• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting Splash.

Didn’t say that. Wondering why you think they would leave if Mickey does.
Emotions and ease of/meddling of transfer portal. As soon as they got back to Lincoln, you know the noise began. There’s been one guy in their ear for 13 weeks drowning out the noise.

Reading about Rhule, he may be able to keep the roster largely intact. His job in that respect is easier with Mick, and I think he’ll lean that way. I hope so on all of both counts.

Show me another WR coach who is better at recruiting, better at recruiting to Nebraska specifically, and starts Rhule off on the right foot with the entire fanbase. Then I’ll believe there’s somebody better for him to hire.

There’s a lot of people that are casual fans that are really ticked off today because they 1) just saw what happened and are solidly in Mickey’s corner, 2) don’t have any clue who Matt Rhule is except that they read that he has a .500 record + just got fired from the NfL and 3) don’t understand that we do need someone who has truly been there through the whole process of rebuilding. Mickey was the favorite for most casual fans, a lot of more knowledgeable fans including myself and others on this board and that number only got bigger yesterday. Ultimately, sentimentality cannot win over the dire situation we are in, and I understand that. I think this is a clear home run.

I expect Rhule to win the press conference and sway a lot of the people who are upset today. I don’t expect mass defections or recruiting class splintering, largely because of the job done the past 3 months. Incredible job.

Last edited:
The run down from the opposite hash around the 1:50 mark was niiiice. Opponents were getting to the perimeter easily until Heinrich got injured and Haussmann got up to speed. It was so frustrating watching our guys have the angle and not be able to get there. Haussmann will be playing on Sundays.
He still has a rookie body too. S&C is going to make him a thumper.

Emotions and ease of/meddling of transfer portal. As soon as they got back to Lincoln, you know the noise began. There’s been one guy in their ear for 13 weeks drowning out the noise.

Reading about Rhule, he may be able to keep the roster largely intact. His job in that respect is easier with Mick, and I think he’ll lean that way. I hope so on all of both counts.

Show me another WR coach who is better at recruiting, better at recruiting to Nebraska specifically, and starts Rhule off on the right foot with the entire fanbase. There’s a lot of people that are casual fans that are really ticked off because they 1) just saw what happened and are solidly in Mickey’s corner, 2) don’t have any clue who Matt Rhule is except that he has a .500 record + just got fired from the NfL and 3) don’t understand that we do need someone who has truly been there through the whole process of rebuilding. Mickey was the favorite for most casual fans, a lot of more knowledgeable fans including myself and others on this board and that number only got bigger yesterday.
In my opinion Rhule sees his value and will embrace it. He hired three revered high school coaches in Texas to his Baylor staff. He understands the value of local buy in and appreciation.

Last edited:
In my opinion Rhule sees his value and will embrace it. He hired three revered high school coaches in Texas to his Baylor staff. He understands the value of local buy in and appreciation.
I agree. Absolutely love this hire and 2 weeks ago, I was basically clueless about Rhule. Just didnt seem to me like a lot of great candidates…very good ones…maybe not great. He’s definitely in the upper tier of potential candidates this year.

Hausmann is a nice study on development during the season. Obviously he’s physically talented, but he was lost early in the year. Ruud deserves a little credit here, I think. Maybe Busch simplified the defense and put him in a better position to be successful later in the year as well.

Last edited:
Show me another WR coach who is better at recruiting, better at recruiting to Nebraska specifically, and starts Rhule off on the right foot with the entire fanbase. Then I’ll believe there’s somebody better for him to hire.
I’ll support whoever Matt puts in that role. If it is someone other than MJ than that will be my example of someone better.

As for your statement that Mickey was the favorite for most casual fans…..is that the same fans who wanted to keep SF after year 4?

I’ll support whoever Matt puts in that role. If it is someone other than MJ than that will be my example of someone better.

As for your statement that Mickey was the favorite for most casual fans…..is that the same fans who wanted to keep SF after year 4?
I’ll never overestimate the football IQ of the casual fan or a fanbase in general. A lot of passionate and/or knowledgable fans also succomb to flawed thinking, recency bias, agendas and the echo chamber of the idiots they are sitting in the bar or coffee shop with. We’ve seen it all the way back to ‘78 at least.

Almost everybody thought Pedey and Frost were slam dunks at the time, (guilty) A large % wanted Solich fired. Many thought Mike Riley was actually a football coach. what if Rhule hires Joe Dailey? To some fans he‘s still an idiot/wimp for running out of bounds on 4th down against Southern Miss and blamed for Callahan’s disastrous 2004 season. I’m sure I’m guilty of more myself.

We collectively got a lot dumber over 20 years of futility and reached a base level of frantic confusion. Black is white. Night is day, etc.. this has been a crushing decade for a proud group of fans and one where we havent seen much fundamentally sound football.

It seems to me Rhule checks the boxes of evaluation, relationship building, development, enthusiasm, awareness of the situation, and physical fundamentally sound football that we desperately need to get back to. I’m 100% on this hire and who he brings here. I think it’ll all work out and we’ll finally get this thing going in the right direction.

I’ll never overestimate the football IQ of the casual fan or a fanbase in general. A lot of passionate and/or knowledgable fans also succomb to flawed thinking, recency bias, agendas and the echo chamber of the idiots they are sitting in the bar or coffee shop with. We’ve seen it all the way back to ‘78 at least.

Almost everybody thought Pedey and Frost were slam dunks at the time, (guilty) A large % wanted Solich fired. Many thought Mike Riley was actually a football coach. what if Rhule hires Joe Dailey? To some fans he‘s still an idiot/wimp for running out of bounds on 4th down against Southern Miss and blamed for Callahan’s disastrous 2004 season. I’m sure I’m guilty of more myself.

We collectively got a lot dumber over 20 years of futility and reached a base level of frantic confusion. Black is white. Night is day, etc.. this has been a crushing decade for a proud group of fans and one where we havent seen much fundamentally sound football.

It seems to me Rhule checks the boxes of evaluation, relationship building, development, enthusiasm, awareness of the situation, and physical fundamentally sound football that we desperately need to get back to. I’m 100% on this hire and who he brings here. I think it’ll all work out and we’ll finally get this thing going in the right direction.
I agree. That’s why I’m gonna trust the Rhule decision without automatically believing Mickey is the best or (almost) only option.

Last edited:
The run down from the opposite hash around the 1:50 mark was niiiice. Opponents were getting to the perimeter easily until Heinrich got injured and Haussmann got up to speed. It was so frustrating watching our guys have the angle and not be able to get there. Haussmann will be playing on Sundays.
Hausmann is the best looking linebacker talent since Lavonte imo

I was watching the pod cast from Callahan and Sipple and they mentioned that a potential problem associated with hiring coach Joseph was if the team gets frustrated and starts to splinter preferring the way they were treated earlier, it could cause dissention

Hausmann is a nice study on development during the season. Obviously he’s physically talented, but he was lost early in the year. Ruud deserves a little credit here, I think. Maybe Busch simplified the defense and put him in a better position to be successful later in the year as well.
Definitely letting him play. He's sometimes slightly out of position, but closes real well and tackles his target.
He starts making small adjustments and adds ten or so pounds, we've got a good one.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back