• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Receiver Stepping Up in Senior Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS Husker

Recruit
5 Year Member
Seems like it goes back to Swift and Peterson since any of our senior receivers (including TE's) really improved production from their Jr. year.

I didn't look up hard stats but Kinnie, Paul, McNeill, Holt, Gilleyen et al. seemed to put up bigger numbers as Jrs.

Hopefully we see this trend reverse this year with Reed and Cotton.

The battle for playing time should be intense at several positions with real depth now for the first time in a long while. Bo wants a 50/50 split when it comes to pass/run ratio. The receivers positions will be one of those positions with serious competition. Tim Marlowe the professor of the position. Quincy Enunma with good hands as well as size and blocking prowess. Kenny Bell with his speed. All returning regulars for coach Fisher.

Then there is Jamal Turner. Slippery and explosive and with a new attitude. The wild card in all this is the arrival of Westerkamp and Wullenwaber. Of all places for a receiver with a true pedigree for the position to go, he comes to Lincoln. He (Westerkamp) may be very tough to keep off the field. In high school he made the position look very easy. Tyler Wullenwaber is said to be the fastest football player on campus. If he could run by our touted cornerbacks in practice, he should be able to catch defenders attentions.

Still there are others who have paid their dues and waited their turns. Steven Osborne, Tyler Evans, Allen Taarig and KC Hyland. Not counting a handful of freshmen. Should be interesting considering we have a couple of veteran tight ends that will be hard to keep off the field. In year two of Beck's offense there should be some emphasis on the little things that were overlooked in last years transition to a new playbook. A better understanding and more time for refinement.

It all comes down to our veteran quarterback. Can he make progress in his second season in this new playbook? Can the rumors of his progress be true and to what extent? Close to thirty bodies fighting for the five spots on the offensive line should make strides in protection. Funny thing how good they get as upperclassmen. It should make defenses have to pick their fate. With the many bodies available one would think that they will find better quality.

On paper this group of receivers could be tough to deal with for defenses. The combination of speed, toughness and experience could catch defensive coordinators attention. Maybe they will be more reluctant to stuff the box. If they do, just maybe one on one matchups will go our way more often this season. I would imagine Westerkamp and Wullenwaber will get a good look come August. Maybe not as starters but as weapons non the less. Then there is Turner. The veterans have their hands full this summer.

Last edited:

The staff trusts Bell and Marlowe to line up correctly and always run the correct routes - I think their spots are safe - that leaves Enunwa, Turner, Westerkamp, Allen, and the others battling for one, maybe two other spots, assuming we lineup with at least 1 TE and RB

Seems like it goes back to Swift and Peterson since any of our senior receivers (including TE's) really improved production from their Jr. year.

I didn't look up hard stats but Kinnie, Paul, McNeill, Holt, Gilleyen et al. seemed to put up bigger numbers as Jrs.

Hopefully we see this trend reverse this year with Reed and Cotton.

Thes guy were inconsistant through out their time in Lincoln. The group of recievers we have currently are much better in my opinion and will be a big part of our O this year. GBR

With Wallenwaber and Reed on the field at the same time the Huskers could have as much receiver speed as any team in the country.

Another great post Train...now review the defensive line and LB's and make relax as we head into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back