• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting Gurus

Slippery slope. I’m of the opinion that if the HC leaves before you’re on campus, you have the option to void your LOI and sign somewhere else. It’s ridiculous this happens after signing day. Nebraska did it right, and then got their hire right.
I could live with that exception as well but I think some of this has to be on the school (firing a coach) and some needs to be on the kids signing (coach transfers).

It's not 100% fair, but nothing is. If you (and likely your parents/handlers/HC football coach, etc...) didn't realize you signed up to play for a dbag that was going to ditch you before you stepped on campus, some of that is on you. If we had a "before you're on campus" exception, I think it would change when coaches quit (which is a good thing).

But there are ~65 other scholarship kids on the team and they need to be looked at as well, IMO.

I could live with that exception as well but I think some of this has to be on the school (firing a coach) and some needs to be on the kids signing (coach transfers).

It's not 100% fair, but nothing is. If you (and likely your parents/handlers/HC football coach, etc...) didn't realize you signed up to play for a dbag that was going to ditch you before you stepped on campus, some of that is on you. If we had a "before you're on campus" exception, I think it would change when coaches quit (which is a good thing).

But there are ~65 other scholarship kids on the team and they need to be looked at as well, IMO.
I just don’t think a coach “transferring” needs to be on the kids. It’s not like they were told it was a possibility during the recruiting process. If the HC is gone, for whatever reason, let them out of their LOI.

Especially when the adults making these decisions are the only ones actually getting paid.

While I won't necessarily disagree with the premise of your post, I do disagree with the getting paid. Full cost scholarship, plus now at Nebraska a $2000 stipend, plus all the clothes, plus the prestige of being a football player seems to me to pay pretty well in comparison to the average student. Yes I know the amount of money those players bring into the university but lets not make these kids out to be poor student athletes.

I just don’t think a coach “transferring” needs to be on the kids. It’s not like they were told it was a possibility during the recruiting process. If the HC is gone, for whatever reason, let them out of their LOI.

At a minimum make it so that the recruits can get out of their LOI if they signed at the early signing period and the coach leaves before the 2nd signing day.

While I won't necessarily disagree with the premise of your post, I do disagree with the getting paid. Full cost scholarship, plus now at Nebraska a $2000 stipend, plus all the clothes, plus the prestige of being a football player seems to me to pay pretty well in comparison to the average student. Yes I know the amount of money those players bring into the university but lets not make these kids out to be poor student athletes.

No, but they aren't making $4M a year either. And that's the point is that the people getting paid big bucks can come and go as they please with no restriction.

At a minimum make it so that the recruits can get out of their LOI if they signed at the early signing period and the coach leaves before the 2nd signing day.
Agree. Protecting the school which is making millions seems silly. Make part of their “business decisions” have repercussions like at West Virginia if you don’t step up to the plate.

No, but they aren't making $4M a year either. And that's the point is that the people getting paid big bucks can come and go as they please with no restriction.

Not really sure how to rectify what is going on, it is not fair for the kids for sure, but a CEO of a business makes millions while the worker bees make piddle. Pretty soon the college ranks will be a minor league for the NFL and about that time, I think my interest in D1 football might wane a bit.

Not really sure how to rectify what is going on, it is not fair for the kids for sure, but a CEO of a business makes millions while the worker bees make piddle. Pretty soon the college ranks will be a minor league for the NFL and about that time, I think my interest in D1 football might wane a bit.

I'm not talking about paying players or necessarily criticizing coaches who make the kind of money they are getting. But I think it's an issue that a coach can move freely from one job to the next, sometimes within a conference, without any punishment. A player can't, even in the case of a coach leaving or getting fired.

That’s where my biggest gripe is in all of this. That athletes are getting paid and treated extremely well, but it’s “not enough” because they look at what college football makes. They don’t understand how many slices of that pie there are.

As I have said before on this board, I'm old enough to remember when college athletics was a sport. Scholarships were a way for a student to get schooling paid for. At that time, the education received was more important than the possible gateway to professional sports. Now that big money is involved, and taken over college athletics, maybe it is time for the whole system to be changed. As some on this board have acknowledged that college athletics is a big business, maybe it is time to treat it like a business.

Another question to be answered is "Is the Scholarship Athlete an Employee or Sub-contractor? If the Scholarship Athlete is an Employee, they would be eligible for all benefits afforded to all employees of Corporation (College or University). Most likely, the Corporation would opt to make the Scholarship Athlete a Sub-contractor, since this is a short-term job, (4 seasons maximum work time (eligibility), with a fifth year for training (redshirt year), and a possible sixth year (medical redshirt (also known as workman's comp))).

Letters of Intent need to be regarded as an Employer/Sub-contractor contract. This contract will state the start date of employment (the time of actual enrollment). Until the Sub-contractor is actually enrolled, both the Employer and Sub-contractor can opt out with no penalty to either party.

Once enrolled, the contract takes effect. The contract will have an end date for which both parties are obligated to uphold (no surprise transfers just a few days before the first game of the season).

Should the contract have a non-compete clause (losing one year of eligibility because of transfer)? Because of being a Sub-contractor, I believe non-compete clauses should be waived. This will affect most those who use 1-year renewable contracts (1 year LOI).

