• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting Sentiment

BLyons11

Recruit
5 Year Member
We obviously know that the OSU, Penn State, Michigan’s of the world are doing both well in recruiting rankings and transfer portal needs. How does it feel like we’re doing compared to the mid-level BIG 10 teams at the moment?

I would imagine the overall sentiment is that player retention, recruiting and securing transfer portal talent is looking much better at Nebraska than the Wisky, Iowas and Minnesotas of the world but what do you guys think?

We obviously know that the OSU, Penn State, Michigan’s of the world are doing both well in recruiting rankings and transfer portal needs. How does it feel like we’re doing compared to the mid-level BIG 10 teams at the moment?

I would imagine the overall sentiment is that player retention, recruiting and securing transfer portal talent is looking much better at Nebraska than the Wisky, Iowas and Minnesotas of the world but what do you guys think?
We just landed a 5 star qb and have a lot of positive momentum coming off another losing season. More momentum than Iowa who won the west and then got boatraced in the conference championship game and bowl game. Compared to Iowa they have the better past decade, but I 100% believe we will have the better next decade. We have adults in charge finally.

We just landed a 5 star qb and have a lot of positive momentum coming off another losing season. More momentum than Iowa who won the west and then got boatraced in the conference championship game and bowl game. Compared to Iowa they have the better past decade, but I 100% believe we will have the better next decade. We have adults in charge finally.
Yes. We are charging into our usual position of leading the mid-level Big 10 teams in the off-season.

I kid, I kid…….

This time it feels more real. Raiola seems more legit than any other QB we’ve recruited since TF. We are working towards getting quality receivers and a running back to help him. I am more optimistic. And yes, adults are in charge of athletics administration and the football program.

Last edited:
Even before landing Raiola I felt we were recuiting well enough that along with clearly improved coaching we would finally start winning enough to match our long term recruiting trend, i.e., 8-9 wins at least (and competitive to win the old West) as a FLOOR.

I also wouldn't have been surprised to be a 9-10 win team in a couple of years with that level of talent, even with the dropping of divisions and addition of 4 very good teams, which should mean tougher schedules on average.

Our problem for quite a few years has been our coaching was always a couple of wins a year (or more) worse than our recruiting. Rhule and Co may not be as good as Saban's machine but they look a lot better to me than at least their two prior predecessors.

I wouldn't have been surprised if in a couple of years we weren't suddenly wondering where all this talent came from.

Now adding Raiola is obviously a potential game changer. Fully capitalizing on it won't be automatic, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a year our class isn't in the high teens by star average and the low teens by the year after.

With a good enough coach that talented a team can actually play with anyone. We may have one.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back