• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting Rank Vs End of season rank 2004-2018

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member
[UPDATED]
So I did a comparison of what our recruiting ranking was to what we were ranked at the end of the season. I used Husker 247 recruiting ranking and compared them to our Sagarin ranking at the end of the season. Why? Because there are some studies floating around that state most teams will play [and be ranked] to the level of their national recruiting rank. We haven't done that since Pelini was coach.

Year /Recruiting Nat'l rank / End of season rank /[post bowl] Record
2019............................18................................................63 [20 Nov]...........................4-6
2018...........................23.................................................54..............................................4-8.....Frost Hired - 11 four star players leave the team!
2017............................23...............................................75...............................................4-8....Riley Fired
2016............................26................................................45.............................................9-4
2015............................30................................................42.............................................6-7....Riley Hired

Obviously with our coaching change and HCSF in the buildup phase of his program, Nebraska hasn't matched our recruiting rank as it could. But it does show we are not meeting expectations. We only exceeded are Natl recruiting rank four times in 15 yeats: 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014, all under Pelini. But I think we have to take into consideration the previous recruiting class ranks before these years and if the program was established. IMO, only Pelini had a chance to establish his program and his players and he had Callahan's recruits including the #5 ranked recruiting class in 2005.

Below is what we did before 2015;

Year /Recruiting Nat'l rank / End of season rank [post bowl] / Record
2014............................35.............................................29.............................................9-4....Pelini Fired
2013............................22.............................................38.............................................9-4
2012............................32.............................................22...........................................10-4
2011.............................16...........................................25..............................................9-4
2010.............................26............................................27..............................................10-4
2009.............................40...........................................14...............................................10-4
2008.............................24.............................................23................................................9-4....Pelini Hired
2007..............................19...........................................61................................................5-7....Callahan fired
2006..............................21............................................30...............................................9-5
2005..............................8..............................................24.................................................8-4
2004..............................27...........................................68..................................................5-6
I am looking forward to how HCSF and staff does in the next 5 years to see how we will do in this comparison. :Huskerflag: Especially when he gets all the players on his team that he recruited and Duvall has established his pipeline of players improving their athletic ability.

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careerteamwinloss

YearCoachW-L W/L %
2019-2020Scott Frost
4-6​
.400​
2018-2019Scott Frost
4-8
2017-18Mike Riley
4-8
.333​
2016-17Mike Riley
9-4
.692​
Music City Bowl
2015-16Mike Riley
6-7
.462​
Foster Farms Bowl
2014-15Barney Cotton(0-1) - Bo Pelini(9-3)
9-4
.692​
Interim - Holiday Bowl --
2013-14Bo Pelini
9-4
.692​
Holliday Bowl
2012-13Bo Pelini
10-4
.714​
Gator Bowl
2011-12Bo Pelini
9-4
.692​
Capital One Bowl
2010-11Bo Pelini
10-4
.714​
Holiday Bowl
2009-10Bo Pelini
10-4
.714​
Holiday Bowl
2008-09Bo Pelini
9-4
.692​
Gator Bowl
2007-08Bill Callahan
5-7
.417​
2006-07Bill Callahan
9-5
.643​
Cotton Bowl
2005-06Bill Callahan
8-4
.667​
Alamo Bowl
2004-05Bill Callahan
5-6
.455​

Last edited:

The 20 four star players leaving in the last year and half is telling on why this team is struggling so much. It will take time to restock talent. Honestly 4-2 is pretty good with the deficiencies this team has in 2019.
This is so overlooked by many people. It's a big reason I picked us to win 7 this year and said if we get 9 Frost should be in serious contention for coach of the year.

The 20 four star players leaving in the last year and half is telling on why this team is struggling so much. It will take time to restock talent. Honestly 4-2 is pretty good with the deficiencies this team has in 2019.

That’s pretty telling, if accurate. Is there a list somewhere?

That’s pretty telling, if accurate. Is there a list somewhere?
I made one. It is below. I mistakenly didn't include the "11 of 20" four-stars had left in above post. It wasn't 20 but 11 of 20.