Is the contract between the Corporation (school) or a Division of the Corporation (Athletic Department) or a Department within the Division of the Corporation (football team) or the Management of Division (coaching staff), or a combination of all of the above? If there is a change in Management (for whatever reason), can Management choose to terminate the Sub-contractor, and bring in their own Sub-contractor (recruiting new players)? Should the Sub-contractor be given the option to stay or be released, without penalty? I believe all levels of the Corporation should have the option for full release, without penalty. This would need to be spelled out in the Contract. All Contracts would have to be approved by a governing body (NCAA).

I'm sure many of you would have different provisions you would add to the contract. It seems now the athletics are more important than the education opportunity. With the large sums of money involved, I can understand. Possibly the education shouldn't even be considered when deciding eligibility. For the Sub-contractor, maybe all the some of them need is a Bachelor's Degree in Football. Then move on to the NFL.

As I have said before on this board, I'm old enough to remember when college athletics was a sport. Scholarships were a way for a student to get schooling paid for. At that time, the education received was more important than the possible gateway to professional sports. Now that big money is involved, and taken over college athletics, maybe it is time for the whole system to be changed. As some on this board have acknowledged that college athletics is a big business, maybe it is time to treat it like a business.

Another question to be answered is "Is the Scholarship Athlete an Employee or Sub-contractor? If the Scholarship Athlete is an Employee, they would be eligible for all benefits afforded to all employees of Corporation (College or University). Most likely, the Corporation would opt to make the Scholarship Athlete a Sub-contractor, since this is a short-term job, (4 seasons maximum work time (eligibility), with a fifth year for training (redshirt year), and a possible sixth year (medical redshirt (also known as workman's comp))).

Letters of Intent need to be regarded as an Employer/Sub-contractor contract. This contract will state the start date of employment (the time of actual enrollment). Until the Sub-contractor is actually enrolled, both the Employer and Sub-contractor can opt out with no penalty to either party.

Once enrolled, the contract takes effect. The contract will have an end date for which both parties are obligated to uphold (no surprise transfers just a few days before the first game of the season).

Should the contract have a non-compete clause (losing one year of eligibility because of transfer)? Because of being a Sub-contractor, I believe non-compete clauses should be waived. This will affect most those who use 1-year renewable contracts (1 year LOI).

Is the contract between the Corporation (school) or a Division of the Corporation (Athletic Department) or a Department within the Division of the Corporation (football team) or the Management of Division (coaching staff), or a combination of all of the above? If there is a change in Management (for whatever reason), can Management choose to terminate the Sub-contractor, and bring in their own Sub-contractor (recruiting new players)? Should the Sub-contractor be given the option to stay or be released, without penalty? I believe all levels of the Corporation should have the option for full release, without penalty. This would need to be spelled out in the Contract. All Contracts would have to be approved by a governing body (NCAA).

I'm sure many of you would have different provisions you would add to the contract. It seems now the athletics are more important than the education opportunity. With the large sums of money involved, I can understand. Possibly the education shouldn't even be considered when deciding eligibility. For the Sub-contractor, maybe all the some of them need is a Bachelor's Degree in Football. Then move on to the NFL.
They aren't either an employee or a sub. And making a change to one of those would bring so many more issues into play.

Athletes don't have to accept the scholarship or to play a sport. They can chose, like every other non-athlete, to do whatever they want with no repercussions (meaning, they aren't going to get sued, go to jail, etc...).

They aren't either an employee or a sub. And making a change to one of those would bring so many more issues into play.

Athletes don't have to accept the scholarship or to play a sport. They can chose, like every other non-athlete, to do whatever they want with no repercussions (meaning, they aren't going to get sued, go to jail, etc...).
To a lesser degree, it's what always bothers me when people compare the NFL or whatever to slavery. It's an insult to people that actually lived it. College players not getting paid enough is an insult to people not getting 1/10th of what they get.

To a lesser degree, it's what always bothers me when people compare the NFL or whatever to slavery. It's an insult to people that actually lived it. College players not getting paid enough is an insult to people not getting 1/10th of what they get.
The part where they aren't forced to do it and they could always be just another regular 18 year old joe is always left out of the discussion on "pay the players more, because lots of money is coming in".

The part where they aren't forced to do it and they could always be just another regular 18 year old joe is always left out of the discussion on "pay the players more, because lots of money is coming in".
It's over 100k they get yearly at places like USC with tuition over 50k. Gear, plane tickets, meals, tutors, etc. The thing is, we could just hand them a check for this amount, but they wouldn't pay for what they are getting and would waste it in some instances.

If that comes to fruition the athlete will need an accountant to pay his/her income tax on their benefits and charge them for medical as the training staff is provided. Do they have to address retirement or just pay social security. I fear for the future of college football if it happens. Although NU is financially healthy they cannot compete with a number of other schools for financial benefits etc. Me thinks its getting out of hand. I played CFB but could not have afforded a college degree without the scholarship. A position most of our athletes continue to face. I would be interested in how many of the D1 schools are really flush with cash or is it just the elite/P5.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back