wrong places" -- and I prayed for a girl who would keep my life exciting...
I am excited to follow this story. Watching God work in both of your lives. You have been a great example for me to follow in my own life. I look forward to the updates. It provides more specifics in what to pray for. My prayers continue for you both. The long term care facility will be an adjustment but it is another stepping stone in her recovery. Be encouraged and stay strong. You have galvanized your brothers and sisters on this board who are strongly behind you both. Where two or three are gathered in his name, God is in the midst. Keep the faith, God is doing great things on both of your lives.

As you know I often post Bible readings when something you say triggers my brain to a specific reading. Today you triggered IS:55
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.9"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Such great news for you and Steph.

Well... Today was rough!

I guess we got spoiled by the attentive care Steph got in the ICU at Piedmont ATL. She's definitely not getting that at the LTAC. When I was in the "Duo" video call with her this afternoon, she was as anxious and distraught as I've ever seen her -- and the worst part was, the nurse didn't seem to be empowered to treat it (had to get Dr. authorization...). So frustrating that no one seemed to want to do their job... whoever I called either passed me off to someone else, put me on hold, or just let the phone set. And I'm basically helpless since I can't be there but 2 days a week.

Finally I went up the chain of command and began to get some action. I was able to make my case... and will be participating more in the plan of treatment.

Please pray for peace and comfort for Steph. The "peace that surpasses all understanding" -- I've been praying this for her.

Well... Today was rough!

I guess we got spoiled by the attentive care Steph got in the ICU at Piedmont ATL. She's definitely not getting that at the LTAC. When I was in the "Duo" video call with her this afternoon, she was as anxious and distraught as I've ever seen her -- and the worst part was, the nurse didn't seem to be empowered to treat it (had to get Dr. authorization...). So frustrating that no one seemed to want to do their job... whoever I called either passed me off to someone else, put me on hold, or just let the phone set. And I'm basically helpless since I can't be there but 2 days a week.

Finally I went up the chain of command and began to get some action. I was able to make my case... and will be participating more in the plan of treatment.

Please pray for peace and comfort for Steph. The "peace that surpasses all understanding" -- I've been praying this for her.
Praying for peace, comfort, and continued healing for Steph, for patience and favor for you, and for understanding and attentiveness for the LTAC staff.

Well... Today was rough!

Hopefully it won’t take too long to get all the ins and outs of LTAC figured out so your wife gets the best care possible. Hopefully they also increase visitation more than just twice a week at some point soon. Stay strong, keeping praying, and all glory to God for his light and wisdom.

She has been through alot.
Any changes will be tough, pay close attention to her, you know her limits better than anyone, especially going through this with her.
I'm sure the hospital staff is doing their best, but on both sides, you and them, will both catch things to help Steph along.
Be vigilant and strong for her, my prayers are with you both.

Elwood, you have to be your Stef’s advocate. Don’t let anyone blow you off. I have a handicapped son and I had to fight tooth and nail his entire education process and I won! He got what he needed! Keep fighting and we all will keep praying!
Thank you for your support. I continue to fight. Hopefully have an inroad with the speech therapist, who said her therapy/recovery "could go one of two ways" based on her emotional support. She (ST) is going to raise the case that an exception needs to be made for me / Steph, to get me in more often.

Thank you for your support. I continue to fight. Hopefully have an inroad with the speech therapist, who said her therapy/recovery "could go one of two ways" based on her emotional support. She (ST) is going to raise the case that an exception needs to be made for me / Steph, to get me in more often.

I will echo @huskernole. You are her best advocate and you will have to fight for her. I've been through a similar situation twice. Once with my wife and once with my dad. Both received excellent care while in the ICU but once they were moved their care varied significantly depending on who was on duty that day or night. I was fortunate enough to be able to be at their bedside throughout their stays so I was able to see what was happening first hand. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you both since you are not there. Do your best to establish relationships with everyone you can on staff and make them your ally. Sometimes it takes that to make them care for your family as people and not just patients.

Well... Today was rough!

You did the right thing. Advocate for Steph and your family. Do not take "no" for an answer. Remember, we are with you, brother.

EVK--SORRY for the news! As I mentioned to you last week, PLEASE SPEAK TO LTAC ADMIN. and IF any family members or friends can make those "surprise visits," I would strongly encourage that. BLESSINGS AND PRAYERS, ALWAYS! You are, "fighting the good fight," along with Steph, many caregivers and, all of your HUSKERMAX FAMILY.

My friend, I went through a life-threatening situation where my heart stopped twice before being brought back.

My experience: The ICU folks are superb...and staffed properly with great folks who are highly skilled.

But once out of ICU and into a ward the situation changes and it becomes necessary for you or a loved one to step in and firmly “guide”....

And I don’t think it’s because the people don’t care or are less skilled. I think they are not as well staffed, probably extremely overworked and especially during this pandemic, I will bet they are exhausted both physically and emotionally.

My recommendation is that absolutely as much as possible, you or another trusted family member be with her at all times....especially night time. If that means sleeping bag in a chair...so be it. Of course you have to be careful of your own health and the pandemic adds more complications but she needs an ADVOCATE who can be firm and get assistance when needed.

it’s not that these folks don’t want to help....they are just get overwhelmed in the wards. ICUs get the priority.

Worst night I have ever had in my life...to include combat.....was lying in a recovery ward.....knowing things were going wrong, in horrible pain and I needed HELP. Unable to yell because i literaly could only whisper because of the tube that had been down my throat in ICU....pushing the call button 9 million times only to be finaly checked on 6 hours later.

They had had a staffing mixup in the night and an additional individual had gotten ill. Call button was malfunctioning. Didn’t matter...I had not had someone check on me for 6 hours and it should never have been like that. NEVER.

My wife or one of my sons stayed every night from then on till my release. It was hard on them but necessary. One of my sons finagled a special recliner to be put in the room and it went better after that. They also tried to tell us no visitors after certain hours but my wife went ballistic and they relented. Especially after the way they had dropped the ball on me.

I have no idea what the hospital rules are during this pandemic but the bottom line is is you cannot leave her in a recovery ward alone. Possibly you could set up some kind of computer connection where she could raise you remotely? I just don’t know but I do know that having someone right there in the room that can get out of a chair and move around and raise hell for her will be best.

Last edited:

I will echo @huskernole. You are her best advocate and you will have to fight for her. I've been through a similar situation twice. Once with my wife and once with my dad. Both received excellent care while in the ICU but once they were moved their care varied significantly depending on who was on duty that day or night. I was fortunate enough to be able to be at their bedside throughout their stays so I was able to see what was happening first hand. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you both since you are not there. Do your best to establish relationships with everyone you can on staff and make them your ally. Sometimes it takes that to make them care for your family as people and not just patients.
Thank you for that, RedStones. I appreciate all the support I'm getting from everyone on here. Makes me feel like we're all a big family, in this together.

My Sis-in-law (Steph's twin) is more of a natural "bulldog" than I am -- so she's being the bad cop in this (as a rule) while I try to stay on people's good side. I don't want to make the providers so upset with me that they're not helpful. On the other hand, I'm learning that I need to refuse to take "no" for an answer, because too many of the staff at the LTAC will do everything they can to slack off and make excuses why not to help. And the attending physician didn't even know that Steph was just transferred from Piedmont ATL -- she thought she came from the previous hospital.

It's like I have to fight every minute or she won't get the care she needs. Ugh!!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back