• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Red v. White Scrimmage

As always, appreciate the play by play from @carrolltonsker.

And it is pretty cool to see a shout out to Husker fan from both the chancellor and the new football OC on Twitter (see previous post).

So Red wins 2 games to 1 in a match deliberately cut short by Coach Cook because of time limitations (The NET film on Nebraska Volleyball and also Football Fan Day). I listened to the match on radio but didn't see it. So my comments on the scrimmage are based largely on Lauren Cook's commentary during the match and Coach Cook's post match comments.

I did not hear what Lexi Sun's injury was, only that it was day to day. Hopefully she is ready for Florida. It was enjoyable to have the Rolfzen Twins back home at Devaney playing for White.

The incoming recruiting class, particularly the scholarship players, are going to see plenty of action. Three of them (Hames, Miller, and Schwarzenbach) suited up for the Red team, and Davis was White's best attacker for the first two games. Hames is your setter and there will be growing pains as she adjusts to the better athletes in college (tempo and set height), but Coach Cook was very complimentary of her decision making. Schwarzenbach is the back up to Stivrins and the announcers where flattering of her play. I don't know if Capri Davis earned herself more playing time with her performance, but she was a bright spot for White on offense in the first two games.

Of the returning players, no one really stood out on the Red team. The kills were distributed evenly. Sami Slaughter had some good kills and appears to have the slot behind Jazz Sweet. Anezka Szabo, who played on the White team, is a perplexing situation. She is the best on the team at setting the block, and blocking. However her offensive skills, at least what was "displayed" at the scrimmage, make her somewhat a liability when on the attack. Szabo is your third Middle Blocker, and is also in contention to back up Sweet. And Hayley Densberger (also playing for White) earned almost effusive praise from Coach Cook in the post match comments. She was hustling and diving for balls a' la Syd Townsend.

A returning newcomer (oxymoron?) that had a positive influence on her team was Brooke Smith. The White team struggled on offense for the first two games, but when Smith came in for Kurkova in the 3rd game AS the setter, the Rolfzens and the student manager playing for White (Jake Roberts whose actually pretty good), came around offensively-----enough to take the 3rd Set.

A lot of errors in the match, which is to be expected. Coach Cook was relatively unconcerned about the service errors. He put that item to the fact that the girls were too hyped up, playing in front of a big crowd, national championship banner ceremony, etc. A majority of the attack errors could probably placed on the setter on both sides (i.e. set heights too low, giving attackers less of a chance to read the block and forcing them to make a quick swing). Coach Cook seemed confident that Nicklin Hames would adjust and pointed out in the post game that the team had fewer practices than normal prior to the scrimmage by the way the schedule set up (first game being August 25th).

There will be some adjustment and familiarization required, particularly at setter, but I don't think that will take long. Nebraska may lose one or two early, but should be in full swing come B1G conference play.

This is the article from Huskers.com which also has the box score

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211768578

Last edited:

As always, appreciate the play by play from @carrolltonsker.

And it is pretty cool to see a shout out to Husker fan from both the chancellor and the new football OC on Twitter (see previous post).

So Red wins 2 games to 1 in a match deliberately cut short by Coach Cook because of time limitations (The NET film on Nebraska Volleyball and also Football Fan Day). I listened to the match on radio but didn't see it. So my comments on the scrimmage are based largely on Lauren Cook's commentary during the match and Coach Cook's post match comments.

I did not hear what Lexi Sun's injury was, only that it was day to day. Hopefully she is ready for Florida. It was enjoyable to have the Rolfzen Twins back home at Devaney playing for White.

The incoming recruiting class, particularly the scholarship players, are going to see plenty of action. Three of them (Hames, Miller, and Schwarzenbach) suited up for the Red team, and Davis was White's best attacker for the first two games. Hames is your setter and there will be growing pains as she adjusts to the better athletes in college (tempo and set height), but Coach Cook was very complimentary of her decision making. Schwarzenbach is the back up to Stivrins and the announcers where flattering of her play. I don't know if Capri Davis earned herself more playing time with her performance, but she was a bright spot for White on offense in the first two games.

Of the returning players, no one really stood out on the Red team. The kills were distributed evenly. Sami Slaughter had some good kills and appears to have the slot behind Jazz Sweet. Anezka Szabo, who played on the White team, is a perplexing situation. She is the best on the team at setting the block, and blocking. However her offensive skills, at least what was "displayed" at the scrimmage, make her somewhat a liability when on the attack. Szabo is your third Middle Blocker, and is also in contention to back up Sweet. And Hayley Densberger (also playing for White) earned almost effusive praise from Coach Cook in the post match comments. She was hustling and diving for balls a' la Syd Townsend.

A returning newcomer (oxymoron?) that had a positive influence on her team was Brooke Smith. The White team struggled on offense for the first two games, but when Smith came in for Kurkova in the 3rd game AS the setter, the Rolfzens and the student manager playing for White (Jake Roberts whose actually pretty good), came around offensively-----enough to take the 3rd Set.

A lot of errors in the match, which is to be expected. Coach Cook was relatively unconcerned about the service errors. He put that item to the fact that the girls were too hyped up, playing in front of a big crowd, national championship banner ceremony, etc. A majority of the attack errors could probably placed on the setter on both sides (i.e. set heights too low, giving attackers less of a chance to read the block and forcing them to make a quick swing). Coach Cook seemed confident that Nicklin Hames would adjust and pointed out in the post game that the team had fewer practices than normal prior to the scrimmage by the way the schedule set up (first game being August 25th).

There will be some adjustment and familiarization required, particularly at setter, but I don't think that will take long. Nebraska may lose one or two early, but should be in full swing come B1G conference play.

This is the article from Huskers.com which also has the box score

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211768578
Very nice analysis. I didn't post a lot of comments, but I was concerned with the service errors and the attack errors. Yes, I am sure that we will have to be patient with the setter position, and I am a little encouraged that Coach Cook is not overly concerned with the high number of service errors. I am looking forward to the start of the season next week.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back