• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting Gurus

At a minimum make it so that the recruits can get out of their LOI if they signed at the early signing period and the coach leaves before the 2nd signing day.

This seems like the reasonable middle ground. The student-athlete can re-assess where they best fit and the school still has the opportunity to go recruit kids to meet the needs of that program. If it were up to me, I would also allow two extra official visits to student-athletes that find themselves in this situation, as it's possible their previous suitors are full at their position.

I don't know the inner workings but like the transfer database that has recently been implemented. It allows the athlete to make his intentions known and shop around for the best fit The schools (coaches) know who is looking so they can plan for incoming or outgoing players in a transparent way.

I also think that specific events, I.E Head Coaches leaving or school sanctions for egregious penalties (not the athletes fault), allow athletes to transfer without penalty.

They aren't either an employee or a sub. And making a change to one of those would bring so many more issues into play.

Athletes don't have to accept the scholarship or to play a sport. They can chose, like every other non-athlete, to do whatever they want with no repercussions (meaning, they aren't going to get sued, go to jail, etc...).

I do agree, that at this time, the student/athlete is neither an employee or a sub-contractor. But as some on this board have acknowledged, college athletics is now more of a business than it used to be. A football player that decides to transfer, for whatever reason, is penalized by having to go a season without competing. This does hurt them by not being able to advance their abilities and experience of the game. This can hinder the development of those progressing toward an NFL career.

I know that it is more common when volleyball players request a transfer, they are not be forced to sit out a year (if released from their scholarship). I'm suggesting that all student/athletes automatically be released from their scholarship upon request. That way the athlete can chose, like every other non-athlete, to do whatever they want with no repercussions (like being forced to sit out a year of eligibility).

What I wrote on post #25 is more of an example of questions that will have to be answered if college athletics are treated more like a business. But with big money running college athletics, I fear this is the direction that we are headed.

If that comes to fruition the athlete will need an accountant to pay his/her income tax on their benefits and charge them for medical as the training staff is provided. Do they have to address retirement or just pay social security. I fear for the future of college football if it happens. Although NU is financially healthy they cannot compete with a number of other schools for financial benefits etc. Me thinks its getting out of hand. I played CFB but could not have afforded a college degree without the scholarship. A position most of our athletes continue to face. I would be interested in how many of the D1 schools are really flush with cash or is it just the elite/P5.
What is in red is what scholarships used to be, when the education was the most important. I very much agree with what is in dark blue.

What I advocate is scholarships be limited to 25 signed per year to a maximum of 125 on scholarship. The extra scholarships are for redshirts, medical redshirts, and walk-ons. Frequently, not all 125 scholarships will be used (saving the athletic department a few bucks).
Redshirts are for players that originally part of the 25 signees, but needed the fifth year to develop.
Medical redshirts are for players that originally part of the 25 signees, but missed a season because of injury.
Walk-ons will have paid their own way for a minimum of one year.
I added the definitions, because I know however I word something, there will be someone out there who will twist the rules to benefit themselves.

Part of what I'm looking for when I say I want to protect the student/athlete, is avoiding a student/athlete, who is in school for an education, follows all the team rules and requirements from having their scholarship pulled because we have another recruit coming in to who may be a better player. Or the student who transfers (because of a coaching change, NCAA sanctions, or anything else beyond the student/athlete's control, etc.) from being penalized.

As always, I'm open for suggestions and solutions.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back