NU had a big changeover when Riley was fired. Eleven of our 20 - four star recruits/athletes [2015-18] left the team after Frost was hired:
Year = 4 star recruits/Record/HC
2018 = 6 --------------- 4 - 8.... Scott Frost [50 new players] Four-4 Stars on scholarship quit [McGriff, Canty, Watts, Jackson]
2017 = 5 --------------- 4 - 8.... Riley.....four - 4 stars have left the team! [Lindsey, Roberts, Gebbia, Johnson]
2016 = 5 --------------- 9 - 4.... Riley.....one - 4 star has left team [Obrien]
2015 = 4 --------------- 6 - 7.... Riley.....two - 4 Stars has left team [Stevenson, Barnett]

Last edited:
I made one but mistakenly didn't include the "11 of 20" four-stars had left. It wasn't 20 but 11 of 20. Here it is:

NU had a big changeover when Riley was fired. Eleven of our 20 - four star recruits/athletes [2015-18] left the team after Frost was hired:
Year = 4 star recruits/Record/HC
2018 = 6 --------------- 4 - 8.... Scott Frost [50 new players] Four-4 Stars on scholarship quit [McGriff, Canty, Watts, Jackson]
2017 = 5 --------------- 4 - 8.... Riley.....four - 4 stars have left the team! [Lindsey, Roberts, Gebbia, Johnson]
2016 = 5 --------------- 9 - 4.... Riley.....one - 4 star has left team [Obrien]
2015 = 4 --------------- 6 - 7.... Riley.....two - 4 Stars has left team [Stevenson, Barnett]
Thank you for clarifying.

Well obviously we need stop going for the stars and go for 2 and 3 start players who meet our needs and have the intangibles! Sarcasm? I don't know. But it worked pretty well for T.O. Granted he had Tommie Fraziers but he had plenty of lower rated players as well that did pretty good. Perhaps knowing where the stars were from can give a hint if they will get homesick or easily loose morale and not be good teammates. Probably hard to make assumptions, but how often do 4 stars within the 500 mile target go back home vs. the 4 star from CA for example?

Last edited:
T.O. had a ton of highly rated players. Yes, they had great walk-ons as well. But considering Wistrom, Phillips, the Peter brothers, Minter, Green, Farley, Graham and Frazier. They were truly loaded.

11 4-stars leaving is pretty scary. The current recruiting class .... could be better. I hope they finish strong.

11 4-stars leaving is pretty scary. The current recruiting class .... could be better. I hope they finish strong.

As it stands and since 2000, it's the second highest average star rating that Nebraska has ever had - behind only last year's class. Of course, every team in the country's class "could be better", but I don't see how you're turning your nose up at this class.

As it stands and since 2000, it's the second highest average star rating that Nebraska has ever had - behind only last year's class. Of course, every team in the country's class "could be better", but I don't see how you're turning your nose up at this class.
mostly it's just the size. Nebraskas class has been smaller than its peers this entire recruiting cycle. It makes me nervous.

They had 17 at this time last year and were taking a bigger class. I wouldn’t be too worried about it now. If they start missing out on all their LB targets, I’ll join you in worrying.

Year (Rank) = 4 star recruits [updated]
2019 (#18) = 7 [Henrick, Ty Robinson, Benhart, W. Robinson, McCaffrey, Noa Pola-Gates, Darrion Daniels –transfer, Green]

Team rank will most likely be in-between 40-50?

Last edited:
Good article that reaffirms what most of us already know;

"So I checked to see how many of Frost’s own players there are on the starting lineups for offense and defense. The list is based on the two deep roster that was issued for the Indiana game. "

OFFENSE
Of the 11 Husker starters listed on Saturday’s Indiana game, there are only five players signed by Frost & Company: They are: Noah Vedral (QB), Dedrick Mills (RB), Kanawai Noa (WR), Wan’Dale Robinson (WR/RB) and Cam Jurgens (C).

DEFENSE
And on defense, things get worse for Frost players. Of the starting 11, there are only three on the starting list. They are: Darrion Daniels (NG), Caleb Tannor (LB) and Cam Taylor-Britt (S).

"With only two recruiting classes (actually only one complete cycle), Frost has not yet been able to field a team made of his own players."

Last edited:

Good article that reaffirms what most of us already know;

"So I checked to see how many of Frost’s own players there are on the starting lineups for offense and defense. The list is based on the two deep roster that was issued for the Indiana game. "

OFFENSE
Of the 11 Husker starters listed on Saturday’s Indiana game, there are only five players signed by Frost & Company: They are: Noah Vedral (QB), Dedrick Mills (RB), Kanawai Noa (WR), Wan’Dale Robinson (WR/RB) and Cam Jurgens (C).

DEFENSE
And on defense, things get worse for Frost players. Of the starting 11, there are only three on the starting list. They are: Darrion Daniels (NG), Caleb Tannor (LB) and Cam Taylor-Britt (S).

"With only two recruiting classes (actually only one complete cycle), Frost has not yet been able to field a team made of his own players."

That 2018 transition class has fallen apart at the seams. Need to either hit the JUCOs hard or assume that your rebuild falls behind a year. I’m guessing the latter will be the consequence.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back