• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting Splash.

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
I know I’ll get some kickback on this but I think Rhule brings a much larger recruiting splash nation wide than just in Nebraska. And much more than a MJ hire would bring. For everyone who thinks recruits will de-commit if Mj isn’t hired I’d disagree.

Rhule is a much bigger splash with his professional resume and a recognized name. Yes we went that route with Callahan…..but let’s not forget, the Callahan class was the only time we ever had a number 1 ranked recruiting class by any service.

All we need is someone who can recruit like Callahan, coach defense like Bo, run the offense like Osborne, smile at the boosters like Riley, down a fifth like The Bobfather, and plead the fifth like Frosty.

And chase cheerleaders like Frank & Carl.

Last edited:
I know I’ll get some kickback on this but I think Rhule brings a much larger recruiting splash nation wide than just in Nebraska. And much more than a MJ hire would bring. For everyone who thinks recruits will de-commit if Mj isn’t hired I’d disagree.

Rhule is a much bigger splash with his professional resume and a recognized name. Yes we went that route with Callahan…..but let’s not forget, the Callahan class was the only time we ever had a number 1 ranked recruiting class by any service.
Not about not getting the job. If Mickey doesn’t stay on staff, we lose a few of his recruits and some players off the roster. I think that is just a given.

Last edited:

Mickey’s recruiting is like the which came first the chicken or the egg dilemma. Chase, Jefferson, Marshall, and Palmer were all local recruits. Also Mickey was essentially the assistant wide receivers coach under passing game coordinator Joe Brady. Were they there b/c of him or is he a good recruiter b/c he reaped the awards of being there. Do we get Thomas Fidone if he wasn’t a local kid and a fan growing up. Was it Beckton’s recruiting savvy that got him here?

Not about not getting the job. If Mickey doesn’t stay on staff, we lose a few of his recruits and some players off the roster. I think that is just a given.
Agree.

I believe Malachi Coleman will be the " canary in the coal mine" for me.

Malachi appears to have a great relationship with Coach Joseph and may want Coach Joseph's position specific training.

Mickey’s recruiting is like the which came first the chicken or the egg dilemma. Chase, Jefferson, Marshall, and Palmer were all local recruits. Also Mickey was essentially the assistant wide receivers coach under passing game coordinator Joe Brady. Were they there b/c of him or is he a good recruiter b/c he reaped the awards of being there. Do we get Thomas Fidone if he wasn’t a local kid and a fan growing up. Was it Beckton’s recruiting savvy that got him here?
You are right. It could be either but it’s hard not to say Mj wasn’t influential in all of it to some degree. He’s got strong 1-1 skills kids trust. But you still have to have the program facilities, resources and hope.

Then so be it. More room for recruits that want to be at NEB
Agree.

I believe Malachi Coleman will be the " canary in the coal mine" for me.

Malachi appears to have a great relationship with Coach Joseph and may want Coach Joseph's position specific training.
Coleman so far says he’s committed, so fingers crossed. His other recruits are more vulnerable I think.

Somebody doesn’t fathom the challenge of keeping the roster from fragmenting and a class from imploding to this point, and how quick kids will bail. Very underestimated achievement.

Coleman so far says he’s committed, so fingers crossed. His other recruits are more vulnerable I think.

Somebody doesn’t fathom the challenge of keeping the roster from fragmenting and a class from imploding to this point, and how quick kids will bail. Very underestimated achievement.
And some don’t understand we want players who are committed to playing at Nebraska. If Rhule was to bring on a different wide receivers coach that is better than Mickey that would be good for those recruits right?

I'm interested in the Nebraska recruiting, specifically Omaha.

I had moved to Florida in 1995, from Omaha.
At that time, every local high school football player wanted to be a Cornhusker.

Moved back to Omaha in 2019 to be closer to family.
Local athletes are no longer a given to sign here.

Coleman hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential.

Oh well, hope he and Mickey stick.

You are right. It could be either but it’s hard not to say Mj wasn’t influential in all of it to some degree. He’s got strong 1-1 skills kids trust. But you still have to have the program facilities, resources and hope.
He was definitely influential. I don’t want to diminish his recruiting abilities, just provide some context. I hope he stays and I believe he will. In my opinion his biggest asset is his ability to be blunt with kids w/o being toxic. Lots of these kids lack father figures in their lives. He’s tough, but he truly loves them. That’s transparent to them.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back